Trojans And Viruses

jerrybeirne

If your computer came with no operating system and the store offered to install a dodgy XP version, you will likely see a result like that when scanning right after they installed their crap programs. Clean it up and you are probably not going to see it happen again once they are gone.

Make sure you download all the Windows security updates. Even if you were given a copy of Windows, the security updates will be available to you.

Hi 

Ya may want to avoid doing that if your not confident, the ability to get the updates will depend heavily on how dodgy your install of xp is.

But im sure the few virus hits you have are only minor, often false positive from cracked files for the programs installed.

Cheers

1. Kaspesky is not high on false positives in my limited experience and I would not call 47+1 a minor issue. It needs to be resolved. All it takes is one.

2. XP copy can be updated with all important security changes. The worst that will happen is warning that it is not real if you load the genuine advantage program. But if you review and load only security updates also even that is not likely to happen. You need to have it up to date.

Actually he never said he had XP.

Edited by lopburi3

Hi

Dunno about you guys but i have seen plenty of copy versions of xp that will not even load windows update until they have wga check installed (yes you can get the updates thru alternate means but who has the time?), *most* decent copies can do it fine and ya just avoid the obvious genuine authentication software and IE8 (requires wga to install)

Trojan false positives are common for cracked programs due to the files callback features or validating routines being altered making it look suspicious or hijacked, often you will get hits on a generic trojan or keylogger (basically the AV saying something is dodgy but we dunno what exactly).

I agree fully it does only take one virus to mess a system up but if you have that virus already nine times out of ten its too late :/ good prevention is worth far more that good removal once your infected IMO.

Cheers

sawsdee, i have recently bought my first laptop. it has a kaspesky anti virus installed in it. i checked the report and it informs me i have 47 trojans and 1 virus after only 10 days.

Hey Jerry, I paid for a Kaspersky pack IT sec. a few weeks ago. They installed it at the shop and had 6 trojans ...but the program had cleaned them. The day before was running Bitdefender.

It may have been that Bitdef didn't pick these up and Kaspersky did? I'm no teccy but would that make sense?? or was it viruses in the shop where they insalled it?? Anyway, all was fine by the time I took it home :)

P.S. Are they listed under 'detected threats' and have 'deleted' by them? If so no worries now (that's where mine are from install date)