Please Advice: Do We Have The Right For Some Refund?

Hello all,

My girlfriend and I have been looking for a new condo for rent and we found one. We checked it out during the day when there was not much traffic and it’s about 10 minutes walk from MRT (Subway).

We then decided to take it and the owner said that we should pay the first deposit for 11,000 THB for the guarantee that we were seriously taking it and we thought that made sense so we paid.

Later on the week we agreed to sign the contract, we went there right after work which was around 5.30pm and there was a heavily congested traffic, no flyover to cross to the other side (where the condo is) so we had to go though cars to get to the other side.

We realized that we couldn’t possibly live like this for another year since we have to commute to work by MRT. We decided to not sign the contract and talked to the owner right away. He said it was ok but would have to think about the deposit we paid.

Then he sent an email saying that he would not refund any of the money.

Would anybody let us know if we deserve to get at least 50% of the money back? Or it is the right thing for the owner to take this whole money?

Thanks everybody for their answer. It's highly appreciated.

I wouldnt give you a refund, it was your responsibility to check out the area before handing over money, saying so later is a bit lame and I would call you a TIMEWASTER.