Computer Freezes When Writing Emails

coventry

Personally - I'm going to disagree with everyone and say it sounds more like his PC is overheating, especially if it's actually freezing, not just going very slowly. Admittedly more RAM would help as he's paging to disk, and the hard disk generate a bit of heat.

1. Confirmation... download a CPU temp monitor - speedfan, coretemp, etc. that will display the current CPU temperature, and let you see if it's getting hotter (will confirm heat is the problem, or if I'm wrong...)

2. If heat is the problem, check the cable for the fan on your cpus heatsink hasn't become disconnected from the motherboard. If it doesn't look like a good heatsink, it might be worth replacing it, and it's always a good idea to have at least one case fan blowing the hot air out of the case, with possibly another blowing air into the case, straight onto the hard drives.

3. There's software called cool n quiet for AMD processors. For XP, I think you need to download a driver, and turn it on in the BIOS. That will basically make the cpu stop running at full speed when it's not busy, and greatly reduce the temperatures. If you're running vista or windows 7, the driver is part of the operating system.

You should definitely look at increasing your RAM though. It's cheap to increase, and since you're currently paging to disk, it will make it noticeably more responsive. I am wondering though if you might have a virus as you're actively using a lot of memory if the only thing running is word.

Well, I had the same email problem, especially when using yahoo and this was on a brand new computer. My software was not authentic; it was pirated and installed by a shop at Pantip Plaza. The email problem was the first thing I noticed when things started to go so bad I had to take it back within a week. I got really heated up and to make a long story short they gave me a new computer with authentic software from the manufacturer. I have not had that email problem since. So, my question to the OP is, how do you know if your software is genuine? Because if it's not, you might be headed for worse problems, believe me. It sounds very much like you have the same problem I had and it damaged my hard drive.

- Many people write their e-mails online especially in internet cafes

Dont ever remove your AV protection - that will simply exacerbate your problems.

- Unless it is suspected to be the problem, and is being investigated.

Leave Skype alone - next thing is some idiot will tell you to remove XP

- No comment on that one, though I do prefer Vista :)

I'm not going to remove this post, as the intent is quite clear. However please read this thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Point-Point-...es-t287357.html and the forum rules:-

29. To not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

Well, I had the same email problem, especially when using yahoo and this was on a brand new computer. My software was not authentic; it was pirated and installed by a shop at Pantip Plaza. The email problem was the first thing I noticed when things started to go so bad I had to take it back within a week. I got really heated up and to make a long story short they gave me a new computer with authentic software from the manufacturer. I have not had that email problem since. So, my question to the OP is, how do you know if your software is genuine? Because if it's not, you might be headed for worse problems, believe me. It sounds very much like you have the same problem I had and it damaged my hard drive.
Of course my software isn't genuine, as per the majority of computers here in Thailand, in my opinion. I'm not saying your wrong Effective Anger, and I appreciate your input, but if not using genuine software was the cause, most people in Thailand would have the same problem.

As I wrote before, when starting my computer it sometimes doesn't recognise the keyboard, and is correctable by unplugging and reinserting it in another port. Another problem I get is that a few times my computer won't play sound. I managed to sort that by rebooting whilst depressing the F8 key.

I did read, on the web, that all these problems can be caused by my memory cards, computer having 2, being incompatible with each other being the problem ? Or did I misread things ?

Sometimes when switching on my computer my keyboard doesn't come on. So I have to unplug it and reinsert it into a different port before it'll work.

It sounds like you have some basic hardware problems, which may also be affecting your e-mail.

As you seem to be a newbie, I suggest you take the box down to your local shop and have them check it out.

Unless you want to open the box yourself and reseat all the boards?? No, I thought not. :)