Death Or Inconvenience

Boater

Death or inconvenience

By Patrick Roxas

Monday, 14 September 2009 14:05

LAST weekend, there were at least two fatal motorcycle accidents that occurred on the island, one in Bangrak and the other in Lamai.

In Bangrak a young Thai woman speeding on a rainy night apparently didn’t see another man backing his motorbike on the roadside, hitting his bike. The impact hurled the woman a few meters away and landed on the road, head first. Some onlookers who came to her rescue saw blood oozing from her head. Later it was learned that she died. The other victim was an Australian expat, who was the subject of conversations among co-expats, some of whom knew him personally...

Continued here:

http://news.samuiexpress.net/opinion/556-d...onvenience.html

Samui%20Express.gif

LAST weekend, there were at least two fatal motorcycle accidents that occurred on the island, one in Bangrak and the other in Lamai.

Maybe our western compassion doesnt understand the way the locals think about their fate. I see most locals are practicing buddists. perhaps their death isnt the angst ridden rollercoaster we make it. I see locals coping with the most amazing hardships and psychological trauma relatively well. My experiences tell me locals believe strongly in fate and that, if it's gonna happen then there is nothing they can do to change it'.

Muslims would say 'In sh allah'. I guess Buddists have a similar saying.

I try to educate my family on things I believe will help them and keep them safe. They comply but i dont know when i am not there, maybe they revert to what they know. Don't beat yourself up about it and just try to protect your family.

Well said Boater. I always wear a helmet and shudder when I see friends riding without one, but sometimes I wonder how effective these Thai helmets that cost 500 baht are, when back in Australia the cost for a helmet is up to 15000 baht. Has anyone had a big stack wearing one and lived to tell the tale?

Maybe our western compassion doesnt understand the way the locals think about their fate. I see most locals are practicing buddists. perhaps their death isnt the angst ridden rollercoaster we make it. I see locals coping with the most amazing hardships and psychological trauma relatively well. My experiences tell me locals believe strongly in fate and that, if it's gonna happen then there is nothing they can do to change it'.

I try to educate my family on things I believe will help them and keep them safe. They comply but i dont know when i am not there, maybe they revert to what they know. Don't beat yourself up about it and just try to protect your family.

ridiculous, my girlfriends family go mental if she does not wear a helmet or more importantly rides at speed, to much emphasis on helmets on this site and to little about speed kills and kills more easily without a helmet.

Most amazing hardships and psychological trauma, it all goes well until for whatever it explodes and they you have a real mess at hand. Funny observation teddy.

The other victim was an Australian expat, who was the subject of conversations among co-expats, some of whom knew him personally...

He was not an expat, he was a regular visitor. He didn't live on Samui. And, as my mother would say, "If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, don't say anything."

So that's the end of this post.

Whilst it's a good point about speed BusyBee, a helmet is a potential life saver at all speeds. I crashed doing 30 and if I had not been wearing a helmet my head would have been smashed up big style.

Also, a 500 baht lid is better than none.

Whilst it's a good point about speed BusyBee, a helmet is a potential life saver at all speeds. I crashed doing 30 and if I had not been wearing a helmet my head would have been smashed up big style.

Also, a 500 baht lid is better than none.

Speed does kill, motorcyclists without helmets, or wearing one not strapped up just increase their odds of dying or suffering serious injury, it is so very sad to see repeated news bulletins of fatal motorcycle accidents in Thailand.