Lost Thai Birth Certificate

doctormann

Hi

My Thai wife seems to have mislaid / lost her birth certificate and we really need this to support an application for an enhancement to my UK state pension.

Does anyone know the best way to get a replacement? Must she travel several hundred km to the province of her birth, only to find out, possibly, that her records have been lost, or is there an easier way. Can a replacement be obtained at our local Amphur, for example, or from some central records office in Bangkok?

Any suggestions / help gratefully received.

DM

mine had to go to her local amphur,take her mother,uncle,and head honch as witnesses,as they could not find records of birth eventually after long serch they were found and then she had to go to local police to confirm everthing,it was all sorted out in the end,about 2hours it took.ps ive been waiting 2 months for my pension top up.

mine had to go to her local amphur,take her mother,uncle,and head honch as witnesses,as they could not find records of birth eventually after long serch they were found and then she had to go to local police to confirm everthing,it was all sorted out in the end,about 2hours it took.ps ive been waiting 2 months for my pension top up.

Thanks for that info. We'll try the local Amphur first and if that doesn't work I guess that it will mean a trip up-country.

As I understand it, the application for the pension enhancement needs to be made before April 2010 as after that time that particular allowance is being stopped. However, if a successful claim is made before then, the allowance will be paid until April 2020 and is about £60 per week, depending on the level of the basic pension. Amounts to a tidy sum over a ten-year period.

I assume that you needed to get the certificate translated, legalised at the MFA and then notarised by the UK Embassy?

DM

Thanks for that info. We'll try the local Amphur first and if that doesn't work I guess that it will mean a trip up-country.

As I understand it, the application for the pension enhancement needs to be made before April 2010 as after that time that particular allowance is being stopped. However, if a successful claim is made before then, the allowance will be paid until April 2020 and is about £60 per week, depending on the level of the basic pension. Amounts to a tidy sum over a ten-year period.

I assume that you needed to get the certificate translated, legalised at the MFA and then notarised by the UK Embassy?

DM

not sure what you mean.about certificate,i had both marrige and birth translated, and sent originals and translated ones to the pension service,they asked me for n/i number about 2 weeks later as i had not got one at time,and im still waiting,they only back date apps for 3 months as well

All you have to do is go to any Amphur, as they all have computers and are online. For Thais that have never had a birth Certificate, then they have to bring the Puyai Ban, and two family members to swear they know the proper date of birth.

Barry

True all (or most or almost all?) have computers, but my experiences (i.e., my wife's) say you have to go to the Amphur in which your household is currently registered to do all this. So if your wife moved her registered domicile to where you live now, go to the local Amphur. If she left it in her home town/birthplace, she will have to return there. And she may have to go to both.

My wife had to get some paperwork from her "birth" amphur and take it to her registered domicle amphur to get the certificate.

So, based on at least one couple's experiences, be prepared for this possible outcome/paper trail.

I sent my birth certificate, our marriage certificate and my wife's birth certificate (plus a scanned copy) off to Newcastle in June and within a couple of weeks they were returned and I received my state pension.

When I asked about the dependents allowance and a National Insurance number for my wife they told me to send her birth certificate in as I had only sent a copy to which I replied that I had already done so and they had returned it.

OK can you please resend it so I did on 20th July and I am still waiting both for the NI number and also my wife's birth certificate.

They did say however that the allowance would be backdated to my receiving the state pension in May so I will not lose out.

The state pension in my case is paid to my offshore bank every 28 days and is free of tax.

At the moment the tax free allowance for persons over 65 is GBP 9,250 per year.

Anything over that amount is taxed at 20%.

I DO wish they would hurry up though.

:):D :D

I have just spoken to the pensions department in Newcastle and they told me that they sent my wife's birth certificate off yesterday and I should get it back next week. :):D

To get the dependents allowance takes between 8 to 10 weeks from the date of receipt of the completed application which you have to fill in and send off with your wife's birth certificate.

The Pensions department in New castle will post it out to you.

I sent my wife's birth certificate to the UK by EMS post and it cost around 950 baht I thinks and they returned the last lot to me by TNT from the UK and then EMS from Khampaeng Phet 65 km away.

DM

not sure what you mean.about certificate,i had both marrige and birth translated, and sent originals and translated ones to the pension service,they asked me for n/i number about 2 weeks later as i had not got one at time,and im still waiting,they only back date apps for 3 months as well

I was referring to the Birth Certificate that we don't actually seem to have - yet. I'm not entirely sure how we managed to get married without this document but we certainly did!

I already have a legalised and notarised translation of our marriage papers, along with the originals, so this is not a problem.

Thanks, everyone, for your helpful replies. We're off to our local Amphur next week, with a couple of suitable witnesses in tow

so here's hoping for a successful outcome.

DM