Thai Business Suits - Material (100% Polyester?)

Certainly not the authoritative source on business formal wear, Lonely Planet suggests that most Thai businessmen wear off-the-rack 100% polyester suits. How accurate is this assessment?

I am moving to Bangkok from Chicago in October on business, and the majority of my suits are 100% cotton or wool. From a practical standpoint, these will obviously be a bit "warm."

My question is this: Is my best bet to bring all of my suits from the US, or should I plan to buy lighter-material suits once I get to Thailand? What should I expect to spend on a decent-quality suit there?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Tailored lightweight woollen suits are not very expensive in Thailand.

Avoid the '$99.00 Specials' though. The material may look nice, but the stitching may start to unravel within minutes, or do funky things after it's been cleaned.

Edited by mbkudu

I agree, most Thais don't seem to have a problem with polyester and often seem to prefer it due to the cheap price and easy maintenance.

Don't compare yourself with a Thai. These guys have a weird metabolism and can wear sweaters and coats when farangs are sweating in briefs. You and I would be cooking in a polyester leasure suit.

Lonely Planet suggests that most Thai businessmen wear off-the-rack 100% polyester suits. How accurate is this assessment?

It's about as accurate as a lot of the other backpacker crap in Lonely Planet. Asking the kind of people who write for Lonely Planet (or read it) what 'businessmen' wear in Bangkok is like asking Michael Jackson what to wear for a day in court.

Business people dress here pretty well the same as they would in any other major city -- i.e. in tailored wools if you are a top guy (or aspire to be), in off-the-rack blends if you're a middle manager, and in a tie without a jacket if you're a worker type.

What you are bringing sounds fine and, if it's not, there are wonderful businessmen's tailors in Bangkok that will deliver you better goods than you will find almost anywhere at less than half the price. Just stay away from the lower Sukhumvit Indians who hustle the tourists.