Cobra Replica

rocky3

Can I purchase and then build a kit car in Thailand. I know I will have to import one but is it possible to build and register vehicle.

Whilst i dont know the legalities of importing and assembling a kits from part form to road registed i do know of someone here in Pattaya building Cobra's, from memory they are running toyota lexus V8's drivelines and BMW suspension on a purpose built spaceframe.

If you want i could find out more details, not sure if they would be willing but they would surely know of the legalities of getting a kit car registered for road use.

Alternatively, email the guys at Thailand Hot Rod Shop They build a tasty 356 porka rep that i assume they register for road use, maybe they could advise.

I just want to do a 5 liter fuel injected with automatic gear box, nothing really wild but still 250 to 350 horse power. I have always wanted to build a car and I have nothing but time on my hands so why not. I have rebuilt engines and cars and found it enjoyable so when can iI get started.

The 427 Cobra is my all time favorite body shape.. Just love them..

I have asked a few times about whats involved with getting a kit car legalized.. Each time it comes back to having it passed by 'the association of Thai automotive engineers' but how this is done, what standards it must meet, who does it have never been able to find out.. I did at one time get contact info but they never replied, returned calls, or seemed to have a way forward. I tend to think its something farangs wont find easy or cheap.

I know down on Phuket they are refusing to do car ownership changes on bodyswapped cars.. Eg a beach buggy thats using a VW donor chassis will not change name as they dont consider it a beetle anymore. How long until they refuse to tax it ??

If this idea goes anywhere I will be paying attention.. Complete kits for basic fake snakes are within a budget I would pay to end up with one. Even with some tax import issues on parts (go overland from Malaysia) and its possible.

Can I purchase and then build a kit car in Thailand. I know I will have to import one but is it possible to build and register vehicle.

Whilst i dont know the legalities of importing and assembling a kits from part form to road registed i do know of someone here in Pattaya building Cobra's, from memory they are running toyota lexus V8's drivelines and BMW suspension on a purpose built spaceframe.

If you want i could find out more details, not sure if they would be willing but they would surely know of the legalities of getting a kit car registered for road use.

Alternatively, email the guys at Thailand Hot Rod Shop They build a tasty 356 porka rep that i assume they register for road use, maybe they could advise.

Contact Classic Garage on Highway 36, Pattaya to Royong. They have the body molds and everything. They build them.

Professional and honest Service.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank-you Stingray for the info. I am going down to Pattaya to look at the Westfields Sportscars, lotus 7 replicas, early next month. so I will look for classic cars as well on Highway 36. Do you have a number for them or a better address?

I have the moulds for a Porsche 356 replica and will sell you a body no problem

PM me if intrested

Don't want to sound TOO negative, but the first time I see any kit car assembled, on the road here, WITH a proper Thai number plate and tax disc, I WILL be interested.

Just heard too many horror stories of refusals to register by Land Transport Dept. Having said that, I hear that Chiang Mai is reasonable, and Lamphun has always been good for small trailers (which must be registered here as a seperate entity from the tow vehicle, unlike UK).

Thank-you Stingray for the info. I am going down to Pattaya to look at the Westfields Sportscars, lotus 7 replicas, early next month. so I will look for classic cars as well on Highway 36. Do you have a number for them or a better address?

His name is Matti, Tel 087 821 97 52

Easy to find, it's on Highway 36 from Banglamung to Rayong, about 2 km afther the International School of Regens on the way to Rayong, leoft hand side, just after Caltex gasstation. I use the guy for years, to build classic cars. Excellent job for fair prices. I tried some others above (no want to mention any names, but named from some other posters), got not satisfied at all. But classic Garage des the job in time. I can recoment only this guy for complet restaurations and kit cars.

Thank-you again Stinrgray. When you say kit cars do you mean assembly or sales of kits. I would prefer to buy the kit and do the assembly myself as I have alot of time on my hands. I will not enter into this unless I can be assured of getting it registered. Thairung does alot of body mods to Isuzu and Toyota vehicles and gets them registered, so it must be possible. Look at all of the vehicles with Toyota or Isuzu motors in them on the road, or look at the vehicles with the Iron Buffalo motor installed and on the road.

Thank-you again Stinrgray. When you say kit cars do you mean assembly or sales of kits. I would prefer to buy the kit and do the assembly myself as I have alot of time on my hands. I will not enter into this unless I can be assured of getting it registered. Thairung does alot of body mods to Isuzu and Toyota vehicles and gets them registered, so it must be possible. Look at all of the vehicles with Toyota or Isuzu motors in them on the road, or look at the vehicles with the Iron Buffalo motor installed and on the road.

It shouldnt be to hard to register. No crashtest-requirements, easy on brakes, easy on lights and windshield. Hard on emission, so make sure use an engine from a massmarketcar already approved.

Cobra is one of my dreamcars, so keep us up to date :)

The Westfield lotus 7 (SE) uses a Nissan SR20DE or SR20DET from s13, s14. I do plan on keeping it legal and was advised that I should keep all receipts for everything that goes on the vehicle to prove that VAT was paid and any duties paid. Also that it would take about 200,000 Baht to register, seems stiff and might involve somebody's pocket getting stuffed (something I would rather not do).

The Westfield lotus 7 (SE) uses a Nissan SR20DE or SR20DET from s13, s14. I do plan on keeping it legal and was advised that I should keep all receipts for everything that goes on the vehicle to prove that VAT was paid and any duties paid. Also that it would take about 200,000 Baht to register, seems stiff and might involve somebody's pocket getting stuffed (something I would rather not do).

Emissiontest is 30k and excice tax is 35% of vehicles value if less than 2000cc and 220 hp. Not sure how 7% vat is calculated since you probably already have vat on all purchase invoices.

Good luck anyway

So far as i know Matti sells the kit as well, without assembling. He has any kind of molds for cobra and Hot Roads. You need a already registered chassis, like i done a Suzuki Jeep before. I cut the roof off put a soft top on, built the jeep compleatly different on the rearside, like a real jeep, and shortened the jeep about 30 cm, fitted a Vitara engine and gearbox inside. Paid about 12'k, had to wight the jeep new, because it was lighter than before. It wasn't a big story, done all in Pattaya. Got it registered as a open Jeep now. But don't know how it works in other provinces. So far as i know Matti build's the cobra on a Ford chassis (have book and reg plates). To make sure you'll have to talk with Matti self.

I guess I will just rebuild a classic VW Beetle. As stated above you need a a donor care to build this on and the Westfield has its own chassis. So it looks like a lost cause to me. Still it would have been fun if I were just going to race it at the Bira track.