Bangkok To Sihanoukville, Cambodia

nicholasmerwood

This is easy information to follow.

http://www.geckozy-guesthouse.com/cambodia-information.htm

1. Bangkok to Sihanoukville

take the Bus leaving for Trat from the Eastern Bus station in Bkk or the Minibus from the K.S. Road. If you do not want to stay in Koh Kong overnight take one of the 11.30 p.m. buses from the Eastern Bus station to Trat. You arrive at 4.30 a.m. in Trat were you hop on the waiting minibus to the Boarder Hat Lek (1 h drive) and wait till the Gates open at 7.00 a.m.. After they overcharged you for your Visa you may take a moto or a car to Koh Kong proper were the boat leaves at 8.00 a.m. and arrives in Sihanoukville at noon. Alternative there is a Minibus from Koh Kong to Sihanoukville at 9.00 a.m.. Remember that in the big Buses or in the Boat you may be able to grab some sleep, while in the Minibuses ...well. There is no regular flight from Bkk to Sihanoukville.

so why would they terminate boatlines? thats due to new roads-same same for the PnPn-Siem Reap some time ago.

the mentioned site is overdue for rehaul. try these:

canbypublications.com for all KHmer bustimes

travelasia.com or so-use google-for ALL detailed info on ANY Thai-Khmer boarder+transportations

BTW that island is named Koh KONG-unless you had some other tyny one in mind without any regular links

Sorry but I'm not interested in Koh Kong, I'm interested in Koh Rong. After much research it seems you can hire boats from Sihanoukville and some satellite islands around Koh Rong which are accesible from Koh Kong. Can get a 13M private yacht for $200US/day. That'll do the trick. There is no regular ferry service to this island.

How long does it take to catch a bus from PP to Sihanoukville? Sounds like a much better idea.

My advice is don't risk using any other bus company than the ' Mekong express'. I've used them and they provide a great service and are very proud to do so.

On my last trip at xmas i travelled with 'Paramount' from siem reap to sihanhookville via Phnom penn. But although i paid for the vip ticket they secretly took the belt off the aircon compressor at PP and the sealed bus started to swelter with the incredible early afternoon heat. And not one of the backpacker scum or panama hat wearing tourists said a word.

Fortunately for me i'm not a walk over and i started the shouting and screaming including telling the whole bus that they were all to quote " Guttless c@%ts" and soon the bus was pulled over while the engine stopped and the belt re-fitted and hey presto one cool bus!! And only the cambodian travellers came and thanked me for standing up for peoples rights.

Apart from that most of the time i was always ready for the sting in cambodia but it never came great people on the whole.

Sweet,

can't wait to check it out. do a lot of the Cambodian people speak Thai? I realise there is a bit of tension as the Thai-Cambodian border as well, if I go with my Thai wife would this be a concern?

They speak Khmer, same as northeastern Thais near Cambodian border (Prasat, Surin, etc.) Your wife will probably be understood but nothing is for certain in Kamphucha. If you fly, be prepared to spend at least $50 USD in and out for you and your wife, and make sure it is USD because that's what they really like.

If you enjoy being highly pressured by the locals then the bus is the way to go to Sihanookville. SIX HOUR RIDE !! The bus station will be an experience leading to what will later come. Do not expect to find a reasonably priced taxi when you arrive, or even a taxi at all. My Thai wife and I stayed a few days there two years ago. and will never go back. We were promised a taxi to the bus in the morning, didn't happen. Many other things promised...didn't happen.

The beaches, however, were excellent and I highly recommend this part of Cambodia, but caution about what it takes to get there. Our hotel stay in Phnom Phen was nice, but getting there is a story I will tell my grandchildren...not pleasant or fun.

Good luck! If you are an experienced traveler then none of this will come as a surprise. If not, keep your wits about you and good luck.

mario299

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone done this trip or gone to Sihanoukville in Cambodia, our ultimate destination is Koh Rong.

any tips, advice or any ideas of visa's involved/cost and route of transport etc.

cheers.

I would definitely fly. The hassles at the border are not worth it. You will get ripped off for your visa. If you complain they will just tell you go back to Thailand. If you get stuck for the night at the border you will just spend more money there getting ripped off. Don't buy tickets for the bus there from anyone except the bus company if you do go that way. The bus is very uncomfortable as well. If you weigh up all the incidentals flying is the best and least hassle. Unless you want the experience of course, but having had it I would never do that again. The border town is dirty and dusty like most of the country. The beaches are ok. I liked Otres a lot as it was much quieter and there are some cool places to eat and drink and watch the sunset. Cambodia is not Thailand. It can be rough on the streets in PP - I saw a lot of drug use and fighting there - don't walk around on your own at night unless you can handle yourself and even then I wouldn't do it. I spent a week in Sihanouville. I liked it ok but you get hassled a lot on the main beach and it gets annoying....hence otres was much better.

The border crossing is excellent and hassle free at koh Kong, I passed through with my car and GF 3 months ago. Also the drive from Koh kong to sihanoukville is scenic with good roads.

planning to do the same trip at Christmas.

Any tips on paperwork for getting the car across the border, insurance, safety etc?

Do not know why you had those hastles Mario , get a tuk-tuk outside of the hotel/GH to take you to the bus station , buy a ticket and 4 1/2 ride you are in Sihanook-ville having had a food/pee break half way . Have made the trip multiple times , but it is best to buy a ticket the day before you intend to travel to ensure you have a seat , they are also not the 'Hairy-Scary' drivers as in Thailand .

They speak Khmer, same as northeastern Thais near Cambodian border (Prasat, Surin, etc.)
The NW Khmer dialect spoken in Surin/Buriram doesn't get you very far into Cambodia. Don't count on a Thai Khmer speaker to be able to communicate more than absolute basics in PP or Sihanoukville.