webfact

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

About 5,000 red-shirt protesters join rally so far

Pol Maj Gen Pichai Sangkhaphai, commander of the Metropolitan Police Division 1, said about 5,000 red-shirt protesters joined the rally at the Royal Plaza so far.

Pichai was speaking to reporters at 1:30 pm.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/09/19

While I disagree with almost everything that mc2 says for and I find his claim to not be pro-Thaksin to be disingenuous, I don't think that he should be banned. I think that, as long as posters refrain from personal attacks and don't stray into LM territory, they should be allowed to post freely.

> Would it be accurate to therefore define the Reds as Democratic, and the Yellows as Undemocratic?

that's certainally one way of defining it.

yellows are anti-democratic, afraid of elections, prefer coups, and are driven by hate.

reds are democratic, pro-election, despise coups and are driven by love.

They are gullible peopel who are driven by the idea that Thaksin will improve their life by cheap loanes, not realizing that this will put them in even bigger debts and ruin the financial situation of this country completely.

They are so naive to beliefe that when some new road is build in their village its come out of Thaksins pocket. This gullible peopel are completely dominated and brainwashed by the Phua of their village who receive his money from Thaksin.

5,000 protestors!!??!!

That's nothing.

Does that mean the destructive divisive Thaksinista movement ends with a FIZZLE rather than a bang?

Lets hope so.

I reckon now that the Abhisit government has wisely put the kabosh on potential chaos and violence, there really isn't any reason to show up at all, now is there?

Edited by Jingthing

So bottom line:

> The "Reds" want elections, the "Yellows" dont.

> Would it be accurate to therefore define the Reds as Democratic, and the Yellows as Undemocratic?

> That being the case, why dont they define these political movements as such, and get away from non-politically-descriptive terminology dealing with colors. It would clarify things for most casual observers, and place things into a clearer political context.

Perhaps rather than looking for simple, or simplistic answers, you need to do a lot more research. I don't think there's much commitment on any side of politics in Thailand to western-style democracy. The election process here is not like it is in, say Britain or the US, even allowing for the role money plays in those places. And the idea that the elected government is elected to serve the whole community doesn't carry any weight at all. Find out about money politics, how it works and who benefits. Find out also about patronage and what that means for people who are dependent on it. Read a little Thai history. Read Pasuk & Bakers Thaksin: The Business of Politics in Thailand. There's a lot to learn. And listen to everyone, but believe only half of what they tell you.

Indeed the Thai political system is not like the UK or the US because bth countries don't have coalition governments like in Continental Europe, That's why most of Americans and Britons don't seems to understand that the present government is legal because they have a majority of seats in the parliament.

That's why most of Americans and Britons don't seems to understand that the present government is legal because they have a majority of seats in the parliament.

Have you done a scientific survey about Americans and Britons here? I doubt it. It is not that difficult a concept to learn about. Yes, Abhisit is the legal prime minister.

5,000 protestors!!??!!

That's nothing.

Does that mean the destructive divisive Thaksinista movement ends with a FIZZLE rather than a bang?

Lets hope so.

I reckon now that the Abhisit government has wisely put the kabosh on potential chaos and violence, there really isn't any reason to show up at all, now is there?

Lets wait until the evening the numbers will go up. They should expect 100K on the anniversary of the coup and when they are all united on the event but most estimate less than this, but we will see. As Khwanchai said it is very expesive to organize a rally. There is a report elsewhere that Thaiksin is keeping the funds back to use on the ASEAN meeting. However, th ereds needs momentum so they cant afford this to be too smaller an event.

It could still also kick off or there could be other happenings.

Thaksin wants a violent revolution. We know that. Peaceful rallies are not in his game plan. He is NOT going to win this with peaceful rallies. If his dirty tricks and violent games are effectively blocked, bottom line, HE LOSES.

Edited by Jingthing

I think that most people who think the gov't isn't legal are those that feel that the coup was illegal and the subsequent court verdicts concerning Thaksin were questionable.

Under the current situation and the current constitution, this gov't is legal as near as I can tell.

I was just wondering why so much is in this Thai Visa about the reds and the ISOC and not one thing about the PAD who has already have injured people fighting with the local residents and this government has not applied ISOC on them. And the PAD stated they will fight the locals and the police and the Army if they don't give way so that they can do their protest at the border. Certainly looks like shades of their other peaceful protests from last year ?????? It is apparent there is diffidently double standards and all intelligent people know whose side the Dems and military are on.

Edited by cougar52

That's why most of Americans and Britons don't seems to understand that the present government is legal because they have a majority of seats in the parliament.

Have you done a scientific survey about Americans and Britons here? I doubt it. It is not that difficult a concept to learn about. Yes, Abhisit is the legal prime minister.

I did only refer to the many comments made that this government was not legal. and maybe I'm wrong in my assumption that most of this reactions came from Anglo-Saksen members;

I was just wondering why so much is in this Thai Visa about the reds and the ISOC and not one thing about the PAD who has already have injured people fighting with the local residents..

There is a running thread on that issue regarding PAD.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Rally-Preah-...le-t298189.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Pad-Rally-De...ed-t298847.html

Edited by frodo

Thaksin wants a violent revolution. We know that. Peaceful rallies are not in his game plan. He is NOT going to win this with peaceful rallies. If his dirty tricks and violent games are effectively blocked, bottom line, HE LOSES.

This is a fair assessment of the difficulty Thaksin faces in returning home let alone home to power imho. He needs a real game changer. A revoultion, coup in his favour or a government able to change the constitution are the ways. A coup in his favour is very unlikely. A revolution doesnt seem on the cards with even Jakrpob assessing that as a long way off. He has already has his governments in and they failed to do anything to bring him back so why would a future one fair better? He probably doesnt even want an election and all the cost associated with it to be honest.

That all leaves a miracle.

The old idea that "we are all Thais" and that "the things that unite us are stronger than those that divide us" is under severe stress.

Based on informal conversation with Bangkok taxi drivers while mired in traffic on two separate occasions over the past 12 months, I would say that the idea of this current descent into greater public disorder being stopped by some vague notion of national unity went out the window ages ago.

RED SHIRTS RALLY

Hooligans ordered to incite unrest : Suthep

Several groups of "hooligans" have received orders to create unrest during the red shirted protest on Saturday in Bangkok, Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban said Saturday.

Citing intelligence reports, Suthep said that the groups are from Bangkok, Nonthaburi and Nakhon Pathom provinces.

They were ordered to create violence during Saturday's anti-government United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) movement in the capital.

The protest marked the third anniversary of the coup that ousted then PM Thaksin Shinawatra.

Suthep said that however the groups were under close watch.

Declining to identify the groups, Suthep called them "hooligans" and said that are notorious, but that the police are well prepared to deal with them.

He was speaking after meeting with acting national police chief Pol Gen Thani Somboonsap at Government House where tight security has been imposed by both police and army personnel.

Those guarding the area were equipped with only shields and batons, while barbed wire was installed around Government House to prevent UDD protesters from getting close to the building housing the prime minister's office.

Gen Thani told journalists briefly after a one-hour talk Suthep that the deputy prime minister ordered him to closely monitor the third-party groups which might incite violence during the rally.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/09/19

So bottom line:

> The "Reds" want elections, the "Yellows" dont.

> That being the case, why dont they define these political movements as such, and get away from non-politically-descriptive terminology dealing with colors. It would clarify things for most casual observers, and place things into a clearer political context.

you're a moron. the reds continue to buy elections. yellos supports democracy but no vote buying like thaksin, and samak did. they and their cronies bought the elections and the red teams support comes from the selling of yaba, skid, ice, and methamphetamies. GO PAD!!!!!

The red team and the isaan people are pro-Lao, pro cambodia ,pro-drugs, pro-terrorism and totally disrespectful of the royal family. Thaksin has also supported Muslim terrorists in the south and the day after 9/11 Thaksin while still prime minister said; "9/11 was faked" and totally banned the media from covering the 9/11 attacks. Only the nation covered the 9/11 attacks as Thaksin shut down all locally owned newspapers and tv stations from covering anything from 9/11.

Who's the dictator? who came to power on fraudulent elections. Who based his support on people who still believe in exorcisms and ghosts. Who bribed the poor to vote for him. Who admitted wanting to make THailand a republic and not a constitutional Monarchy? Thaksin and the red shirts did.

REd shirts are anti-democratic, drug peddling, vote-rigging terrorists.

Abhsit has done more for the poor in education, health and medical services than Thaksin ever did.

I think that most people who think the gov't isn't legal are those that feel that the coup was illegal and the subsequent court verdicts concerning Thaksin were questionable.

The coup being illegal isn't a matter of feeling it's a matter of fact. It was illegal. What is a matter of feeling is who brought about the coup.

As for questionable court verdicts, i seem to recall there being some of those whilst Thaksin was in power. Where were the red-shirts then?

RED SHIRTS RALLY

Several groups of "hooligans" have received orders to create unrest during the red shirted protest on Saturday in Bangkok, Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban said Saturday.

Citing intelligence reports, Suthep said that the groups are from Bangkok, Nonthaburi and Nakhon Pathom provinces.

They were ordered to create violence during Saturday's anti-government United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) movement in the capital.

The protest marked the third anniversary of the coup that ousted then PM Thaksin Shinawatra.

Declining to identify the groups, Suthep called them "hooligans" and said that are notorious, but that the police are well prepared to deal with them.

He was speaking after meeting with acting national police chief Pol Gen Thani Somboonsap at Government House where tight security has been imposed by both police and army personnel.

Those guarding the area were equipped with only shields and batons, while barbed wire was installed around Government House to prevent UDD protesters from getting close to the building housing the prime minister's office.

Gen Thani told journalists briefly after a one-hour talk Suthep that the deputy prime minister ordered him to closely monitor the third-party groups which might incite violence during the rally.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/09/19

If one of the groups is from Nakhom Pathom and are infamous that isnt exactly a third party group :)

reds are democratic, pro-election, despise coups and are driven by love.

And reds frequently show that 'love' by killing innocent bystanders, hijacking gas trucks and threatening to blow up innocent housing blocks, setting fire to and destroying massive amounts of public property, attempting to overtake and murder international dignitaries and visitors, attempting to assassinate political leaders who go against their own criminal leader's cynical strategies. Some kind of love that is!!!!!

I'm confused by the heading of this article.

Who are these Red Shirts?

Certainly an odd way of describing political movements.

I understand some of them support the previous prime Minister, but what is their political context?

A local told me that one side of this political problem wants to abolish elections and simply appoint legislators, while the other side wants to have elections.

The side that doesn't want elections....why? Is it because they cannot win them or are they merely anti-democratic?

Where do these "Red Shirts" fit in, other than the association by some of them with the previous Prime Minister? Are they the ones wanting elections or do they want to appoint legislators without elections?

Under instructions from the child bride again ? :D " Who are these Red Shirts " You certainly had a good idea who was who quite recently. Early onset of Altzheimers ? :)

'child bride' ? <deleted>

no need to make those types of accusations.

Thaksin wants a violent revolution. We know that.

how do you know this ? any proof ?

didn't think so.

Pattaya Asean conference and Black Songkran are the only "proof" reasonably rational people or governments need. I think we know any amount of proof will be inadequate for the TRUE BELIEVERS among us. BTW, mc2, friendly suggestion, if you wish to stick around here to push your red agenda, I would lay off the crude personal attacks. I do realize that when a cause you passionately espouse is going down the drain in defeat, it can be personally frustrating, but still no excuse.

Edited by Jingthing

RED SHIRTS RALLY

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/09/19

thats a really funny article .

wasnt Suthep the one who organised the blue shirts in pattaya to fight against the red shirts ?

sounds like propaganda bs from Suthep .... "intelligence reports" .... "decining to identify the groups" .....