Should I Or Shouldn't I?

ianwuk

Thanks again for all the replies. I really appreciate it. I plan to start in September 2010 which gives me plenty of time to save money. I just hope my job lasts otherwise I will end up taking/finishing it in the UK (which could be easier) then coming back here to be with my girlfriend when I have finished. Time will tell :)

Thanks.

Ian

I've spent almost 6 years to get my Bachelors degree, trying to get it done next year. The only reason would be to make it easier to get a job/work permit in countries like Japan.

Thai universities are easy compared to the West and much more fun as a young farang. You'll get a lot of attention from the girls, so better not let your girlfriend visit campus! :)

Continuing education never hurts. In a worse case scenario, you can hang your diploma at the office and piss of those that don't have them. I used to take particular delight at doing that as it kept some of the managing directors away.

Pick a subject that makes you happy , interests you and that is worth the investment in time and money. I spent years studying some subjects that I haven't applied since leaving uni. I'd have been better off learning something useful like auto mechanics or a basic electical trade since I have had more use for that in my life. And most importantly, count your blessings that you have a g/f that wants you to be the best you can be.

Hey Ian,

I'm 24 and will be getting a law degree in couple months from the U.S. It took 6 years to get here (three undergraduate, three in graduate school) ...snip..

woohoo a chance to nitpick. :)

Unless you are doing a Master of Law, the Bachelor of Law is deemed to be an undergraduate diploma. And as for a JD, although some schools will consider it a graduate diploma, as far as the hierarchy goes on the podium when the diplomas get handed out, it is signiificantly well below a DBA, which is below a DSc., which is lower than a PhD. Eggheads have their pecking orders.

Thanks for all the replies. I am just going to concentrate on savng up (even insofar as getting a second job) and I am investigating my current work permit/visa rights and such in case it all goes horribly wrong.

Thanks.

Ian

Thanks for all the replies. I am just going to concentrate on savng up (even insofar as getting a second job) and I am investigating my current work permit/visa rights and such in case it all goes horribly wrong.

Thanks.

Ian

I fully agree with the poster above who says that asking for advice is a sign of maturity, certainly don't feel bad about it. Another good saying (source unknown) is to always investigate a proposition fully before dismissing it out of hand!

Anyway, back on topic.

I'm coming up to retirement in the not too distant future, and do not have a degree. I've had a full and rewarding career in IT, luckily enough starting in the days when you could get a job as a tape operator with nothing more than 'o' levels, and move into programming etc. etc. as you gained experience. I've been lucky enough to be able to work in a number of countries, including the last 7 years in Thailand.

All without a degree, as I've already said. Would having one have made me a better programmer, designer, business analyst etc. etc. Who knows?

However, as a number of the posters have already mentioned, it has become a pre-requisite nowadays to have that bit of paper to be even considered for many jobs. I'm lucky, I have 35 years of experience to wave about. But you don't, and may find it difficult to get that sort of meaningful experience without the bit of paper.

I'm not saying you need it to make you a better person, or to help you do your work better (whatever that may be in the future), but just to give you a chance to show what the real you can do. It is a fact that there will be a lot of box-tickers in the future who will not be prepared to do that just because you don't have a degree.

I'd go for it now if you can, because it will get harder in the future, and you may live to regret it.

My one real professional regret is that I couldn't go to work in the US when I was younger, because at that time (not sure about now) you needed a degree to get the sort of visa I needed!

You never know when that could happen here. Just look at the visas threads about the latest 'clampdown'.

Alternatively, Bill Gates doesn't have a degree. I wonder what happened to him? (Steve Jobs as well?).

Thanks.

Ian

I fully agree with the poster above who says that asking for advice is a sign of maturity, certainly don't feel bad about it. Another good saying (source unknown) is to always investigate a proposition fully before dismissing it out of hand!

Anyway, back on topic.

I'm coming up to retirement in the not too distant future, and do not have a degree. I've had a full and rewarding career in IT, luckily enough starting in the days when you could get a job as a tape operator with nothing more than 'o' levels, and move into programming etc. etc. as you gained experience. I've been lucky enough to be able to work in a number of countries, including the last 7 years in Thailand.

All without a degree, as I've already said. Would having one have made me a better programmer, designer, business analyst etc. etc. Who knows?

However, as a number of the posters have already mentioned, it has become a pre-requisite nowadays to have that bit of paper to be even considered for many jobs. I'm lucky, I have 35 years of experience to wave about. But you don't, and may find it difficult to get that sort of meaningful experience without the bit of paper.

I'm not saying you need it to make you a better person, or to help you do your work better (whatever that may be in the future), but just to give you a chance to show what the real you can do. It is a fact that there will be a lot of box-tickers in the future who will not be prepared to do that just because you don't have a degree.

I'd go for it now if you can, because it will get harder in the future, and you may live to regret it.

My one real professional regret is that I couldn't go to work in the US when I was younger, because at that time (not sure about now) you needed a degree to get the sort of visa I needed!

You never know when that could happen here. Just look at the visas threads about the latest 'clampdown'.

Alternatively, Bill Gates doesn't have a degree. I wonder what happened to him? (Steve Jobs as well?).

Thanks for the reply. If I could get a well paid IT job here in Thailand (I have ten years work experience near enough) that might solve some of my issues.

Take care.

Ian