Anyone Have A Concrete Bathroom Floor?

Tokay

I'm making a concrete bathroom and will use a sealant and I know it's going to make the floor very slick when I step out of the shower.

I do not want to use a mat, and back in the states we had a product that we could pour on floors to make them less slippery.

Anyone know of such a product here?

I'm making a concrete bathroom and will use a sealant and I know it's going to make the floor very slick when I step out of the shower.

I do not want to use a mat, and back in the states we had a product that we could pour on floors to make them less slippery.

:)

Not specifically....but my Thai wife and I just had the 2nd floor (master bedroom) area redone, and she specified the details with the contractor while our youngest son supervised the project. We had non-slip floor tiles installed in the bathroom. Wasn't much difference in the cost and it was well worth any extra expense, but you have to make sure that the non-slip tiles are specified when the job is bid.

We are both in our 60's and the non-slip tile was a good idea for us. I've tried it, and it works well.

:D

Not specifically....but my Thai wife and I just had the 2nd floor (master bedroom) area redone, and she specified the details with the contractor while our youngest son supervised the project. We had non-slip floor tiles installed in the bathroom. Wasn't much difference in the cost and it was well worth any extra expense, but you have to make sure that the non-slip tiles are specified when the job is bid.

We are both in our 60's and the non-slip tile was a good idea for us. I've tried it, and it works well.

My test of non-slip tiles in development projects - apply a layer of soapy water on the tile and then rub my foot on it to see if it is really non-slip. A simulation of actual condition of shampoo and water while washing my hair in the shower.

My test of non-slip tiles in development projects - apply a layer of soapy water on the tile and then rub my foot on it to see if it is really non-slip. A simulation of actual condition of shampoo and water while washing my hair in the shower.

I have a shower and toilet and out garage and I used a marine product used for ther decks on fiberglass boats for there non skid decking, It's great just roll it on and you can get most colours easy to apply and looks great

Not sure whether this is a direction you want to go, but if you intend to paint the concrete surface (you'll probably need to use a good quality oil base paint if you're using it in the bathroom), adding a couple of handfuls of sharp sand (high silica content, not normal builders sand, there is a difference... add it straight to the can and mix thoroughly), works very well and offers good grip on concrete steps and other surfaces that are slick when wet.

Genset.

Edited by genset

The floor in the Pic looks like marble tile to me. for sure its not concrete. so why would tile not work?

The floor looks like stamped concrete, not marble. Tiles will be higher than existing floor even if installed with thin adhesive glue, and prone to injuring the feet.

Best option without hacking present floor is to use non-slip tapes, the same that are used on polished marble or granite at hotel entrance and stairs. Available in 1-inch width rolls at Home Pro. You need only 3 or 4 strips with an inch gap between, and only along the perimeter of your sunken bath. Other areas need not be non-slip if the floor remains dry.

The floor in the Pic looks like marble tile to me. for sure its not concrete. so why would tile not work?

It is concrete. It's how it's finished, sort of a "polished" concrete. Used in many modern or eco homes, hotels, condos and apartments. Bars are starting to use it more too.

The floor looks like stamped concrete, not marble. Tiles will be higher than existing floor even if installed with thin adhesive glue, and prone to injuring the feet.

Best option without hacking present floor is to use non-slip tapes, the same that are used on polished marble or granite at hotel entrance and stairs. Available in 1-inch width rolls at Home Pro. You need only 3 or 4 strips with an inch gap between, and only along the perimeter of your sunken bath. Other areas need not be non-slip if the floor remains dry.

I have not seen this, I'll look into it. Thanks!

Polished concrete in a wet area, asking for trouble, my friends father went for a shower, slipped, fell and hit his head on the taps, they found him dead in the bottom of the shower......

If you want to maintain the look, there are some grey tiles that are none slip that have a polished pattern, I guess a visit to a tile centre will turn up something suitable.

If it is an existing floor, sandblasting might be the best option. You would need to re-seal after, I imagine. If it is a new pour, stamping might work better.

You could sand blast in a pattern which might let you keep the overall look, but give a non-slip surface without the tape.

If it is an existing floor, sandblasting might be the best option. You would need to re-seal after, I imagine. If it is a new pour, stamping might work better.

You could sand blast in a pattern which might let you keep the overall look, but give a non-slip surface without the tape.

I suspect the waterproof layer of this bathroom is just a surface coating or rendering over the concrete and would not recommend any non-slip treatment that may damage it.

A broom finish on the concrete works fine. When finishing the concrete, drag a stiff bristle broom over the concrete. The stiffer the bristle, the deeper the scratches. It can be sealed after it is dried.