Separation Anxiety

Credo

After many years of working weekends for a small tuition school, I finally resigned. I’ve left before, but always ended up being called back. I finally found a really good person to replace me and let him take the reigns.

I’ve been looking forward to having some time to myself, especially on the weekends, so it was a joyous day….or so I thought. I went in to help with the changeover, introduce him to the students and all that goes with around 12 years of working there.

The students were fine with everything, but I was suddenly overcome with separation anxiety. Many of the older students I have taught since they were starters. For many, I was there first language teacher. Some of them, I’ve taught their older brothers and sisters, a few who have now already graduated from University.

I had no idea it was going to affect me in such an emotional manner. I suddenly had such anxiety about their welfare and learning (don’t recall too much of that when I was teaching them).

It’s now a done deal and I am really quite content with the decision. Anyone else ever have feelings of anxiety and remorse when separating from students?

well no but then i have never taught but i can imagine what you are feeling,you have a history there,teaching the same kids for many years and then their brothers and sisters,seeing them learning and advancing on to university must be a very satisfying experience and i can also imagine you would become close to them and their families.you are to be commended for your attitude/concern,and yes am sure you would miss all that.perhaps you will start again but with less demanding time/hours and you can regain what you feel you are losing again.good luck.

That's an amazing experience of Credo to share, he or she must have a great many memories, friendships, and connections built up over 12 years. It's incredible to imagine such a tenure and all the trust and gratitude people have in and for Credo so surely some anxiety is inevitable. Keeping in touch with people you've worked with is always very cathartic.

It's only natural- and a sign of a good teacher- to develop emotional attachments to students. If it didn't happen to a teacher, especially at the primary/secondary levels, I think something would be wrong. A good teacher will care about the *person*, not just getting him/her to learn whatever subject curriculum there is- and a student will usually feel it when that is true and respond warmly. I hear from students whom I taught as long as a decade ago or more in other countries, and of course those I have taught more recently (I don't usually give out any of my private contact details to classes until graduation time, to make sure that I am not playing favourites with anybody). I worry about how they are doing and try to offer advice when I can.

It hasn't happened yet, but if I live long enough, I am sure eventually I will find out about former students' deaths- a very sobering prospect.

Thanks for the kind replies. Separation is a double edged sword. In spite of feeling a bit of sadness. It's really nice to see students move on with their life and it's nice to see that your impact was more that teaching the difference between is and are.

I sometimes forget that even foreign teachers have a large impact on the lives of students here.

And my dog is happy to have me home more!