Scammers Rippoffs Crooks, Anyone Get Approached Sakhumvit Area By Pairs Of Black Men Saying Hello? And Approaching ?

nycboy57

I have not seen anything about this so tonight after again for the upteenth time I was approached by two Black men in their late 20's or early 30"s, they see me walking either on Sukhumvit or tonight in Tops by Robinson, I noticed them looking at items but when I was checking out I see they were behind me and only had one bottle of water. They tried to get me in a conversation as so many other teams or crews have done since I have been here. This is a daily occurrence for me and I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them? I am from NYC and was told early on whenever approached by overly friendly teams to walk away and do not engage with them because it has always been someone looking either to borrow money or take money and property. No one else ever says hello to me here, no Thai's or any other nationality. I know this might be taken as prejudiced and wrong for writing this but has really gotten out of hand. They seem to wait outside supermarkets like Villa by Ambassador and walking along Sukhumvit or Foodland Soi 5 Sukhumvit. A couple times on Bts Nana. I know that so many different attempts at engaging me in conversation does not seem normal to me and I hope that if anyone was ripped off or has given money or lost anything they will come forward and share this info to warn others and Tourist Police etc. Again I want to thank the forums of Thai Visa website since I don't think I would have survived this long here without the daily emails and readings of the many caring people involved here. Thank you all. Sincerely and if this offends anyone it was not meant to do that but to inform unsuspecting people from possibly getting hurt or scammed. I have not been since I just walk away and do not say anything, Some might say I am overly protective and paranoid. However maybe you are right and maybe these guys are just the most friendliest guys in the world coming to Bkk to say hello to me everyday.??? or maybe not? I am not waiting around since I do not want their friendship. I choose who I am going to talk to and not be a victim as others have been Cheers to all.Visitors enjoy your stay here, I love it and have retired here. The Thai's have never caused me a problem. My problems have been with foreigners who seem to be drunk and disorderly at times and again I avoid that type of people. I wonder if this gets printed or is it too crazy? We shall see?

They are African hypnotists/cognitive psychological conmen.

They can (and will) be successful in 30% of cases.

They can relieve you of ALL your valuables; wallet, phone, keys, condoms, etc. etc. if you strike up a conversation with them.

Do what I do: Say in a Slavic/Pakistani accent "Sorry No English" and walk on fast.

Edited by syd barrett

Thanks for the head up.

It doesn't matter who it is. If I don't know them or I haven't initiated the conversation, I don't stop for them. I smile, say 'No, Thanks' and keep on going, even if they're still talking. Depending on the situation, it's better to not acknowledge them at all. (Walking alone on a quiet street.)

I see a lot of foreigners who stop because the other party is still talking. Out of politeness or whatever reason, they stop and then they're trapped in the conversation. Once you're stopped, I think it's harder to say 'No' to whatever they're after. Cnce you decline their first offer, another offer follows, followed by another. It's easier to just keep walking.

I sometimes I think, what a horrible thing to do. Some of these touts make a living directing tourists to different places, but they're also used to being ignored. It's part of the deal.

Smile (after all you are a guest in their country), be direct but polite when you say 'No, thank you' or 'mai khob khun' and keep on walking or running, even if they follow, do not stop. Eventually they'll break off their pursuit. It's not normal for them to follow, but I've had it happen.

If you mean no, then keep walking. If you hesitate, you've just shown them you're vulnerable and feast on you they will. LOL

Edited by badcdn

Actually these days the people you are referring to are in a minority; a few years ago LOS was flooded with these guys but the Thai's changed the visa regs with the result that there are far fewer of them these days so its rare to be troubled by them, and if you are being troubled by them to the extent you say then you might be radiating a "vulnerable" profile, find that surprising as your from NYC. Having said that although these guys are much reduced in number, so are the tourists. Coming from where you do you probably have your own alert radar set, and that's a problem because as you have said you have no problems with the Thai's you have met, well simple fact is that is not, as a tourist, something which you should depend upon. Simple fact is that the ***holes in LOS gravitate towards newbies like yourself, try going to the Royal Palace and see how many friendly "helpful" Thai's will approach you. It's a wonderful country and the paradox is that if you took yourself off and got drunk and ended up in a slum area of Bangkok you would certainly get helped into a taxi by the locals and sent home wallet intact.

Be careful out there. :)

Actually I re- read your post, your only a newbie poster, you have been here for 3 years and you still get this problem ? Weird to say the least.

Edited by roamer

This is not new. This is gooing on for years allready.

Sukhumvit, Tops, Foodland, Pantip plaza, Robinson....You name it, theyr looking for lonely white farangs.

The last time theyr tried to talk with me in Tops, when i didn't answer them, they called me a rascist.

Hmmmmm. It certainly does pay to be careful, and I have to admit I have met African scammers a numbers of times, although not in a long time.

On the other hand, I've met some pretty interesting people as well, that had no ill intent.

So, I remain alert and cautious.

One day recently a couple of Africans stopped to ask me directions. I have to admit I was suspicious. But, ultimately they were just asking directions. One at BTS Ploenchit the other day seemed more suspicious to me, so I gave him a quick answer to his question and kept right on walking.

A lot depends on what kind of situation I'm in. Isolated or very public. Carrying much money or my digital camera or passport?

Several people mentioned Nana. An area I stay clear of unless going to Bumrungrad or some specific restaurant in the area. As far as I'm concerned, just about the sleaziest area of the city.

What a surprise, Nigerians trying on a scam :) Wherever these guys go in the world, they sell drugs, traffic women and scam other people. I've heard their own country is just as bad. And lets not forget their internet scams.

Can anyone honestly claim that Nigerians are not some of the least trustworthy people in the world?

java script:bbc_pop()

I was stopped last time in Panthip, some bullshit about the guys father dying, walked off before he got to the money part. Even other Africans dislike Nigerians intensely for giving them all a bad name.

<snip>

The post was deleted

raro :)

i can honestly claim that only an ignorant and pompous àss can judge the 120 million Nigerians based on the behaviour of a tiny minority. take that from somebody who has spent 4½ good years of his life in Nigeria.

The whole area around Sukhumvit is like the worlds dustbin. After working and living in that area I left because I couldnt take the daily aggravation and general atmosphere. There was a time I felt reasonably safe however earlier this year it became too much, prostitutes of all nationalities linger from from Soi 3-Asoke constantly touching and getting in your way. Africans and Thais alike with red eyes from taking there daily fix or Yabba whatever the cheapest drug is would try and engage a conversation....I would smile and carry on my way but the worrying thing this could happen anytime between 7.00am or 8.00pm and probably even later........The authorities really need to take a grip of the situation now as it will become a no-go area for tourists and residents alike, a place only suitable for junkies and perverts....

Good point Mr Naam, but the guts of this topic is to make others aware of what "type" of scammers to be wary of around the areas noted.

As a frequent visitor to Thailand since 1975, I have to agree with the OP and he is spot on with his description.

Not to bring any race discrimination into the topic, but he is correct and I have been lucky or just plain intelligent enough to do away with these vermin, seconds after they approach.

Good point Mr Naam, but the guts of this topic is to make others aware of what "type" of scammers to be wary of around the areas noted.

As a frequent visitor to Thailand since 1975, I have to agree with the OP and he is spot on with his description.

Not to bring any race discrimination into the topic, but he is correct and I have been lucky or just plain intelligent enough to do away with these vermin, seconds after they approach.

yes thanks for that response, my intention is to find out if this is something that happens with others as well as myself and to warn others of the type of scammers out there and how to handle it without and dangers.I am overly sensitive guy and always reluctant of writing about things I see because of some responses like if I come from NYC I should be more aware or alert or look like a NY er, however, as I said as soon as someone in a team, not a person alone, starts off with hello, I get the feeling they are up to no good. Just like they were talking to others in the store while one was shopping around with their backpacks. When I went to check out, they were right behind me as I was in my wallet getting my spot card. That is when one of them started speaking to me, I didn't answer, and made a face like I knew where they were coming from, let them check out before me. I saw they only were buying one small water. Very suspicious to me in any case, the back packs seem to be full. None of my business as to what people are doing in Sukhumvit area. It is where I live and I basically stay in my condo most of the time with my physical ailments I have what I need and convenience of Supermarkets, Gym and BTs, I overall enjoy my life here. In closing I appreciate the responses of all and I hope whoever is approached by these teams, now I say teams, I have never been approached by one person asking to say hello and engage in conversation, at one point last year I was quite rude to them and said hey man, you want my money don't you, you see me with my iphone I am a target for you aren't I, he was shocked, the other guy took off, but he was definitely from USA and he talked very educated, but he definitely was a con man and trying to hustle me. He was a pro and I just kept walking as I normally do when I am engaged by strangers working in teams. If I saw one person who looked like a lost tourist, then I might engage if I felt they were sincere, but crews out there to hustle farang and old timers specifically, I just don't have the time for. Life is too short and good to enjoy and I am not here to be harassed or hustled or fight with anyone. Blessings to them and us all. Thanks and bye for now. Yes I am a newbie, I would just hope people write in here more with their experiences and use this a means to communicate for guidance and for awareness. For oldtimers here I would hope you be kind and gentle for the newbies to encourage as much dialogue as possible, jUst a suggestion, up to you. Egos prevailing we don't have to prove to the readers how smart we are or how cool and slick and make ourselves sound good at the expense of others feelings eh?

I have not seen anything about this so tonight after again for the upteenth time I was approached by two Black men in their late 20's or early 30"s, they see me walking either on Sukhumvit or tonight in Tops by Robinson, I noticed them looking at items but when I was checking out I see they were behind me and only had one bottle of water. They tried to get me in a conversation as so many other teams or crews have done since I have been here. This is a daily occurrence for me and I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them? I am from NYC and was told early on whenever approached by overly friendly teams to walk away and do not engage with them because it has always been someone looking either to borrow money or take money and property. No one else ever says hello to me here, no Thai's or any other nationality. I know this might be taken as prejudiced and wrong for writing this but has really gotten out of hand. They seem to wait outside supermarkets like Villa by Ambassador and walking along Sukhumvit or Foodland Soi 5 Sukhumvit. A couple times on Bts Nana. I know that so many different attempts at engaging me in conversation does not seem normal to me and I hope that if anyone was ripped off or has given money or lost anything they will come forward and share this info to warn others and Tourist Police etc. Again I want to thank the forums of Thai Visa website since I don't think I would have survived this long here without the daily emails and readings of the many caring people involved here. Thank you all. Sincerely and if this offends anyone it was not meant to do that but to inform unsuspecting people from possibly getting hurt or scammed. I have not been since I just walk away and do not say anything, Some might say I am overly protective and paranoid. However maybe you are right and maybe these guys are just the most friendliest guys in the world coming to Bkk to say hello to me everyday.??? or maybe not? I am not waiting around since I do not want their friendship. I choose who I am going to talk to and not be a victim as others have been Cheers to all.Visitors enjoy your stay here, I love it and have retired here. The Thai's have never caused me a problem. My problems have been with foreigners who seem to be drunk and disorderly at times and again I avoid that type of people. I wonder if this gets printed or is it too crazy? We shall see?

Google "Nigeria connection" and you will immediately know what's going on, those guys are hanging out in every Megacity of the world and approach people with their story, during our time in Bkk 1998-2004 we had'm at least once a week near farang places, the same happened to us in the last 10years in Cologne,Berlin,Munich,HK,Sydney,Atlanta,Washington,Orlando,KL,Singapur,so don't worry your common sense is still absolutely healthy.

Happened to me several times and twice an hour apart in one day by the same 2 guys, so then I knew they were up to no good. one time they were walking fast to try to catch up to me, another time calling out to me from a long distance away. I just kept my distance and ignored them.

I visited Singapore a few weeks ago where Mrs CM and myself were stood in a rather long queue of people at the Orchard BTS station - before long a tall black man came up to us wearing, what we suspected was, a fake BTS tee shirt and whispered, "are you waiting for tickets", to which I replied yes. Looking around nervously he said, "Come with me", quietly and "I'll get you your tickets more quickly". We followed him to a ticket machine where he asked us to insert the required money for our destination ticket and after a short wait, plop, the ticket popped out of the machine. He looked at us and smiled and said, "have a nice day", before walking off to help other tourists.

Would be scam artists, fortune tellers, flyer handers - they all get the same treatment from me - just because are offering, doesn't mean I a buying.

Last week case in point. Sitting outside at restaurant lower sukhumvit trying to enjoy my lunch when a gentleman came up to my table where i was sitting and said "Good day sir, I see you have three names written on your forehead"...

I cut him off right there and said to him "Do you f... mind, I am trying to eat my lunch, and besides unless those 3 names are Angelina Jolie, Beyonce and my wife, you better go shave your ass and learn to walk backwards mate cause I don't wanna see your face again. Have a good day - somewhere else."

Moral of the story - don't interrupt my lunch. :)

"I have not seen anything about this... I was approached by two Black men and they tried to get me in a conversation... and I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them?"

People talk to me all of the time, white, black, Asian, Jews, Christians, and Muslims. I guess that I should be terrified.

Thailand seems to attract all sorts of scam artists from all over the world. Recently a large Chinese IT fraud gang got busted on Phuket where also Russian and Italien gangs have been operating since a while.

No surprise to see now some Nigerian crooks coming in for a few quick bucks. At least the Thai police won`t join with them so easily :-)

<snip>

The post was deleted

raro :)

i can honestly claim that only an ignorant and pompous àss can judge the 120 million Nigerians based on the behaviour of a tiny minority. take that from somebody who has spent 4½ good years of his life in Nigeria.

Well Naam, I come from the off shore oil business and spoke to many reasonable and sensible people who lived there, NOT ONE had a pleasant story to tell. Living in camps all together with top of the line security systems installed and still having to defend themselves with arms is par for the course.

In 1989 I received my first scam letter tru the mail, nobody had internet those days. Followed by scam faxes and now scam e-mails. From where do you think this originates? Oh yeah, from a tiny minority, but ONLY from Nigeria.

Up to you, but when I receive ANYTHING from Nigeria it is thrown in the round file without opening.

this happened to me last year, i was walking down soi 5 and they came up to me, 2 of them asking questions and trying to engaged me.

as i tried to walk away, one went to to grab my arm. i turned round and said "if you touch me again, i will break your face"

they then turned and walked away!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTZEcAY_95A

• 2 months later...

The sad part is this is about helping people avoid any kind of problems and not sarcastic remarks, which I was told the definition of sarcasm is tearing of flesh.

Why respond with some defensive attitude when it is a problem.

Two guys whatever color or race or religion or nationality come up to older men, farangs? trying to engage in conversation at night on Sukhumvit area. This is not a normal thing to try and manipulate and set up an unsuspecting mark.

Hey if it has not happened to you? if you are not elderly looking maybe in your late 60's why get upset and nasty when possibly these guys are looking to do something that just is not right.

I do not find any single persons coming up to me asking to talk about where you from ? etc etc/

it is always crews, or pairs, and they all seem real slick and manipulating.

Yes it might be paranoia and insane to assume anything,

but it is always the same pattern or M. O>

and it always black guys. Now not to say others have not used this technique to hustle money from old timers here in BKK>

Not to say the pattern doesn't work for single guys either, all I am saying is what my experience is of 3 years here.

It is really sad that I cannot feel safe in sharing this on this website without some wise guy coming across like I am the problem and these

crews are the good guys.

Just think about it, how many guys in their late 20's or early 30's go around talking to old white men?

Think??????? then decide maybe just maybe these guys are trying to do something that ain't right?

Just maybe??? Then some old timer reads this and next time a couple of black guys try and get him into a conversation

maybe he will remember this and walk on by and not engage them in conversation that might lead him into something

not healthy, and then he remembers that some guy on the web responded with an arrogant and nasty sarcasm that he should

not have to fear anything and it is probably paranoia. That make you happy? Superior? what?Blessings to you, and I did read that I am not the only one that has experienced this type of crew hustling white old men.

"I have not seen anything about this... I was approached by two Black men and they tried to get me in a conversation... and I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them?"

People talk to me all of the time, white, black, Asian, Jews, Christians, and Muslims. I guess that I should be terrified.