The Love Of Siam [film Review]22 Love Deails & Ending Analysis

LittleCamel

1. What happened during the night that Tong spent over night at Mew’s place?

The first thing is the position of the bedside lamp, remember when Tang was missing, Tong stayed at Mew’s place, at that time, the lamp was put on Mew’s side, it means Mew is the leading light of the days that Tong suffered, lead Tong to less blues and cheered Tong up.

When they grew up, the lamp was put on Tong’s side, this means that Tong is now a reliable light for Mew, and he helps Mew to reduce loneliness.

The second thing is the two puppets which put on the head of Mew’s bed, one is black while the other one is white. This is just like the scene that they sat at the side of the river when Tong tells Mew that he’s moving.

Mew’s mind was fully understood by Tong. Therefore the next morning Tong put the memo pad on the white puppet’s head, when Mew woke up and found that Tong was gone , the first thing he did was to see the puppets.

On the memo pad, it’s written that, “watching u sleep like a baby, dun want to disturb your sweet dream.” This means that Tong never slept at that night, it’s because Mew was sleeping in his arms the entire night, Tong was not dare to move in case of waking Mew up, so he watched Mew slept but he stay awake. Therefore he went to bed as soon as he reached home while Mew was full of spirit and energy and went to the recording room.

2. How to translate the last word that Tong said to Mew?

Here are the original Thai words and direct translations.

เรา คง คบ กับ มิว ป็น แฟน ไม่ได้

I may go out with mew be lover cannot

แต่ ก็ ไม่ได้ แปลว่า เรา ไม่ได้รัก มิว นะ

But this doesn’t mean I dun love Mew anymore

Here’s the closest translation

I might not be with Mew as your lover, but this doesn’t mean that I don’t love Mew any more.

3. The two times that Mew cried

In the movie, Mew cried twice, the first time is in the beginning of the movie when Tong is moving out, Mew is not brave enough to face farewell, but later shows up and cries in front of his house and watched the car leaving.

He cried because he realized his love for Tong and he felt the pain of separating with Tong.

Therefore, he straight away went to play the piano and try to deliver his feeling to Tong by using music as his grandpa did to his grandma last time.

The second time is at the end of the film, he cried after he put on the nose on the puppet and he can’t stop himself from falling tears off. This time, he could smile at tong and told him to take care. This has shown that mew has become a grown-up that he no longer afraid of being apart. The corresponding between the head and tail show us the power of love.

4. The two scenes of hugging pillow

The first hug appeared after Tang’s missing. Sunee sits on Tang’s bed, hugging her pillow and cries bitterly which shows her love for Tang and misses her deeply.

The second hug appeared after Tong left Mew a memo pad, mew hugged the other pillow which Tong used. This scene also shows that Mew miss Tong.

The first scene is a foreshadowing of the second scene.

5. Mew’s deliberately questioning on tong

Has grandpa passed away? The answer is yes. At the beginning when grandma was teaching Mew how to play piano, there’s a scene that shows the photos on the wall. One of them is the portrait of grandpa. Both grandma and Mew knew that grandpa is not going to come back, but still, grandma said that she would wait for him.

After grandma also passed away, Mew still stayed at the house, it’s because he want to wait for Tong like the way his grandma wait for grandpa. Besides, he also helps Tong to wait for Tang.

When they reunited at Mew’s room, Tong ask Mew that “have u ever seen her come back”.

In the question, Tong only used her. Mew then stopped playing the keyboard and asked “who?” Tong knew that he doesn’t need to say his sister’s name because he knows it’s not necessary. Does Mew really not know who is he referring to? Sure he did, he asked Tong because he wanted to ensure that his mind and feeling was understood by Tong that he helped Tong wait for his sister for 5 years. So when Tong give the answer, Mew relaxed and smiled as his mind was understood. (There’s one thing need to pay attention, Mew also didn’t answer Tong and Tong didn’t answer Mew too, they had a kind of connection so that they can understand each other without talking.)

6. The conversation between Mew and Tong about Tang

At Mew’s place, Mew asked” Tong, if you have a chance to see her again, what you will say to her?”

Tong’s answer is “I may ask why”

And Mew “it’s not Tang’s fault”.

From the word, it seems Mew talking about Tang, but actually Mew is saying it to Tong that he understood Tong never come back to visit him and he never blame Tong. Just like grandma could understand grandpa’s leaving, Mew also could understand grandma’s leaving too. At the first part, small Mew was sitting at the door and angry with his father for not taking him along to new house. So Mew’s word “it’s not her fault” shows that Mew is a grown-up, he becomes tolerant and he can understand why the people he love leave him, therefore, when the part Tong says that he cannot be his boyfriend, he can turn his head back to Tong and smile at Tong to show that he understand Tong.

The dialogue “It’s not Tang’s fault” is tolerant as it also shows the other characters’ words!

For example,

The first one. When Tong’s parents blame themselves very much for Tang’s missing, they would think that it’s not Tang’s fault (Although Tang’s missing is caused by herself).

The second one. Mew turned Ying down for cannot be her boyfriend, Ying is also tolerant and thinks that it’s not Mew’s fault and she puts her heart and soul into sincerely helping Mew and Tong be together without asking anything in return.

The third one. When June left home to Bangkok to earn money, June’s parents also thought that it’s not June’s fault. Therefore, June can take it calmly and return to her hometown instead of going overseas.

The fourth one. After Mew left the band, the other members of the band also thought that it’s not Mew’s fault. Instead, they criticised themselves for not realising Mew’s difficulty earlier.

This simple sentence has shown that the great love and the understanding during Mew and Tong’s adolescence.

A lot of scenes are touching due to this hidden line~

7. The two phone calls that Tong made.

Tong called twice in the same place at school, the first time was made to Donut to invite her out to have dinner, but Donut never answered.

The second time was made to Mew right after Tong’s mother talked to Mew. Mew also never answered the phone.

The differences between these two phone calls are they were not made to the same person and the reasons that they never answer also different. Donut didn’t answer is because she was still angry with Tong while Mew didn’t answer is because he may ruins Tong’s future as Tong’s mother says so.

Donut’s love to Tong is shallow while Mew’s love to Tong is selfless and deeply.

8. Mew thinks that he is not a stranger to Tong’s family.

When Tong’s father broke the fame of the photo (because Tang is missing in the photo), Tong didn’t help his mother to clean up the glasses and walked away. It’s because at that time, Tong hadn’t realised his mother’s love for him. Therefore he didn’t help his mother with the housework.

At another scene, Tong walks to the Christmas tree to help his mother to decorate the tree.

He asked his mother, “mum, are u tired?”

This shows that Tong is a grown-up that he wants to show his love back to his mother by helping his mother with housework.

Go back to Mew, Mew has a deep relationship with Tong’s parents that he even thinks Tong’s home is also his home. When Tong suggested letting June to act his sister (I always guest whether it’s Mew’s idea or not), Mew also join June’s meeting with Tong’s mother, we can know that Mew didn’t think that himself as a stranger to Tong’s family.

On the other hand, he helps Tong to reduce his burdens to take care of his family. Most importantly, when the first time Tong and his mother take June to visit Tong’s father, where did Mew go? Remember there’s a scene that shows there are a lot of empty bottles of wine? I guest u know the answer.

Mew is sitting on the stairs and putting the empty in order! Later when he hears Tong’s father shouts out Tang’s name, Mew then rush to them.

At night, they sit around the table and have dinner. Although Mew didn’t talk much, he still very enjoy himself with the happiness of the family. The love of a family is a treasure to Mew because he has been living by himself for 5 years!

After the dinner, Mew on his way back to home and found out that his shoes were all turned over that the soles of his shoes face the sky (Ying did it according to the love book) . He is so lazy that he asks the cleaner on the street to help him turn them back. This is totally different from what he did in Tong’s house that he helps to clean up the bottles. We can see that how much care he shows to Tong’s family and how important is Tong’s family to him. He totally thinks himself as a member of Tong’s family and Tong’s family is more important than himself. His love is far beyond normal love, friendship and Family’s love.

There’s one more scene support this is that Mew asks Tong whether things are getting better in his home at the café.

9. Mew walked home alone (only can be seen in the 186mins version)

After Mew had dinner in Tong’s house, Mew and June take taxi and go back home. There’s a scene that he walk home alone. I think the director wants to show the comparison with the part they having dinner. When Mew having dinner, he enjoys himself and smile sincerely, but when he become alone again on the way home, he looks very sad and lost. The light on the street is also very dim compares to the bright dinner table. The love that Tong has from his family is a thing that Mew can never have and feel before. Same as what I mention earlier, Mew has a deep relationship with Tong’s parents that he even thinks Tong’s home is also his home. What I understand about this scene is to show this meaning~

10. About Tong’s conversion

Actually Tong always very confused, he grew up and ascertain himself at the same time.

Compares to Mew, Mew is much easier and he knew himself better than Tong. I think Mew already knew his feeling on Tong when Tong moved away when they were young. Plus, the film make us know that Mew is homosexual through Ying’s Brother’s word (played by the director), “No need to nag her, people know that Mew is a sissy boy”. The funny director said this dialogue sounds like nothing important, but it is the turning point of the movie that we turn our focus on whether Tong is a homosexual or not!!!!

Someone said that Mew tempted Tong to be a homosexual. In my opinion, I dun agree with this because Tong already lost his interest on Donut before he met Mew. On the other hand, when he met Mew again he found out his feeling on Mew, but he was not sure and he cannot face his family and peer pressure. (Compare to Mew, Mew is better because the members of August band already knew it).

Mew touches Tong’s heart deeply at the night he sings for Tong so that when Mew was asked not to see Tong again, Tong became lost and started to go out at night instead of staying at home and spent the whole night drinking with his friends. At the same time, Tong’s mum starts her introspection (her cried scene with June was very typical). I think at this moment Tong already confirm he is loving Mew but not Donut. However, due to Mew’s gender and his confusion on himself whether he is homosexual or not, he was not daring to face it.

So later when his friends ask him directly “Are you gay?” He was irritated and angry. Therefore he hugged Ying to prove that he is not homosexual, at the same time, he also wanted to test himself whether he is homosexual or not. But I’m afraid that the result is Tong dun have feeling. This is another turning point, since then Tong ensure his sexual orientation and he also used this chance to walk out of the wardrobe and confessed himself in front of his friends.

So when this problem was solved, Tong became relaxed and know what to do already because he has Mew’s undoubtedly love and he also sure his love for Mew. The only problem is to solve his family’s trouble and his relationship. So that’s why when Tong returned to home, he looks relaxed and he started to help his mum with some housework and taking care of his father. Later when Tong and his mum were decorating the Christmas tree, his expression and words to his mum shows that he is very mature. If you watched carefully, you can find out that before his confession, his eyes was full of confusions, but after he chose the male puppet out of the two puppets in his mother’s hand, his eyes is filled with determination and confidence.

11. What did June told Korn in hospital?

June said that, “dad, I have something to tell you…” After that the camera turns to Tong.

Later when Tong and his mum turned up, June asked Sunee that, “What we have been done, does it really help to improve things?”

At the end Korn hugged Sunee and said, “I knew, I’ve always known”. After that Tong came back from the Siam Square and hugged his mum. The camera shows that Korn was totally relaxed and lying quietly on his bed. Have you ever noticed that before that Korn always curled himself up when he was sleeping? This has shown that Korn is completely relaxed.

Did June tell Korn the truth? Did she tell Korn about the little attraction between Mew and Tong?

What has Korn known? I think nobody will know and everyone has different opinions, but one thing we sure is that Korn has accepted the truth that Tang is no longer existed. Besides, Korn begins to treasure the one stay with him all the time, understanding them by making allowance for them and showing his love back to the family.

12. The description of the theme

The theme was first shown by using Mew’s monologue which bring out a question, “ if we love someone so much, how can we bear it that one day we will be separated by death? And… that losing someone is part of life? Is it possible that we love someone and we are not afraid of losing them? At the same time, I was wondering… is it possible… that we can live without loving anyone at all?”

In fact the questions are brought out based on ‘love brings us pain’. The reason we feel pain about separating is also because of love and we feel lonely is also because of love. This is the tail of a coin.

The second time is about Ying’s words, “as long as you love, you still have hopes.”

Actually Ying’s words answer the questions above because we have Love to support us and make us alive, Love will bring us hopes. This is the head of a coin.

The last theme is shown by June’s letter. The director uses June’s letter to give out the full answer which is,

“You can make it because you have so much love for one another. Even though sometimes it seems to be too much that hurts you, but I believe when time goes, we would all understand that there’s no such thing as ‘too much love’. Even if it led us into making some mistakes, but it’s better than never trying anything to find love at all. Isn’t that right? Life always gives us opportunities to start over after the lesson of the mistakes. I hope you take the opportunities you still have to take good care of one another.’

Okay, what’s the ending? I think everyone should know the answer. Yes, at the end Mew and Tong will be together, but it may not be lover form.

13. Music express the theme

If you have time, try to listen to the songs of the films and read the lyrics at the same time, from ‘Ticket’ to ‘only you’, then ‘can you feel it’ to ‘together’. You will found out that these songs form a hidden line of the movie which shows the changes of emotions and feelings of the characters.

14. From Ying’s hold hand to let go

A lot people feel sorry for Ying that she let go at the end of the concert, but most of them forget the part Ying held Tong’s hand when Tong ask Ying for idea how to deal with Donut’s message. Ying told Tong, ‘I don’t know, Tong. You have to decide’, followed by a scene Ying held Tong’s hand. Due to a lot of cutting at the end of the movie, someone may even think that Ying became Tong’s girlfriend.

In fact, there’s a cut scene after Ying bought Tong the puppet’s nose.

They are waiting for bus at the bus stop, Ying asks Tong to give the nose to Mew as a Christmas present. Tong asks Ying if Mew is going to run away like last time. (I think it refers to the other scene that Mew turned to the corner when he saw Tong on the street). Ying says that he won’t run away any more. And then Tong asks Ying why she helped him so much. Ying answers him it’s for Mew.

From Ying’s hold hand to let go, Ying gives Tong back to Mew using her own hands. After the concert, Ying did the last favour for Tong, that’s why she cried at the parking lot. When her friends asked she ‘where’s Tong’, she said meaningfully, ‘he’s probably home.’

15. Donut’s ending (only can be seen in 186mins)

Same, this only can be seen in 186mins version, after Tong breaks up with Donut. I always took pity on Donut because she was dumped on Christmas. But at the end she found another guy, when she walked pass the toy shop, she found out that the puppet’s nose is missing, from her meaningful expression, I think she understand Tong and be tolerant.

16. Why can Mew play the Chinese song at the first place but later don’t know how to play?

I also confused at first. Isn’t Mew play very well when Tong first went back to Mew’s house? At that time Tong asked Mew to play him the song, Mew play very well. How come suddenly he cannot play?

There’s another scene in 186mins version that grandma lying on the bed and she asked small Mew to play her the song. At that time, Mew also could not play the song because his grandma was dying.

If you combine these two scenes together, you can get the answer. It’s because the one who Mew deeply love is no longer exist, his hope is destroyed, his love has nowhere to go, his mind is in tangle. That’s why he cannot memorise the notes and play it on the piano. So Ying’s word ‘As long as you love, you still have hopes’ make Mew has hopes again. If you see it this way, the story becomes more meaningful and touching.

17. The question that cannot be answered.

This is also a scene in 186mins version. Donut found Tong and asked him, ‘have you ever think of apologize to me? Tong answered, ‘I have something more important to think of.’

Indeed, Tong really have something more important to deal with, such as how to solve the problem between Mew and himself. This is another comparison in the movie. At first, Tong listened and followed everything that Donut asked to, but now he didn’t. Tong has his own mind and decision, same as what I said above. Tong has grown up.

18. There’s one thing we can say it without doubting, the last night Tong is running to Mew but not Donut.

If you watch it carefully, u can find out that Donut asked Tong to meet her at 6.30 while Mew’s concert is 8.00. After Tong arrived, Donut said, ‘you are late again’. This means that Tong is planning to go to find Mew due to Mew always avoids seeing him. In fact Tong also not sure whether he is going to meet Donut or not, but Donut kept on messaging him, he then decided to end it and showed up.

19. Mew left the band for twice.

It’s easier to know it in 186mins version, after the night when they have audition and Mew never turned up, June and the band members talked to Mew, June said, ‘I know what’s going on, but I still have to find a reason to tell Aod.’ Mew claimed that he’ll try. This shows that Mew knew he has to be responsible to the band and be fair to the other members of the band. So he returned to the band but he sat on the seat of drums, I think he had no mood to sing (vocal change to the little fat boy). Maybe he’s there just help to train the band. However, Mew was gone again, that’s why on the white board written in red ink that Mew breaks the band’s role. This is telling that Mew still cannot get rid of his pain and sad. Therefore all the other members sit there with their body but their spirits have gone far away with Mew, they missed Mew. When Mew came back the second time (only be seen in the 186mins), they play music to welcome their vocal back. When Mew was trapped between love and responsibility, he successfully defeated his hesitation. On the other hand, other members’ friendship, tolerant heart and understanding to him were expressed fully, they grew up together.

20. The ending in the MV.

If you watch carefully, you can find out that the MV actually trying to show a Christmas after few years because they all have different haircut. The TV screen on the Siam square play a song that Mew made for Tong, but the vocal change to another person. Tong sees it and asks Mew out to meet at the same place they used to meet. At the same time Ying and Donut also walk around the square. The four of them walk and walk without stopping and to different direction, as they walk, they think of what happened in the past.

But the most importantly, why they walk around and around? And what’s the meaning of playing the old scenes?

Walking is like searching, just like the game treasure hunt in the film, they are searching their true love.

When Tong is searching there’re some scenes cut in, the first scene is his break up with Donut, then change to Mew’s house and Mew writes a song for him. This means that although Donut is his first love, she’s not his true love, Mew is the one.

When Donut is searching, the scenes are all about their shopping and quarrels, and then walked away with another boy. When she turns her head to look for Tong, Tong was walking with his friends and didn’t realise Donut’ existence. This shows that Donut has found Tong, but Tong is not her true love, at the end she seeing with another boy.

How about Ying? She was tightening 99 roses; followed by a scene Mew tells her that she is his good friend forever. Ying also found Mew, however Mew is not her true love too.

Turn to Mew, he is very sure that Ying can only be his good friend forever, then he meets Tong, Ying only watches Tong leaving quietly. After that Tong runs to some place, where is he going to go? Followed by three scenes, Donut is waiting, Ying is waiting and Mew is waiting too.

Tong continues to run, Mew walks up to the stage, Ying pull Tong up to the overpass, and then let go.

When Mew sees Tong, he sings happily.

Ying has helped Tong to find Mew.

The scene changes to June, June is on her way home to find out her love(family love). Sunee was searching for Tong followed by a scene Korn hugs her tightly. (They have found their true love).

The last playback scene is Tang’s return and they have reunite dinner.

At the end are the weirdest turning head scenes. There’s one thing you need to pay attention, Tong never turn his head, and he always looks forward. After Donut turns her head, she is watching upward at the place under the big TV screen. After Ying turns her head, Ying is looking on her right side and Mew is the only one turn his back and looking for someone. Who is he looking for? Of course Tong.

As a result, director implies that at the end everyone has found their true love while. Mew and Tong is together at the end, but Mew may be as a family member of Tong, the love Mew gives is far beyond family’s love and the love between two people.

Reflection: characters are points, attitudes

In the film everyone represents different kinds of loves and attitudes. Everyone is growing in thinking.

Finally, Tong understood the most important thing is he love Mew, Mew’s gender is no longer an obstacle.

Sunnie also understood the most important thing is Tong has already grown up, he will choose his way, regardless of which way he choose.

Korn also understood the most important thing is cherish the love you having now, whether Tang can come back is no longer important.

June understood the most important thing in life is having true love, whether she can go overseas to make money is no longer important.

Ying understood the most important thing is Mew finally got his true love, at the same time she receive the love between Tong and Mew which is far beyond friendship and love so that whether she can live with Mew is no longer important.

The members of the band also understood that the most important things is Mew can reopen his heart to let someone go in and Mew can come back to the band so that whether he is gay or not is no longer important.

The friends of Tong also understood that the most important thing is Tong can make his own decision despite of his mother and his girlfriend so that who will be with Tong at the end is no longer important.

For Mew, I’m sure Mew also understood that he received Tong’s true love, he can see that Tong is working hard on their love so that whether Tong can be his boyfriend or not is no longer important.

I hope Donut can understand at the end that LOVE IS GIVING INSTEAD OF ASKING!

And we now understand that this is a comedy but not a tragedy, this is not because of the plot, it’s because we grow up with the film.

• Like 1

• 10 years later...