Getting Married In The Sticks...

Jim's_a_Thai_Fox

Hi folks,

I get married in 2 months and for this most auspicious occasion, my family are making the trip from the UK. It will be a simple affair, taking place in the missus' village.

However, I have one pressing issue: how to overcome the problem of there not being a 'sit down' bog for several miles of the wedding reception!

Given that there must be loads of westerners who have gotten married in the sticks in Thailand, I would love to know how this issue was resolved at your wedding.

My mum and some other women who shall be coming are aged 65+ and do not welcome the idea of a squat toilet for a #1 and certainly not a #2! I have suggested immodium to solve the latter issue, but given the amount of alcohol that shall be consumed, simply asking them to cross their legs for 5 hours isn't practical...They remain steadfast that I should do my best to find a suitable solution... hence my call for help from the TV crew.

Possible solutions: rent a 'port-a-loo' type affair... any contacts? Pay a local to have a 'proper' toilet installed in their gaff (rough cost of that installation?)... any other 'outside the box thinking'?

Cheers peeps!

James

Hi folks,

I get married in 2 months and for this most auspicious occasion, my family are making the trip from the UK. It will be a simple affair, taking place in the missus' village.

However, I have one pressing issue: how to overcome the problem of there not being a 'sit down' bog for several miles of the wedding reception!

Given that there must be loads of westerners who have gotten married in the sticks in Thailand, I would love to know how this issue was resolved at your wedding.

My mum and some other women who shall be coming are aged 65+ and do not welcome the idea of a squat toilet for a #1 and certainly not a #2! I have suggested immodium to solve the latter issue, but given the amount of alcohol that shall be consumed, simply asking them to cross their legs for 5 hours isn't practical...They remain steadfast that I should do my best to find a suitable solution... hence my call for help from the TV crew.

Possible solutions: rent a 'port-a-loo' type affair... any contacts? Pay a local to have a 'proper' toilet installed in their gaff (rough cost of that installation?)... any other 'outside the box thinking'?

Cheers peeps!

James

5,000 baht would get you a brick shit house built anywhere you want it.

We had a Western Loo installed, it really wasn't that expensive, so that is your best route.

An alternative is for them to stay in a 'localish hotel', they arrive for the ceremony, stay long enough and run very fast back to the hotel after a required time at the festivities, but that only works if there is a localish hotel.

you could get a metal frame made to go over the squat toilet. i know of someone who did this before, funny to look at but did the (job) :) see your local metal worker or they will build a farang toilet for you in 2 to 3 days inlaws will be happy to, new toilet for them. anyway all the best on the happy day.

9job)

you could get a metal frame made to go over the squat toilet. i know of someone who did this before, funny to look at but did the (job) :) see your local metal worker or they will build a farang toilet for you in 2 to 3 days inlaws will be happy to, new toilet for them. anyway all the best on the happy day.

There are fold up "bomb sight" sitters available at Future Park Rangsit, fit right over the squatters.

Mac

9job)

There are no nearby hotels, but obviously a few local resident's houses. I will ask the TGF to speak to the nearest ones and find out if they are OK to have a loo upgrade and will be OK to have an open day for the wedding!!!! Knowing the cheeky buggers, they might well set up a pay booth, charging 5bhat a pop and 5b for bog roll... priceless!

James,

Appreciate your attitude and family's approach to this sticky situation in the sticks. A wilderness camping approach might be your solution. A couple of Thais can build a bamboo hut in a few hours. Dig a hole in the ground, build a makeshift hut around it. Inside frame and cover the sitting area with a bit of plywood and make a hole for the dump. For comfort and a few hundred baht buy a regular toilet seat to go around the hole. Being temporary it doesn't require a roof and the door can be a curtain.

Have a great day and unique family experience!

Hi folks,

Cheers peeps!

James

If you are inviting elderly people over from the UK for the wedding, than you must install proper amenities them. Otherwise to put it bluntly, you should either hold the wedding someone that does have facilities or not invite them at all.

A Western style toilet can be bought for as little as 1500 baht in Thailand and as, according to what you say, there is a Thai squat bog on the premises, meaning the waste outlet is there already, than the a new toilet should be easy install.

If you are inviting elderly people over from the UK for the wedding, than you must install proper amenities them. Otherwise to put it bluntly, you should either hold the wedding someone that does have facilities or not invite them at all.

A Western style toilet can be bought for as little as 1500 baht in Thailand and as, according to what you say, there is a Thai squat bog on the premises, meaning the waste outlet is there already, than the a new toilet should be easy install.

It's mistaken to install a Western style water toilet: replacing a Thai squat toilet and using the waste outlet. The receptacle will probably be quickly overwhelmed with water waste. I agree you need a "proper" amenity: clean, private, seated and comfortable for the elderly. Do you think being rustic is improper? Not for the Brits I know. Perhaps, building a temporary frame over the squat toilet is the easiest temporary solution, but I'd add the toilet seat.

For what it's going to cost I personally would either get permission from the future in-laws to change the toilet from that of the squat to that of a western style toilet or ask for an outside brick built toilet to be built. I'm sure that they will not let the opportunity of having a western style toilet go! If the area is going to be bogged down with mud etc. Get your family to ask someone from the village who has an old pick-up-truck have it filled with sand and shale, and get some workmen to spread this all over the area which you need to keep as dry and as clean as possible. Once the locals from your future wife's village know that she is about to get married, you will be un-indated with offers of help. It will be a relatively cheap day out for your wedding day, and please! don't think that I am insulting you as I do say all of this this with my deepest respect.

For my wedding day, I had 12 monks come to my in-laws house early in the morning to bless our wedding. I then had to hire a very large expensive hotel banqueting room, two very large hearts made from pink coloured ice. Send 500 specially printed wedding invitations. Buy more than 500 gifts for our guests, pay for chefs, waitresses, and all of the food and alcohol, and to top it all had to pay for a minority of the 500 guests to stay overnight at the hotel. Then there was a very proffesional photo shoot and album, A large portrait, 4 sets of clothes for both my bride and myself. I also had to hire mini-buses. Now can you imagine how much that cost me! Am I Bill Gates or what?

Good Luck, and I wish you all the very best for the future.

Edited by Pitbullman1

For what it's going to cost I personally would either get permission from the future in-laws to change the toilet from that of the squat to that of a western style toilet or ask for an outside brick built toilet to be built. I'm sure that they will not let the opportunity of having a western style toilet go! If the area is going to be bogged down with mud etc. Get your family to ask someone from the village who has an old pick-up-truck have it filled with sand and shale, and get some workmen to spread this all over the area which you need to keep as dry and as clean as possible. Once the locals from your future wife's village know that she is about to get married, you will be un-indated with offers of help. It will be a relatively cheap day out for your wedding day, and please! don't think that I am insulting you as I do say all of this this with my deepest respect.

For my wedding day, I had 12 monks come to my in-laws house early in the morning to bless our wedding. I then had to hire a very large expensive hotel banqueting room, two very large hearts made from pink coloured ice. Send 500 specially printed wedding invitations. Buy more than 500 gifts for our guests, pay for chefs, waitresses, and all of the food and alcohol, and to top it all had to pay for a minority of the 500 guests to stay overnight at the hotel. Then there was a very proffesional photo shoot and album, A large portrait, 4 sets of clothes for both my bride and myself. I also had to hire mini-buses. Now can you imagine how much that cost me! Am I Bill Gates or what?

While a city wedding can be expensive and elaborate; a wedding in a village out in sticks can be relatively inexpensive and simple. I was surprised at how my wife's family and villagers came together so quick to set up the tables, prepare the food and set up the stage around the house and onto the village road. There was a blessing from the monks and elders during the day; the village chief was master of ceremonies at night. Many got up to sing, dance, tell stories –and tease us. The next morning you couldn't tell there had even been a wedding.

There sure will be other things to consider then just a decent place for your relatives to drop a load. What about AirCon to keep them cool from the blistering Isaan sun? Have you prepared them for the long and hair-raising experience of the drive from BKK yet as well? What about their sleeping arrangements? Having farang in-laws traveling to and staying in Isaan is no easy task.

Have you considered having the ceremony in up-country and then a reception in BKK for your farang inlaws? This is what I did and I know for certain, my relatives were thankful for it, plus they had more time to tour around BKK and CM as a result.

There sure will be other things to consider then just a decent place for your relatives to drop a load. What about AirCon to keep them cool from the blistering Isaan sun? Have you prepared them for the long and hair-raising experience of the drive from BKK yet as well? What about their sleeping arrangements? Having farang in-laws traveling to and staying in Isaan is no easy task.

Have you considered having the ceremony in up-country and then a reception in BKK for your farang inlaws? This is what I did and I know for certain, my relatives were thankful for it, plus they had more time to tour around BKK and CM as a result.

Depends on the relatives. When my parents came over last year we spent 4 days in my girlfriends village North of Chiang Rai and they loved it. They were 72 and 69 at the time. After a month travelling around Thailand their main endearing memory (and source of tales for those back home) was the 4 days they spent in the village.

Definitely an experience for anyone, and not available to most tourists.

I agree about the toilet though, I will still travel miles to avoid having a dump in a squatter - bad experience of falling in once after too many Sang Soms :)

I understand completely about this. When I go to my Partners home, I just cannot 'do it' on a Thai Toilet, there is no way.

The only time I can do it, is if I have a very bad stomach, then I could manage it anywhere. Also I am scared of slipping when i stand up on the Thai style toilet.

If you decide on a western style Toilet, then it does not have to be plumbed in, just use it the same as a Thai style toilet with buckets of water to flush the poo away..

Good luck anyway and hope it all turns out good for you.

On a similar vein to Pattaya Girl. We were going upto BKK to pay respects to the King's sister. The trip was a community thing, after a lot of laughter from the women on the bus. My wife explained their banter. One of them was telling the others about her first visit to a hotel. Her room had a bidet, the lot. Her Australian son-in law had paid. I think. She had no idea how to flush the toilet, and she was there 5 days. The room maid didn't inform her, and on day 3 her son-in-law knocked on her room door, and nearly threw up with the smell. She was too embarrassed to ask and just put up with the sink.

Lot's of "hybrid" toilets around here. Sit down, but flush from the bucket. I've even seen the squat ones with a flush system.

Your new large inherited family must love you like you are a god fallen from the sky.....

Just wondering to be nosy is there much of an age difference between you and the blushing bride of over 500 friends... is she on facebook or something?

Hi folks,

Cheers peeps!

James

First of all.

Congratulations.

All the best for the future.

Reading the comments/suggestions here, and consulting my wife.

No problem to make a farang toilet for 5-6k

I guess you will spend a bit more than that for the wedding anyway.

Again, congratulations.

Hi folks,

Cheers peeps!

James

I recently attended a ceremony in Bangkok to welcome a new ship into the fleet of a local shipowner, the ceremony was attended by several hundred wealthy Thais in the shipping and logistics industries. I imagined the toilet facilities would be rudimentary, but to my surprise, they had a bus there that had been converted to a traveling toilet, with separate mens and womens entrances. I can't speak for the womens end of the bus but the mens end had 7 urinals and two cubicles with western style sit down toilets. Perhaps you could Google this?

Edited by midasthailand

Yes I have been to the toilet in one of those Bus Portable Toilets. They are OK if you are dying to go, but smell revolting when they are busy, and the there is water running all over the floor. OK for when desperate though.

Don't forget to roll your jeans up before you go in :D

Hi Pattaya girl, I guess it must depend on where it is and who is using it, but the one last week was spotless and odour free for the full five hours that the ceremony and lunch dragged on. I imagine all the wealthy businessmen did not want to spoil their Armani suits :)

Hi guys,

cheers first of all for the well wishes - the wedding will take place just outside of lampang in mid november...

The reception area is a little isolated from the inlaw's house, albeit there is a 'stranger's' house in the adjacent plot, who of course, is not really a stranger, but not a relative. This house would be the most logical place to have the bog installed as it would be during the reception time that all the beers will be sunk...

I shall look into all the options suggested so far, please keep 'em coming!

cheers