Hardware Firewall

george

I want to buy a hardware firewall to secure a desktop with broadband.

What can you guys recommend? I want something I can configure via a web interface, i guess. Linksys? D-Link?

TIA!

Watchguard Soho firewall, george

http://www.watchguard.com/products/soho.asp

great for small home and office. linux based by the way :o

retails around 500$ in the us for a 10 pc's license.

resellers in thailand

Netcare Solutions Co.,Ltd. City: Bangkok

E-Mail Reseller Phone: 6626340422-3

Syscom Computer (Thailand) Co., Ltd City: Tungmahamek, Sathorn

E-Mail Reseller Phone: 6626795595

NEC (Thailand) City: Bangkok

Phone: 6622591192

$500 seems a bit excessive to secure a single desktop.

You can pick up quite a few hardware ADSL modem / Router / NAT Firewall combination boxes in Pantip / IT Mall.

Personally, I've got an SMC Barricade, cost about 6,500 baht last year, but that also included an 802.11b/g access point for wireless access as well. But Linksys, Dlink, etc. are all available. Without wireless you're probably talking 3-4,000 for a big-name manufacturer, less for a no-name Chinese maker...

I do also run a software firewall on the PCs as well, but, other than the PC I set up as the DMZ box, none of them have popped up any warning boxes, so that standard NAT firewall in the router seems fairly secure. (I'm not saying watchguard isn't better, but for 5 times the price, it would have to be...)

Soho ok - I have one shoved away in a console drawer after I received the raptor!! :o

congratulations! Raptor rules.

but for desktop - why not Zone Alarm Suite ?

Linksys is good too, it was purchased by Cisco, as i heard. but to manage it - no thanks.

brit, tell more about your raptor, pls.

You can pick up quite a few hardware ADSL modem / Router / NAT Firewall combination boxes in Pantip / IT Mall.

Personally, I've got an SMC Barricade, cost about 6,500 baht last year, but that also included an 802.11b/g access point for wireless access as well. But Linksys, Dlink, etc. are all available. Without wireless you're probably talking 3-4,000 for a big-name manufacturer, less for a no-name Chinese maker...

I have used SMC barricades for about 5 years now both in the UK on Cable Internet and here in Thailand with IPStar Broadband.

Never had any problems using the units - Here in Thailand we have 10 PC's connected through the SMC Barricade in the Internet Cafe.

Last week I purchased The SMC2804WBR - which has the wireless access point in it also from Pantip and it was only 3800 baht - so has come down in price a lot.

SMC also have good support - One unit in the UK developed a fault and they sent out a replacement before I returned the faulty unit. Great Service.

That's a little steep Dark, I paid $65cdn /2050baht for a D-link 604 recently.

cv

I would never call something a firewall when it's got "D-link" AKA "Cheap network crap" plastered on it :D

You still get what you pay for :o

Cheap or not, it's been doing the job well. I've never had a break in or any router related downtime. Besides, we're talking desktops here. Why pay the price of a second desktop to guard the first when a "cheap network crap" router will do the job? If you're guarding a bank, fine, a desktop you have to be realistic.

cv

how about a linux based PC acting as the firewall?

u could get a really old box(in case u dont have one lying around) for like 2000 to 4000 baht...u need 2 network cards....ask your friendly linux geek to burn u a live CD with scaled down linux with a really good firewall which could be configured via http....

A P1 is good enough....u dont need harddisks....monitor, keyboard....for the install u can use your keyboard n monitor....then remove it....that too in case of live CD u dont need those also....

all u need is a CD ROM and a floppy disk drive(for the configs)...

linux is a stable OS....never heard of infection in linux....even if it does u just reboot the live CD.

visit here for the live distributions for firewalls.

http://www.livecdlist.com/index.php?pick=l...owonly=firewall

again i echo cdnvic, why another desktop to secure a single desktop?

we dont know what secret and critical stuff he has on his desktop...only he knows that....

A 1.5 Gig hard disk is cheap and will hold most distributions, and will have a quicker response time and lower failure rate than a cd-rom.

There's also a much steeper learning curve for these firewalls, plus they draw alot more power if thats an issue.

Linux is a type of operating system, not an operating system in itself, and has among its family many buggy releases so unless you are familiar with it, I wouldn't blindly install it without researching what linix distributions are stable and mostly bug free. If you go this route I'd strongly recommend freeBSD over McUnix (Linux).

Again, its alot of trouble to go to when a dlink or linksys will do the job just fine.

cv

I have a D-Link DSL G604T, which is a wireless router and modem, with 4 cable ports as

well. It includes firewall and is configured from your web browser.

The cost was about 5000 baht

I have a D-Link DSL G604T, which is a wireless router and modem, with 4 cable ports as

well.  It includes firewall and is configured from your web browser.

The cost was about 5000 baht

Where did you pick it up from?

I'm looking for something similar which has VPN connectivity. Couldn't really find anything in Pantip when looking this week.