Help! New To Bkk

JohnnyLondon

I just joined this forum and i'd appreciate some help.. I live and work in London UK but recently completed a TEFL course here with a view to living and working in Thailand... my only experience so far has been a month in Phuket in May, but I am coming to BKK in November for one month (never been there before) hear bad stories about the airport and taxi touts etc.. so where do I get a REAL taxi at the airport? Also I was told if I want to stay there it might be better to enrol at a school learning thai language coz I will get a visa for one year (maybe at Walen language school).. do I need to apply for a work permit BEFORE i leave the UK if I also want to teach while I am learning thai language?

All you guys seem pretty clued up... I haven't gotta clue so ANY advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.... Johnny :)

I just joined this forum and i'd appreciate some help.. I live and work in London UK but recently completed a TEFL course here with a view to living and working in Thailand... my only experience so far has been a month in Phuket in May, but I am coming to BKK in November for one month (never been there before) hear bad stories about the airport and taxi touts etc.. so where do I get a REAL taxi at the airport? Also I was told if I want to stay there it might be better to enrol at a school learning thai language coz I will get a visa for one year (maybe at Walen language school).. do I need to apply for a work permit BEFORE i leave the UK if I also want to teach while I am learning thai language?

All you guys seem pretty clued up... I haven't gotta clue so ANY advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.... Johnny :)

You would be better advised to try Taiwan or China. Fewer opportunities here imho.

if you dont know how to get a real taxi at the airport you maybe better off not coming here. a whole lotta bigger things you need to be concerned with!

Lighten up Francis! Do you know where to catch a real cab from JFK, DCA, ORD and/or all the major airports in the world. I bet you don't. The OP is asking a valid question as there has been a lot of news in the media concerning touts, etc, at Swampy.

To the OP, I believe, and others correct me if I am wrong, you go to door #10 and get in line for a taxi meter.

so where do I get a REAL taxi at the airport?

Assuming you're arriving in international arrivals (which you will be unless you're flying into Bangkok from elsewhere in Thailand) you're already on the correct floor for taxis - come out of the gate, turn right and keep walking past all the people shouting at you. Reply with 'mai ow krap' to anything they say. Meter taxis are signposted, nearly the last exit on the left, if you walk into glass then you haven't seen the sign and you've gone too far. If you follow the sign you'll come to a queue of people leading up to a couple of Thai nationals in uniform sat at a table, tell them where you want to go and get a stub and continue past them to awaiting taxis, you pay a 50b surcharge for the privilege of not getting ripped off by touts.

Also I was told if I want to stay there it might be better to enrol at a school learning thai language coz I will get a visa for one year (maybe at Walen language school)..

Unless you want to actually attend school to learn Thai, you'd be better off applying to Hull for a Non Immigrant O Multiple Entry visa. On the form state 'visiting friends' for you reason of visit. You'll get one within a week. This lasts you for 15 months if you make your final entry on the last day of the Non Imm O visa validity. I say 'final' entry because this visa allows you to stay in the country for 3 months at a time, you'll be doing 'visa runs' overy three months (a company called Jack's Golf run a daily bus to the Cambodian border and back for about £35 including all border charges)

do I need to apply for a work permit BEFORE i leave the UK if I also want to teach while I am learning thai language?

Less certain on this as I'm not an english teacher, but as far as I am aware you won't legally be able to teach on either an Education Visa or a Non Immigrant O. Once you have found an employer they should help to organise your business visa and work permit for you (or not, as the case may be) When you have a job offer you then take company docs to obtain a 3 month Non Immigrant B in a neighbouring country, then once you are in country on the first Non Imm B you obtain a Work Permit, which you use to qualify for future Non Immigrant B visa. The 'reliable' embassies and consulates change regularly.

In short, you probably can't get a non immigrant B visa in the UK, you'd deal with than when you find work. Unless you actually want to learn Thai in school and can commit to the hours then Non Imm O from Hull is your best solution at this stage.

Edited by danw