Putting Things In Perspective

losworld

There is no doubt the program Big Trouble in Thailand has created quite a stir. I acknowledge that there are certainly scams regarding jet skis among other things. However, there are scams all over the world every day. I personally never rented a jet ski nor do I have any desire as I have always thought they are a waste of gas, environmentally unfriendly, take away from the beach experience for others and offer little value for the money. However I have rented many motorbikes in Thailand. AND NOT ONCE HAVE I HAD ANY PROBLEM WITH FALSE DAMAGE CLAIMS OF ANY TYPE. In Thailand you can rent a bike with very little deposit and keep it for a month. To put things in perspective these same types of bikes will rent for 10x this amount in resorts in Mexico.

It seems to me some here expect all the protection, laws and amenities they know exist in the West but at the same time still want things at Thai prices. Unfortunately, I don't think you can have it both ways. If someone knows where you can please inform us.

Edited by losworld

However, there are scams all over the world every day.

The Real Hustle is a UK TV programme, it shows scams during every day locations.

OK, they are all set up I presume, but nevertheless scams everywhere, it just makes good TV.

My first trip to Thailand and I got scammed re: being taken to a Thai Craft Fair, you guessed it, ended up at a Gems Factory, I got my own back by making the Tuk Tuk driver take me back to my hotel in rush hour traffic, he wasn't happy, he kept wanting for me to get a motocy ride I didn't budge, he got more and more angry.

Ended up making my day.

I was chilled, he was steaming :)

The Real Hustle is a UK TV programme, it shows scams during every day locations.

OK, they are all set up I presume, but nevertheless scams everywhere, it just makes good TV.

My first trip to Thailand and I got scammed re: being taken to a Thai Craft Fair, you guessed it, ended up at a Gems Factory, I got my own back by making the Tuk Tuk driver take me back to my hotel in rush hour traffic, he wasn't happy, he kept wanting for me to get a motocy ride I didn't budge, he got more and more angry.

Ended up making my day.

I was chilled, he was steaming :D

Perspective? I was seriously thinking about complaining about a scam the other day.........then I went to the open market and saw some severed pig heads on a table and a voice inside my head said, "and you think you are having a bad day......things could be a lot worse." :)

Ended up making my day.

I was chilled, he was steaming :D

Perspective? I was seriously thinking about complaining about a scam the other day.........then I went to the open market and saw some severed pig heads on a table and a voice inside my head said, "and you think you are having a bad day......things could be a lot worse." :)

lol... let me give you an example of a scam here in the U.S. city of Los Angeles... for reasons unexplained but you will quickly figure out they do street cleaning twice per week even though the city is pretty much bankrupt and cost cutting measures are in order... the ticket has recently went form $40 to $60 for being parked during a "cleaning" day... my neighbour just received one... they'll never cut back on street cleaning because it is a cash cow for the city... in fact I'm sure they could reduce the city budget by cleaning three times per week instead of two... not to mention the $400 U.S. red light tickets, with intentionally shortened amber times, taken by photo boxes run by Lockhead all over the city

Edited by losworld

It seems to me some here expect all the protection, laws and amenities they know exist in the West but at the same time still want things at Thai prices. Unfortunately, I don't think you can have it both ways. If someone knows where you can please inform us.

I agree with your general perspective...and I too have rented many a moto a various resort areas of Thailand without incident (though have heard of reports of various scams) and friends have rented jet-skis in Pattaya without incident. Unfortunately, there is a problem with some operators and some controls should be enacted to protect both the renters/tourists and owners. Basically, what it looks like to me is that the owners are trying to charge for "wear and tear" on their jet-skis that should be just a cost of doing business. The small scrapes and scratches on the sides/hulls are just what happens during normal use (hitting or skimming over stuff in the water). The operators have to accept these and not try to extort money from tourists for such things. Now, if there is major damage to a unit then compensation would be in order.

I agree with your general perspective...and I too have rented many a moto a various resort areas of Thailand without incident (though have heard of reports of various scams) and friends have rented jet-skis in Pattaya without incident. Unfortunately, there is a problem with some operators and some controls should be enacted to protect both the renters/tourists and owners. Basically, what it looks like to me is that the owners are trying to charge for "wear and tear" on their jet-skis that should be just a cost of doing business. The small scrapes and scratches on the sides/hulls are just what happens during normal use (hitting or skimming over stuff in the water). The operators have to accept these and not try to extort money from tourists for such things. Now, if there is major damage to a unit then compensation would be in order.

Although it may be somewhat a hassle for some why not take a few pics of the boat before the rental as everyone seems to carry a phone with a camera. Place the phone in a plastic bag and store it in pocket or on the boat. Has anyone done this? I know many people do this with car rentals.

How about not renting jet skis, period. As per the OP it is iresponsible to rent one in Patong or karon with all of the swimmers about. Just because they are renting the noise boxes doesn't make it right.

Call me vindictive, but I consider the ripoffs inflicted on jetski renters divine retribution.