My Visit To American Counselor Services

phetaroi

No, it's not what you think by the title of my post.

Yesterday I decided efficiency and cost over free. I'm getting ready to apply for a Thai driver's license (I live here now on a retirement visa). As I understand it, the residency affidavit can be gotten for free at the Immigration Office, but that requires a bit of waiting around and then an eventual visit by a policeman to check on your residency, perhaps taking a month's time. On the other hand, at the American embassy's ACS office you can get it done in less than 30 minutes. If this summary is wrong, well that's the internet for you.

So I made my appointment online (very easy), arrived at the given time, did the paperwork, paid the fee, swore I was telling the truth, and got it all done in less than 20 minutes. Quite efficient and everyone was at the very least polite, some downright friendly.

For the 5 minutes I waited I was entertained...and this is what my post is really about. At window A was an old beach boy (the only way I can think of to describe him). I would guess around 45, although he could have been younger if he had lived a really hard life. Cheap tennis shoes with no socks, short shorts, a self-ripped (and I don't mean muscles) tank top, very long blond hair waaay past his shoulders.

I couldn't possibly go into describing his story...which we could all hear quite clearly since most of the time he was approaching rant-status. Suffice it to say that it made little sense. He kept talking about the problems he had at the American consulate on Koh Phagnan. Really? They have a consulate on that island? Whatever he was trying to tell them, he had no receipt and he was getting angry that his goofy story wasn't being believed...or at least not understood. It seemed as if he was attempting to bribe the officials since he repeatedly said he was willing to "pay double". All of us sitting in the waiting room were looking at each other either laughing or with puzzled looks.

The officials were at first very polite, and even after 5 full minutes of ranting were still acceptably professional. If I had been them, I would have called security.

As I was watching the little drama I though, gee, this guy will probably post a rant on Thaivisa tomorrow telling how he was abused by the officials at the American Embassy...and how we might fall for it. We need to take these stories with a grain of salt.