Private Water Jets In Phuket

dartvidar

Hi, it lots of talking about ban of water jets in Phuket. For me it looks like it coming from this people who rent out water jets, and let people drive in and out from the beach the whole day, and make all this scams happen.

Is this ban only for commercial use/rental or is it also for private leisure?

I like to use water jets as a small boats, because its easier to handle and store.

I use the water jet for diving, and exploring new places and beaches. If I want to have some fun, then I ride far away from shore side so I don't disturb people. Will this also be banned? If this also will be banned (That will be a shame).

Then they should also ban all the scooters on the Island.

Does some one know the rules for using private water jets in Phuket?

I know you need Thai Captains license, does anyone know how farang can get this captains license?

Is it the same way as get a Thai driving license?

I have a similar certificate from Europe for small private boats under 50 feet, can this be converted over to Thai?

I hope some one with knowlage and same interest as me will take time to answer.

Thanks

Owning a jetski isnt that simple.. Technically you need a Thai captains license, this is rarely enforced but it means you will always be doing something illegal so can always be stopped..

Secondly if you want to launch from any west coast beach you tend to find the jetski mafias want a fee, so you can use thier beach.. You need to pay or come back to a vandalised car so in general it makes owning your own jetski an exercise in who you know.

I remember someone sepnding a couple hundred 1000 on a jetski to be told he couldnt use it.. Then having to sell it to the very guys who told him that.. Kinda annoying.

Everything seems to be up in the air at the moment.

The governor seems to have said that jet-skis can be used for sport and not a business and that people how use them need to be licensed.

The way that i understand the above is that you would be fine, because you're using it for sport and not for a business.

I am not sure what the rules are for being a licence holder.

I think there are maritime police at chalong pier who could help you?

I personally wouldnt rate my chances about launching and recovering a jet-ski from Patong beach in this particular climate.

Wouldnt a RIB dinghy be better for what you need anyway?

The licence is actually a 2nd Class Helmsman certificate, which is valid for vessels up to 30 tonnes. Probably the best thing is to visit the Marine 5 office just inside the Deep Water Port at the end of Cape Panwa, and ask about registering the jet ski, and also the 'boat licence'. I got my certificate in about 30 minutes, and like the Thai driving licence, is valid for 1 year initially. The only things that I needed were passport copies, photographs, and Certificate of Residence (obtained from Immigration Office - though beware, they are now enforcing evidence of residence i.e. rental/lease agreement along with copy of property owner's Thai ID card, and signature!).

Do any one know if all this talking about baning of jet skis, also involving private use.

I under stand, it should be banned for commercial use where people drive in and out of the beach all day.

I will try to get this mate license, whats the price?

Do anyone have experience with launching small boats or water jets in Chalong or Kata?

I really think you should go talk to some people about owning small water craft..

In kamala one guy thought he would buy his own longtail to use for fun.. then once it was bought he found he wasnt able to use it.. the locals stole the engine.. Then when he replaced that he had to pay huge 'mooring' fees.. Then when he went to go take it out one day it was tied up behind 4 or 5 other boats, it was moored all right, but couldnt be unmoored when he wanted.

Another guy has a RIB.. If he goes to launch that with mates the beach boys are striaght over.. Cannot this.. cannot that.. Giving everyone the 3rd degree "how you know him" etc to make sure hes not taking customers out because thats their turf.. Just major hassle.

A few years ago one of my neighbours had a jet ski and had no problems using it at Patong beach .... BUT he had to buy it at an inflated second hand price from a jet ski operator and had to pay a monthly fee for launch & recovery and had to pay very expensive repair bills to the jet ski guys. In the end he gave it back to the operator for nothing. An expensive exercise.

A few years ago one of my neighbours had a jet ski and had no problems using it at Patong beach .... BUT he had to buy it at an inflated second hand price from a jet ski operator and had to pay a monthly fee for launch & recovery and had to pay very expensive repair bills to the jet ski guys. In the end he gave it back to the operator for nothing. An expensive exercise.

Those are the exact kind of 'problems' I mean..

Which is all about being 'legal'. Check with Marine 5 about registration, get your necessary licences, and then whenever you want to launch/recover and somebody objects, then it's a simple case of 'if you show me your's, I'll show you mine' (paperwork that is!).

Which is all about being 'legal'. Check with Marine 5 about registration, get your necessary licences, and then whenever you want to launch/recover and somebody objects, then it's a simple case of 'if you show me your's, I'll show you mine' (paperwork that is!).

Do make sure though you have some physical protection, because you're going to need it.