Are Posters Truely Representative Of All Expats?

expatdiane

Diane,

firstly i would like to thank you for your post. It seems as though you have thought about it long and hard before posting.

I have only visited Thailand twice but have definitely fallen in love with it.

I came across this forum to find advice and answers to many questions I had before my first visit and more since.

I too have noticed there seem to be a lot of posters who express very negative views of the place they now call home, a few have also responded very negatively to things I have asked about or commented on.

I have to say though that on the whole I have found the forum very helpful and there is much I have learned here, mostly taken with a pinch of salt I might add!

There are people everywhere who just whinge and compain about everything all the time, it drives me mad here in London. I feel I must add though that it is very difficult to ascertain the true tone of what someone types in a forum and it may well be that these people are well adjusted thoughtful human beings who have fulfilling existances and well rounded and considered opinions and I'm sure (almost) that when they 'vent their spleen' on TV we are witnessing just that, a temporary outburst.

However, I have to agree that if the only source of information was this forum I may well have never come to Thailand at all. I decided that as there are many people I know personally who seem to do nothing other than compain bitterly about everything that they perceive to be wrong with London and the UK generally whilst my city and my country has so much going for it that it must be the same with Thailand.

Thankfully I was right.

I feel i should also add that I do agree that when someone perceives something as unjust or unfair then they have the right to say so.

Once again thanks for your post and I hope you end up somewhere that makes you happy :-)

Great comments bifftastic and so true that there are whingers and complainers everywhere - and probably a lot of it is to do with the recession. So many people have less to live on and here we have an outlet for a good moan. It doesn't really help those who are trying to decide whether to live here or not though. I've been frequenting another forum recently (for another country) and so many poor souls on there whinging away and obviously unhappy - so it's not just Phuket.

Like you say, just take everything with a pinch of salt, then visit the place and make up your own mind.

Hello, Expat Diane!

I am a female member of Thai Visa. I've been in Thailand 6+ years, teaching engineering in a Bangkok university, and I love the Kingdom and its people. There are obviously problems here, but that is true everywhere. It can be extremely frustrating watching Thai society behave in unproductive or self-destructive ways when it has so much potential, but I felt even more that way about the U.S.

I don't think TV members as a group are representative of expats. But on the other hand don't let the negative posts put you off too much. Some people just like to complain! And there is a great deal of useful information here (though it can be difficult to find sometimes because you have to wade through a lot of opinion to discover a nugget or two of facts. I've had good success with the classifieds, also.

Feel free to message me privately if you want more info on being a woman expat!

Best,

Dr. Disco

Excuse me.. But what bullying are you referring to ??

We are each entitled to our own opinions.. And I would think duty bound to defend what we think.

So far the only insults and attacks were against me, the cyber bullying cry seems a little odd ??

:D:) Hey livinlos where exactly does anyone direct any bullying call toward you??? Even though to all it is actually obvious.

Myself,i dont think you are a bully, more beligerent and confrontational, and as my old mum would say...

A nosy parker.. :D

How ironic that you fail to see that you and your ilk that choose to dominate TV are the very people that all descent expats acknowledge are the bad apples in the basket and you and your ilk..definately are not truely representitive of all expats[as the OP asks] even tho you all do definately overpower the forum.

How ironic that you fail to see that you and your ilk that choose to dominate TV are the very people that all descent expats acknowledge are the bad apples in the basket and you and your ilk

Define decent expat please (I presume you consider yourself one?).

You know them all personally, do you?

Edited by KarenBravo

How ironic that you fail to see that you and your ilk that choose to dominate TV are the very people that all descent expats acknowledge are the bad apples in the basket and you and your ilk

Define decent expat please (I presume you consider yourself one?).

You know them all personally, do you?

No need..simply take the time..slowly and READ what the majority are saying...easy..None as blind as they who choose not to see. Ironic stuff.