British Tourist Dies In Chiang Mai

george

I'm sorry to read this.

Any death, whatever the lifestyle or circumstances of the deceased, is a loss, IMHO.

George posts these as general interest articles for public consumption, on the appropriate sub-forum, as a public service.

RIP, British Tourist.... :)

What's the point of the post?

Certainly more point to it then your posts. Some forum members or even family members may wish to know what happened and why and look towards TV for more information, it's called a News article for a reason. Enough bickering anyway, what's the point. :)

The point is that, in my view, this sort of post serves no useful purpose. It just seems chiefly to satisfy morbid curiosity.

I agree that family members are most likely very interested in more details, and I hope that consular officials have done their thing and that the family has gotten word as soon as possible in what strikes me as a sad private matter, but not as serious news. Have a lot of British tourists died of "needle attacks" lately? Now, that would be news. The report of the incident itself may be called a "news article," but that doesn't mean it is newsworthy. It seems more in the "If it bleeds, it leads" category of popular TV news and cheap news rag above the fold pictures of bleeding bodies.

Getting news on CM Visa?! Public service?! Which end of the horse are we talking about?

I am not bickering. I just see less than scant usefulness in this sort of post, and I do not find the arguments for it at all convincing.

I am not bickering.

Let's call it what it is then, trolling - attempts to disrupt the forum with off topic and argumentative comments. You've had your say, multiple times and off topic on each.

This is a formal warning that further off topic, argumentative or disruptive posts will be deleted and/or penalties handed out. Topics reporting a death of someone will be dealt with more strictly then most due to the potential of family members or friends reading it.

What's the point of the post?

Certainly more point to it then your posts. Some forum members or even family members may wish to know what happened and why and look towards TV for more information, it's called a News article for a reason. Enough bickering anyway, what's the point. :)

The point is that, in my view, this sort of post serves no useful purpose. It just seems chiefly to satisfy morbid curiosity.

I agree that family members are most likely very interested in more details, and I hope that consular officials have done their thing and that the family has gotten word as soon as possible in what strikes me as a sad private matter, but not as serious news. Have a lot of British tourists died of "needle attacks" lately? Now, that would be news. The report of the incident itself may be called a "news article," but that doesn't mean it is newsworthy. It seems more in the "If it bleeds, it leads" category of popular TV news and cheap news rag above the fold pictures of bleeding bodies.

Getting news on CM Visa?! Public service?! Which end of the horse are we talking about?

I am not bickering. I just see less than scant usefulness in this sort of post, and I do not find the arguments for it at all convincing.

Dear Mapguy

No morbid curiousity here, nor on Thai Visa's part.

When someone dies, who is an expat resident here in Thailand, generally there is a posting, and some internet chatter about it.

If you are bothered by these kind of postings, it is always an option to simply ignore and click past them.

Some folks read the obits daily, others are terrified of the mention of death in any form....

To each their own.

Thank you Tywais!!

Once again for mapguy, george posted because it is a news item that would be of interest to many expats in Thailand.

You didn't think george's post served any useful purpose??? Well then, what the hel_l does your original post do??? Even less I would have thought.

You can protest all you like, but your response is a childish, cliched response I see on many forums, posted by those who have nothing to say that is worth listening to, who think they are funny, and seek to be provocative. There are a few of these lunatics who frequent most forums, unfortunately.

If I was a moderator here, I would be taking a hard line on you right now; no more chances. Your IP address would be blocked as the originator of future posts.

Take a good look at yourself, and if you don't see an immature, foolish person, you are deluding yourself.

Edited by F4UCorsair

So, what is the point of the post, George?

Cold as ice.

More to the point, <deleted> is the point of your inane post! Would you have made it if the lad were your son, grandson, brother, nephew, friend?...

ESPECIALLY if the lad were my son, grandson, brother or friend then I would wonder what the point of the post is. I'd probably object even more in that case.

I have had three friends pass away this year in Thailand.

I had to be contacted by my local bar to let me know...

We don't always keep in everyday close contact with some of our friends here in Thailand and its sad to hear yes, but posting here is the best way to pass information on. Sometimes THAI VISA is a great tool to get the word out.

I for one knew Richard and if not for TV I would not know about his unfortunate death.

God speed Richard...

Services are being held for Richard at Wat Luang in Pai until his cremation scheduled for Thursday @ 1:00 PM.

Apparently he had been somewhat unwell and the cause of death as best I can understand appears to have been determined to be some type of pneumonia or congestive heart failure.

I believe Richard died due to sleep apnea (interrupted breathing during sleep), largely unknown condition that is characterised by loud snoring. He must have had this condition for quite some time. The body is deprived of oxygen and can lead to death in the sleep.

It is of course sad when a younger person dies and that should go without saying - but I have to admit I am with Mapguy on the issue of needing to post the news cutting on TV in this case. If the article pointed to unusual or suspicious circumstances I would understand the degree to which it was believed to be newsworthy - as things stand the article simply reports a fairly routine event and its only claim to be newsworthy here is that it involves a farang in Thailand. (In the US some 2% of the population of this young mans age die of natural causes each year and a further 12% die of accidental causes). Sorry, that's how I see things.

I am a very close friend of Richard and while trying to make sense of it all searched google to see if any news stories came up and came across this. He was 32 not 33 and James was his middle name, doesn't really matter though. It is upsetting to hear some of the speculation, it was nothing to do with drugs and I found the speculation for an ulterior motive due to money extrememly offensive to his lovely partner. We have been told it was due to a type of pnemonia and it's best left alone now.

Cloudhopper, if you attended the cremation I hope it went well, I couldn't come out from England due to having a very young baby and am gutted I couldn't be there.

RIP Rich

I believe Richard died due to sleep apnea (interrupted breathing during sleep), largely unknown condition that is characterised by loud snoring. He must have had this condition for quite some time. The body is deprived of oxygen and can lead to death in the sleep.

This sounds correct to me. People can live with it for years and die suddenly.

I thought that was worth posting as did george; many expats in Thailand, and it is of interest.

Obviously Mapguy thought it wasn't, but why the smart ar$e comment?? Seems like a case of immaturity to me Mapguy, and a little sensitivity would be better received than a half witted attempt at being funny.

Here's a tip. It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're an idiot instead of opening it and confirming their thoughts!!

I think it's sad that somebody/anybody dies at 33, regardless of the circumstances. He more than likely has surviving family, and it will be a tough time for them; a mother and father somewhere without a son, and siblings who have lost their brother. That they may not establish the circumstances with any certainty will be distressing for them.

This is like,...."It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're an idiot instead of opening it and confirming their thoughts!!" :)