Prawit: Army Won't Use Force On Sept 19

webfact

Prawit: Army won't use force on Sept 19

Writer: BangkokPost.com

Published: 9/09/2009 at 01:25 PM

The military will not use force against the red-shirt protesters who plan a mass rally on Sept 19, the third anniversary

of the coup that ousted Thaksin Shinawatra, Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwon said Wednesday.

The army was ready to ensure safety at state offices, he said, adding that he hoped all parties involved would avoid violence.

Gen Prawit said that the government was continuing to monitor the red-shirt movement. Political gatherings were allowed, but protesters must not create chaos.

The defence minister said it was not his responsibility to speak with the leaders of the red-shirt movement. That was the responsibility of the police and Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban, who is in charge of security matters.

Asked if Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva had spoken to him about the rally, Gen Prawit said, ''No''.

The prime minister does not give him direct orders, he said. Mr Suthep was taking care of security, so Mr Abhisit would issue his instructions through Mr Suthep.

He then refused to comment on the National Anti-Corruption Commission's ruling on his bother, national police chief Patcharawat Wongsuwon, saying that this issue was nothing to do with him.

The NACC has charged Pol Gen Patcharawat with committing criminal and disciplinary offences in connection with the lethal crackdown last Oct 7 on protesters led by the yellow-shirt movement.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009/09/09

I think what Prawit really meant was Suthep develops the strategies in tandem with others and then tells Abhisit what to say, usually something vague and non-committal like, "We will ensure public safety." or "We will request the assistance of the army if the requirement is there." Nong Mark is a long way from calling the shots yet.

What we will hear in the run up to Sept 19:

Army wont use force

Police will only use normal measures

Demonstration will be peaceful

It is all non-news really as who is going to say:

The army will use force?

The police will go mental?

The demonstration will be violent?

I also predict that we'll hear something about third parties.

I further predict that the PAD will say they are staying home.

etc etc

Prawit: Army won't use force on Sept 19

The military will not use force against the red-shirt protesters who plan a mass rally on Sept 19, the third anniversary

of the coup ...

it's september 19, the third anniversary of a military coup and some Gen makes headlines announcing that the army will not use force against protesters and is ready to ensure safety. brilliant.

I do believe I will stay home that day.

I hope it is peaceful.

Considering the police chief brother of the defence minister has just been inactivated (deserves a thread imho) and that the PM will be in NY for that period there is room for all kinds of odd developmets. Oh and of course Thaksin and his lietanants are aware of this and will do all they can to stir it more. Unless of course they see it all as a trap or would prefer Abhisit around. It gets complicated. The PAD sit quietly by for now.

Most of these days pass without incident. However, we shouldnt get complacent

They army won't use force eh, I wonder who was telling them they should?

One interrogatory statement invites another: Who would benefit by the use of force? Certainly not the government or the people of Thailand.

Take a statement from the people who benefited from the illegal military coup.

post-88874-1252539150.jpg

One interrogatory statement invites another: Who would benefit by the use of force? Certainly not the government or the people of Thailand.

Ditto.

Force would benefit only those wanting chaos,

and that list is very, very short : T.

It's a bad likeness of Thaksin,

but that square head sure fits on the round HOLE.

But who has his hand so firmly up his.... chute.

Is he that flexible himself?

Edited by animatic

It's a bad likeness of Thaksin,

but that square head sure fits on the round HOLE.

But who has his hand so firmly up his.... chute.

Is he that flexible himself?

Cue dodgy jokes about prostrates ......stimulation..... a bit below the belt..... considering the rumours