Some Bicycle Rides Around Chiang Mai ... I ...

orang37

Sawasdee Khrup, TV Friends,

Friday, September 11 : early evening, around 6PM

1. just going by the Kawila Military barracks on the old Chiang Mai ~ Lamphun Road coming into town (going north, on the east side of the Ping) : notice a qualitative change for the worse in the air compared to where I live : it must be at least 1 degree or more C warmer, and pollution is tangible.

2. crossing the one way bridge (the wrong way !) from east side of the Ping to the west side of the Ping on the way in to the Night Bazaar : only a few fisher-folk out so far this evening, as always on the south side of the bridge. are some of the fish smart enough to stay north of the bridge, or not take the bait on the south side near the bridge ? : most farangs wouldn't be (that smart), I'd say.

3. going up Loy Kroh on the bicycle (wrong way) to the Night Bazaar : time to get off and walk : too many dazed farangs walking about here.

4. up Loy Kroh to Kotchasarn (the wrong way, walking the bike) : pollution really noticeable here. The bar-beers appear so far bedecked with only a few of the their normal complement of reptiles posing as male humans (farangs), and few of the lovely young women, and lovely older women. i'm always grateful that looking is free :) seems like more tourists are about than last month (?).

5. over to Moon Muang, and then north to the northern boundary of the moat and then (west) up the northern inner moat raod to the Somphet Jok restaurant (at the intersection with Rachapakinai) to get two orders of the best jok in Chiang Mai to go (one, pork, for a Thai friend, with all the trimmings; one for me with the delicious Vietnamese "snow" fish they say they import[with egg, but no ginger]). Always get good vibes at this restaurant (back when my human had taste buds, it was one of his favorites). It's still a place I usually take any farang visitor because I know they have a range of Thai food on offer that is not too extemely spicy, and everyone I've taken there has really enjoyed it, and the fact that it is a Thai for Thais restaurant (even though, of course, patronized by many farang).

6. cut over across the inner city on Rachapakinai west to Pratu Chiang Mai inner moat road, and then by hook and crook once outside the moat : over to Chiang Moi : down past the southern finge of the Night Bazaar; the karaoke places catering to Mr. Yippung, Mr. Taiwan, Mr. Hong Kong, and so forth, as yet not displaying their bevy's of beauties on sing-a-song offer. i'm grateful that looking is free :D

7. back across the one way bridge across the Ping again (the right way [east] this time) : now really feeling the pollution and sweating in spite of the fact i have not pushed my human's body that much in terms of speed.

8. down the old Chiang Mai ~ Lamphun road going south : just past the Kawila Military Barracks the air changes noticeably for the better (less pollution), and it feels cooler, and once I turn off the main road and head east toward where I live, the air gets even cooler and fresher :D

best, ~o:37;

you should start a twitter feed. These are such fascinating observations I do not want to wait for a posting and need updates in real time.

Take your bike up to Wat Doi Su Thep or do the Samoeng Loop, the air quality will take your breath away. :)

you should start a twitter feed. These are such fascinating observations I do not want to wait for a posting and need updates in real time.

Take your bike up to Wat Doi Su Thep or do the Samoeng Loop, the air quality will take your breath away. :)

Yep, but carry on past the temple and the palace and the Hmong village toward the summit and then come back down to Huay Thung Tao offroad... good fun.

Samoeng Loop is easier clockwise for newbies :D

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun CobraSnakeNecktie,

Is that a top-note of honey in the vinegar, or a top-note of vinegar in the honey :)

I'm not sure which is more dangerous, riding a bicycle in Thailand or riding a motorcycle. With either you are at the mercy of crazy Thai drivers. On the motorbike you can keep up, or stay ahead of traffic. But, the damage caused by a fall at a greater speed is apparent. I ride a bicycle in Canada, and even on the highway, but Canadians, by and large, pay attention to rules of the road. There ARE no rules of the road in Thailand. On a bicycle in Thailand you have to be constantly looking over your shoulder to see who is planning on running over you. Some less traveled country roads are nice though.

Stay safe my Orang friend.

I'm not sure which is more dangerous, riding a bicycle in Thailand or riding a motorcycle. With either you are at the mercy of crazy Thai drivers. On the motorbike you can keep up, or stay ahead of traffic. But, the damage caused by a fall at a greater speed is apparent. I ride a bicycle in Canada, and even on the highway, but Canadians, by and large, pay attention to rules of the road. There ARE no rules of the road in Thailand. On a bicycle in Thailand you have to be constantly looking over your shoulder to see who is planning on running over you. Some less traveled country roads are nice though.

I have no recent experience riding a bicycle in Canada, but plenty in the US. In comparison, CM is a very safe place to ride as long as you don't do anything stupid. The Thais have very predictable driving habits. I may not like some of those habits but the predictability is key.

Riding on Loi Kroh the wrong way is, imho, pretty stupid.

Ah, but that is something I do all the time on my motorbike when I only want to go a few blocks. But, I always move at walking speed in first gear. And, I stop when there is oncoming traffic. If I don't go the wrong way on Loi Kroh I have to ride about 2 km out of my way to travel 150 meters back up the street. I'm just following the Thai example of not paying attention to staying in my own lane or parking anywhere even if it blocks a road.

You are right about the predictability of Thai drivers. When you expect the unexpected then it seems to work in your favour.

Yep, but carry on past the temple and the palace and the Hmong village toward the summit and then come back down to Huay Thung Tao offroad... good fun

Might I just ask if the summit of Doi Suthep is marked in any way. I know the summit of Doi Pui is clearly marked with a large wooden cross (well hidden in the trees) but I've never been

able to find a definite"summit" for Doi Suthep. And is this "summit" very far from the start of the track down to Huay Tueng Tao?

Yep, but carry on past the temple and the palace and the Hmong village toward the summit and then come back down to Huay Thung Tao offroad... good fun

Might I just ask if the summit of Doi Suthep is marked in any way. I know the summit of Doi Pui is clearly marked with a large wooden cross (well hidden in the trees) but I've never been

able to find a definite"summit" for Doi Suthep. And is this "summit" very far from the start of the track down to Huay Tueng Tao?

after you pass Phuping Palace but before the left hand option to descend to Doi Pui there is a right turn option to the north. There is a sign for a campground. You head north on that ridge road past the campground and coffee plantation and take the hard right hand turn at the sign for the village. I think its called Ban Don or something but not sure about the name. Go thru the village heading east and pick up the jeep track like road that descends to Huay Thung Tao.

As far as definitive summits its tricky because there are lots of rolling hills. Even after you get to the ridge road there are plenty of little climbs to deal with.

I think Its about 23-25 km from HTT to Phuping. Depends on which way you ride. If you ride up from HTT it feels like a lot more km.

There are some braiding roads and trails that split and converge but generally will connect back and continue to HTT

If you don't take the hard right turn from the ridge road to the village then bearing left will take you to Mae Sa valley.

It's quite a ride so make sure your equipment is up to the test. :-)

A while back TDOG who is active in this forum and an avid cyclist sent me some excellent directions which helped a great deal the first time I tried it. Unfortunately I don't seem to have them anymore. Maybe Tdog can post them here for others who are interested.

The terrain and nature are really fun and challenging so close to CM.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

I have no recent experience riding a bicycle in Canada, but plenty in the US. In comparison, CM is a very safe place to ride as long as you don't do anything stupid. The Thais have very predictable driving habits. I may not like some of those habits but the predictability is key.

I only use my bicycle to get around CM and I agree that riding here is a piece of cake. That is one of the reasons was soooo attracted to CM. Too bad, I also have to breath the polluted air while I ride around CM.

Are you referring to the bike lane which like a number of other new bike lanes around the city go against traffic when the street is a one way? This morning, I was with members of the Sunday bicycle club posting signs to advise motorists around the new lanes.

I do agree that you still have to be very careful when riding in traffic, no matter which legal direction you are going.

Btw, I am more weary of farangs motorists than of Thais.

after you pass Phuping Palace but before the left hand option to descend to Doi Pui there is a right turn option to the north. There is a sign for a campground. You head north on that ridge road past the campground and coffee plantation and take the hard right hand turn at the sign for the village. I think its called Ban Don or something but not sure about the name. Go thru the village heading east and pick up the jeep track like road that descends to Huay Thung Tao.

As far as definitive summits its tricky because there are lots of rolling hills. Even after you get to the ridge road there are plenty of little climbs to deal with.

If you don't take the hard right turn from the ridge road to the village then bearing left will take you to Mae Sa valley.

A while back TDOG who is active in this forum and an avid cyclist sent me some excellent directions which helped a great deal the first time I tried it. Unfortunately I don't seem to have them anymore. Maybe Tdog can post them here for others who are interested.

The terrain and nature are really fun and challenging so close to CM.

Many thanks for that explanation of how to find the beginning of the downward track to the Lake ; I'll certainly be exploring the possibilities you describe. It doesn't seem to have sparked much interest though. It seems the TV cycling fraternity are happy to pedal around the unsafe, poisonous streets of the city rather than breathe the fresh air of the surrounding countyside. I often wonder if they are doing themselves more harm than good. While the busy Loi Kroh Road appears to exert a strange attraction; especially the covert thrill of going up it the wrong way!

Couple places to stop off for tea/coffee on the way down as well, plus free entry to the lake where you can down a buzz Chang and reflect. For going back up the other way, I recommend getting hold of a scrambler for the thrill. Daeng Bkes have/had some AT 250's.

There is also a decent downhill section at the main lookout point halfway up Doi Suthep - the one on the left, which eventually comes out just below Galae Restaurant and the lake there. Guys with proper downhill bikes blast down there quite regularly... natty jumps 'n all alhough not for the faint-hearted.

The first one is a better prospect though and you could even take a songthaew to the temple and ride from there if your legs aren't up to par... although haven't had to resort to that myself. Note that the second bit (temple to palace and beyond) is twice as steep as the first bit (zoo to temple) :)

Many thanks for that explanation of how to find the beginning of the downward track to the Lake ; I'll certainly be exploring the possibilities you describe. It doesn't seem to have sparked much interest though. It seems the TV cycling fraternity are happy to pedal around the unsafe, poisonous streets of the city rather than breathe the fresh air of the surrounding countyside. I often wonder if they are doing themselves more harm than good. While the busy Loi Kroh Road appears to exert a strange attraction; especially the covert thrill of going up it the wrong way!

Your welcome no problem. Not many choose to ride these routes but it's a great nature experience and good technical cycling and workout without the fear of being flattened by a toyota truck etc. The lack of city noise is also very refreshing. Just for the air quality alone it's a no brainer. Living in the city is a constant assault of particles, chemicals and carbon monoxide. Getting to exercise in clean rich oxygen undo's some of that toxification.

Riding in town is not going to be good physically at all. The abundant carbon monoxide is going to bind to the cyclists red blood cells at the hemoglobin attach sites and deprive the muscles/brain and heart of oxygen. It might feel like a workout but its self poisoning. No idea why one would want to take those risks with such a beautiful choice so nearby.

I suppose a few of the city riders have ridden up there but found it a bit demanding. Either you like to suffer up the hills or you don't. There is no shortage of elevation gain and muscle burn.

Not a bad idea is to rent a motorbike and recon the route. You will see locals riding their Honda 100's etc loaded up with stuff so no reason you can't do the same. Not a bad idea to take a Songtheau up on the first few times you cycle it. After your comfortable with the route then its easy to add the climbs for conditioning.

Hope you enjoy the scenery and experience.

I always love biking threads! A couple of comments:

The backcountry trails have been in great shape this year with the lack of hard downpours. This morning's rains may have changed that however.

For some great biking, find your way behind Doi Kham. Beautiful, quiet, and clean with great views of teak forests up the mountain.

Regarding directions from Doi Pui to the lake, I'll try to find those and post them here. That trip has some sections with concrete and ruts that can be pretty dicey in wet conditions as a few have already said.

If anyone wants to ride some harder more technical rides from Doi Pui to Bann Pong Yai on the Mae Sa valley, PM me. We are planning a trip next week.

Here's a video of the downhill run on Doi Suthep. Going to post one on single track riding soon I hope.

Sawasdee Khrup, TV Friends (on bicycles),

Lots of great sharing of informaton on this thread, thanks !

I think my strength is back to the level where I can try some of these longer rides in the countryside I used to enjoy so much; I'll have to pack a lot of water though, since I have to hydrate my tongue every five minutes or so since my human's natural salivary gland function is compromised (no, not from years of drooling while memorizing dictionaries, from radiation, thanks :)

By the way, if you carefully read my original post on this thread, you may notice that in no way did I "advocate" going the wrong way up Loy Kroh. On my little journey I did cross the bridge the wrong way, I admit, but the sidewalk on the north side of bridge is convenient because usually there's no one on it, so you can ride : if there are people on that side : I walk the bike. And I advise walking the bike, as I did, from when you exit the bridge up to the Charoenphrathet to cross over to Loy Kroh.

Yes, I did ride my bicycle a little up Loy Kroh, just to the point where the stalls began, before coming to ChangKlan; it was not crowded : but from thence it was on foot. And, yes, I have gone all the way up it the wrong way, but usually only in 5am-7am time frame, or in the 2am-3am time frame, and it's not something I intend on doing again.

I do drive a car, and while I usually avoid Loy Kroh, and use Chiang Moi to get home when needed, the few times I use it, I have, at times, been more annoyed by motorcyclists going the wrong way up it, than bicycles.

Hope to see you soon on the road to Samoeng !

He'd have to keep his rants down to 140 characters though, which might be a challenge.

Anyway, I just registered on twitter: (WinnieTheKhwai)

Beats me what to tweet about; I have no life.

Does anyone know that following the directions - the "wrong way" - on Loi Kroh is incorrect? They have done this several times since I have lived here and I am still not sure if the "wrong way" is wrong or right. :)

I know it's very confusing but many of the new bike lanes on one way streets like Loi Kroh go against traffic. I think it is a lousy idea especially in Thailand. I helped put up some traffic signs 2 days ago but I don't think they are numerous enough, or very clear to motorist, pedestrians or even me. Being a lifelong veteran of NYC (mostly Manhattan) street traffic, I can deal with this but I don't think it is safe enough for the less experienced bicyclist. I never really cared for the bike lanes in NYC. I was usually doing 18+ mph (30+ kph), so I'd stay on the outer border of the lane or avoided them because of doubled parked cars and peds waiting on the bike lane for the light to turn green.

Edited by vagabond48