So Im 19

paralyzeme89

I'm 19 too and travelled around Thailand for 8 months, never had any serious problem there in Thailand.

When it comes to nightlife, stay out of fights, bargirls or prostitutes in Thailand are okay but don't fall in love.

When you are on beach party's, clubs, or bars somewhere in a touristic area, always be carefull when someones buys or buys for you a drink,

I got drugged once, I woke up walking back to my hotel and at the same time noticing my wallet was missing.

I never been to Pattaya but have been in Bangkok for over 1 month, I like Bangkok for it's cheap prices and cheap luxury life. I suggest you to visit all the islands in Thailand and also Chiang Mai & Chiang Rai up in the north. Then take a short trip to Vientiane and Luang Prabang in Laos (Take bus from Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai to Udon Thani and from Udon Thani to Nongkhai).

Also when you are in the south somewhere close to Phan ghan, Samui, or Phuket you should take the bus to some island or city in Malaysia, just to get a taste of what's going on there.

When it comes to government buses, I would NEVER again take a government bus, the person who mentioned this above probably is a real "stick to the book" backpacker or simply a very cheap person. Government buses are not comfortable at all, they are just cheaper.

Take the VIP buses, they are not expensive (500/518/700/800) baht for Long Distance Travelling. These buses are comfortable and offer cold drink's, pillow's, and a sheet to sleep.

I was in Thailand for a long time, we both are 19 and I can tell you it's a great country, now i'm living in China for professional reasons and miss Thai food, enough to go back soon for a short trip.

I suggest you to also visit some neighbouring country's (Laos, Malaysia, or maybe fly to the Phillippines or Indonesia)

Greets

Tommy. I was traveling in Thailand whilst you were colouring in pictures in elementary school. Have lived here ever since. Government busses are the bus services that run from the bus stations. Not the services that pick you up from your guesthouse. Government buses have normal and VIP services running from all bus stations. They are better than any VIP bus service that a tourist agent will try to sell you. But of course, thats just coming from a cheap person that sticks to the book.

I can not remember the company name's, but I always used to take the VIP busses from where the normal "blue coloured" government busses depart also. Mo chit in Bangkok, or Arcade in Chiangmai.

You can buy VIP bus tickets in agency's (at a more expensive rate) and yes they will come and pick you up at your guesthouse with a minibus and afterwards bring you to a bus that's parked somewhere, Or you can simply buy them at the bus station next to the desk where they sell the government tickets. For me government busses is a no, I rather take those comfortable 1- seat VIP busses for my long distance trips.

But oh right, I was colouring pictures when those busses didn't even exist. :)

Edited by tommybkk

I'm 19 too and travelled around Thailand for 8 months, never had any serious problem there in Thailand.

When it comes to nightlife, stay out of fights, bargirls or prostitutes in Thailand are okay but don't fall in love.

When you are on beach party's, clubs, or bars somewhere in a touristic area, always be carefull when someones buys or buys for you a drink,

I got drugged once, I woke up walking back to my hotel and at the same time noticing my wallet was missing.

I never been to Pattaya but have been in Bangkok for over 1 month, I like Bangkok for it's cheap prices and cheap luxury life. I suggest you to visit all the islands in Thailand and also Chiang Mai & Chiang Rai up in the north. Then take a short trip to Vientiane and Luang Prabang in Laos (Take bus from Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai to Udon Thani and from Udon Thani to Nongkhai).

Also when you are in the south somewhere close to Phan ghan, Samui, or Phuket you should take the bus to some island or city in Malaysia, just to get a taste of what's going on there.

When it comes to government buses, I would NEVER again take a government bus, the person who mentioned this above probably is a real "stick to the book" backpacker or simply a very cheap person. Government buses are not comfortable at all, they are just cheaper.

Take the VIP buses, they are not expensive (500/518/700/800) baht for Long Distance Travelling. These buses are comfortable and offer cold drink's, pillow's, and a sheet to sleep.

I was in Thailand for a long time, we both are 19 and I can tell you it's a great country, now i'm living in China for professional reasons and miss Thai food, enough to go back soon for a short trip.

I suggest you to also visit some neighbouring country's (Laos, Malaysia, or maybe fly to the Phillippines or Indonesia)

Greets

Tommy. I was traveling in Thailand whilst you were colouring in pictures in elementary school. Have lived here ever since. Government busses are the bus services that run from the bus stations. Not the services that pick you up from your guesthouse. Government buses have normal and VIP services running from all bus stations. They are better than any VIP bus service that a tourist agent will try to sell you. But of course, thats just coming from a cheap person that sticks to the book.

I can not remember the company name's, but I always used to take the VIP busses from where the normal "blue coloured" government busses depart also. Mo chit in Bangkok, or Arcade in Chiangmai.

You can buy VIP bus tickets in agency's (at a more expensive rate) and yes they will come and pick you up at your guesthouse with a minibus, Or you can simply buy them next to the desk where they sell the government tickets. For me government busses is a no, I rather take those comfortable 1- seat VIP busses for my long distance trips.

The point i'm labouring to put across is to go the bus station and buy the ticket, rather than buy a bus ticket from a high street agent. The thousands of agents aren't doing it for love. Flights on the other hand are usually cheaper when you buy from an agent. Just advice from clocking thousands of miles on Thai busses.

Greets

You can buy VIP bus tickets in agency's (at a more expensive rate) and yes they will come and pick you up at your guesthouse with a minibus, Or you can simply buy them next to the desk where they sell the government tickets. For me government busses is a no, I rather take those comfortable 1- seat VIP busses for my long distance trips.

The point i'm labouring to put across is to go the bus station and buy the ticket, rather than buy a bus ticket from a high street agent. The thousands of agents aren't doing it for love. Flights on the other hand are usually cheaper when you buy from an agent. Just advice from clocking thousands of miles on Thai busses.

Indeed, a VIP bus ticket from Bangkok to Chiangmai will cost you 500 baht (9/10 hours drive)

An airplane ticket will cost you 1700/1800 baht (1 hour flight)

thanks everyone :)

all good stuff to keep in mind.

i'll do my best to not fuc_k this up, should be allot of fun though:)

i got fodors travel guide la few days ago and its been helping allot.

do you guys really think that i should be mroe suspicions of other travelers then i am thias?

I have had nothing but good experience with Thais. Sure there are the occasional ripoffs but I do my best to avoid them. Politely say no to any unreasonable offers. Most Thais have a great sense of humour and a good heart. Show them respect and they will do the same. The women will be after you mainly for your money but that doesn't mean you can't get around this and have a good time by showing them your other qualities. If you are backpacking you are not showing off money so you will find many more honest encounters.

Also it is easy to be lulled into a false sense of security in Thailand. Remember there are always some bad apples in the bunch and try not to do anything crazy you would not do in your home country. And always remember you are a guest here. I think you will have the time of your life. Soak it up and enjoy it. Good luck to you and safe travels.

And take the Nakhon Air VIP buses whenever you can they are great. If not Gov't VIP and Chang Tours are good. Buy them at the bus station.

Edited by losworld

A bit of advice from a regular traveller, not a resident…

Don't let all of the posts here make you worry that you are flying into some crazy dangerous dark place where you will most probably never emerg… Thailand is a great place, and (in my opinion) less dangerous that where I am from…

Never ever, ever get into a fight with a Thai, they don't fight one on one, they fight 10 on one, when you are unconscious on the ground, they will kick you until you are extra unconscious… just say you are sorry and walk away carefully…

If a girl tells you she loves you, she is lying, if she tells you she misses you, she's lying, if she tells you there is no other, she's lying… if her lips are moving, she's lying… (it is very hard for a tourist to meet a 'good' Thai girl in Thailand)…

Don't believe your own publicity... Just because you are 19 doesn't mean they see you any different to if you were 91… As above, the chances of romance with one of the 49.9999% of the female population who are not 'for sale in some way' is pretty limited...

Be careful about your drink being spiked as others said, it does happen…

Don't get stuck with other backpackers and only see the prearranged, prepackaged, shrink wrapped Thailand… there is a whole country of 65 million people, almost all of whom are NOT trying to rip you off, but when the bus load of backpackers pulls in, the ratio amongst the locals in the immediate vicinity drops significantly…

Get as drunk as you like, just make sure you have a foolproof plan of how you are getting home… put it in place before your first beer, not after your 13th…

Be careful around drugs… it isn't just the prison (or death) sentence that you have to worry about… The cops know that you will be shit scared when you get caught, and will use that to extract every last cent from you… the guy you just bought it off probably works for them… If you stay away from it, you will save yourself the potential for enourmous hassles… luckily, there is no such concern around alcohol…

Don't gamble with Thai's… don't go anywhere away from public areas, with someone you have known less than DAYS… setup potential, very high...

Don't worry about the hype around the ladyboys… most of the time you will spot them a mile off… but don't give them shit, don't tease them, don't ask them if they are a man… they have very short fuses and a mean right hook...

And remember, repeat after me… If her lips are moving, she's lying...

Most of all, have a great time...

Cheers,

Daewoo

And take the Nakhon Air VIP buses whenever you can they are great. If not Gov't VIP and Chang Tours are good. Buy them at the bus station.

WRT the confusion with the buses... there are Government Buses and Private Buses with a contract for a government route - both leave from the proper bus terminals in major cities and smaller towns... Both of these have VIP services and Normal Services... (sometimes VIP, Express, and Slow)... Don't be scared off by the VIP title, everyone in Thailand is a VIP :)... I choose the Government VIP buses (usually Blue and White) because the drivers are usually less drugged up and less insane than the private opperators...

Then there are Tourist Buses... they usually leave from other than the government bus terminals (like somewhere on Khao San Road) and drop off at hotels... the main problem with them is that since they are usually operating illegally in the first place, the step to really illegal (helping scam or rob travellers) isn't a big one...

The Bus services are great and can get you anywhere you want to go very cheaply... Trains are often more expensive and usually slower... but a first class sleeper on an overnight train is more comfortable than sleeping on a bus... but between CM and BKK, the fare is about the same as a cheap flight...

Cheers,

Daewoo

Ofcourse if you relie on the girls from the tourist-populated streets, bars, clubs or partys, they all lie, soon or later.

But not all Thai girls are lyars, and not 49.999% of the Thai girls are for sale.

It's like saying that all American citizens are black now, are they?

example: If you go to a brothel in Belgium, Holland or Germany, you shouldn't expect having sex for free.

Edited by tommybkk

[quote name='Asifk88' date='2009-09-18 16:15:45' post='3020463'

what a wonderful thread :D

im sure ill learn alot about thailand on this forum, i am planning on going there myself at some point next year, im 21, so this thread might as well have been made by me

cheers from Copenhagen!

isn't this a great thread?

im learning allot

i like your travel ideas tommybkk :)

anywho where does everyone else think i should go? i only payed like 666 dollers (coming from seattle btw) for my round trip ticket so im fine with tossing a little bit more to extend it or just pick up the flight from soul back to seattle. i kinda didn't want to stay in thailand any longer then a month because then i would have to get an extended visa.

do you guys think i should extend my ticket from my original and go other places other then thailand? China/Japan/Philippines/where ever

i don't really have to be back in Seattle till may:p?

kinda wanted to get a job on a crabber this winter though, but if i keep my expenses low im sure i could visit a few other country's after Thailand.

i would prefer to be back by this winter so like early December.

or i could just go back home when i scheduled and get a job around puget sound:p

Edited by paralyzeme89

Ofcourse if you relie on the girls from the tourist-populated streets, bars, clubs or partys, they all lie, soon or later.

But not all Thai girls are lyars, and not 49.999% of the Thai girls are for sale.

It's like saying that all American citizens are black now, are they?

example: If you go to a brothel in Belgium, Holland or Germany, you shouldn't expect having sex for free.

Sorry, I typed two different thoughts and it didn't make sense... I was trying to say 49.999% of the population (being 50% female, and all but 0.0001% not being for sale)...

I wouldn't believe a word that comes out of the mouth of a 'love for sale' girl... although, it is pretty well recognised that being flexible with the truth to avoid confrontation is also part of the Thai psyche...

Cheers,

Daewoo

Edited by Daewoo

Expect to pay 4000 Baht for your cab from the airport to your hotel, If the Cab driver insist to take you to a restaurant for dinner you should take up his offer as your still new and might get lost or mugged! Also tip the driver after your expensive meal :)

Somebody's taking the piss out of you. This is worst and most eronious advise you could possibly receive.

4000 baht is a ridiculously high price, but as I haven't taken a Taxi from the airport lately, I'll leave suggested prices to others - more like 1500 to 1800 I would think.

Also, be sure to check out the jet ski scam info - I'm serious.

(BTW, since you're 19 and from N.A., you might not know that "taking the piss out of..." means "pulling your leg" in American slang.)

---------------------------------

what you are reffering to is just "pulling your legs"... a big big joke.... irony..... got it???

If not - sorry!! No further help arround

Glegolo

Pattaya - oh yuk! OK for a couple of days experience and for hookers or Katoeys whatever takes your fancy, but geez please don't think the rest of Thailand is like that or the girls for that matter. Most girls believe it or not are not for sale but are very gentle and decent when you get to know them. The advice given by many long staying farangs should be heeded. Absolutely NO drugs, anybody busted here for any of that nonsense will be treated with no respect and the BIB WILL go out of their way to do something about that one, as most average cops do think it's a scourge on Thailand, and it is for that matter. Especially the yaa bah coming in from the Burmese which prop up the ruling junta over there with vast sales in Bangkok with it.

Girls in Pattaya are extremely sexy and really know how to push the buttons and especially in Nana, Asoke and Patpong but mate DEFINITELY use a good quality condom! Better to avoid Nana girls all together and just met a nice lass at Tesco or in a Salon, they'll love you to death but yeah going up to meet the family after a few days to Isan may be a shock. Take a good book up there too! Long term farangs know what I mean there. If by chance you do meet the love of your life here, welcome to LOS, you'll not want to leave-believe me, I'll put up with a Thai girl with all her bizarre ways over a farang lass anyday!

isn't this a great thread?

im learning allot

i like your travel ideas tommybkk :)

anywho where does everyone else think i should go? i only payed like 666 dollers (coming from seattle btw) for my round trip ticket so im fine with tossing a little bit more to extend it or just pick up the flight from soul back to seattle. i kinda didn't want to stay in thailand any longer then a month because then i would have to get an extended visa.

do you guys think i should extend my ticket from my original and go other places other then thailand? China/Japan/Philippines/where ever

i don't really have to be back in Seattle till may:p?

kinda wanted to get a job on a crabber this winter though, but if i keep my expenses low im sure i could visit a few other country's after Thailand.

i would prefer to be back by this winter so like early December.

or i could just go back home when i scheduled and get a job around puget sound:p

$666 return ticket from Seattle! Wow, thats an incredible price for a ticket (devilish if you will). My family is coming to visit me soon and is looking for cheap tickets. How/where did you come up with that, if you don't mind me asking?

You will love it over here. I travelled SE Asia for 6 months when I was 24, 4 years ago. Most tickets to BKK seem to be fairly flexible to change your return dates once you get here. I am sure you will if the money doesn't run out. Are you fairly commitment-free back home to stay longer? If so, I would personally try and be a little frugal (cheap, Kee-nee owe, stingy) and stay a lot longer. Drinking is one of the most expensive things to do over here (without mentioning drugs which are certainly no recommended). If you can not drink too much, you will be able to do a lot more activities and stay longer, see more. But this is your holiday so it depends what you are looking for. Maybe you do just want to chill out and get pissed? This is just my advice if I were you. It is easy to get into partying regularly here and it is fun. The North is much more laid back and cheaper, with less scams than BKK or the South, although the islands are a lot of fun too. If you like to ride bikes, touring the North is awesome. Check out the GT-Rider.com website (Golden Triangle Rider). I highly recommend it as the best way to see the North. Arguably some of the best riding in the world up here. If you want to chat more about the specifics, send me a PM and we can meet up at my back alley bamboo bar in Chiang Mai.

Oh ya, feel free to check out my travel pics/journal, blakemarc.smugmug.com It might give you an idea of what places look interesting to you.

Edited by blakegeee

Alrite lad,

Did the same myself two years ago.

On hindsight my advice would be no1 - go to pattaya . Visit soi 6 and all d gogo's in pattaya. Get a moped to spin around in - around 2000baht a month - wear a helmet or end up payin every cop u meet. Unlock phone and get a thai sim - 100 + 100baht. Dont stay in Bangkok too long. If you like scenery head for d islands - phiphi etc. As already stated tall hot women=ladyboy. Oh ya, and go to Pattaya

Read up on Thai culture, I'd say. Always keep your feet on the floor and do not point them at anyone. Show respect for Buddhist symbols and the royal family. I would not lose control (get drunk) just because you are in a far away land. Have your wits about you and keep your cool.

Have a great trip.

As others have said, head for Kao san road in Bangkok. Lots of back packer hotels & take it from there. Should be lots of good info on the notice boards.

Do a 1 day mini bus trip to Kanchanaburi including bamboo river raft & elephant jungle ride.

NEVER get so drunk that you do not have your wits about you. (so that's about 1/2 what you were thinking of drinking!)

Before you go send emails to yourseff with copies of all important documents: tickets, P port, insurance, etc.

Always put the phone number of the hotel in your phone (yes, get a local sim card). If you ever get seriously lost (works in any city in the world) flag a cab (inexpensive in Bangkok) call the hotel & thern put the driver on the phone so they can tell him where it is.

Befriend a Thai & get their number aswell, just in case.

Wear an ID tag with important info on it such as blood group, allergies, next of kin contact, medical insurance, etc.

"don't mind going to strip clubs though". Ooh, warning bells here!!!! Don't go upstairs in PatPong to see "sexy show" unless you want a big bill (known as check bin in LOS) with menaces. On the other hand, Pattaya Go Go bars are no problem.

Travel by train. Its cheap, slow & relaxing. No need for 1st class. sitting in an ice cold little compartment on your own all day/night. 2nd class fan will be just fine.

..... and yes, Philippines well worth a visit. Check out the Taal volcano in Tagatuy..... a lake within a lake! Donkey ride upto the crater.

Edited by Lancashirelad