Ie6 Problems

Jai Dee

I like to have multiple windows open when logged onto the Internet and accessing Thai Visa in particular.

For example, I'll log on at the portal page, open a new window to view my previous posts to see what replies I've had, open a new window to view new posts, and right click and open topics in a new window.

The purpose of opening all these windows is to read one topic in one window whilst the others load.

The problem is, after a window loads, it immediately pops itself to the fore of my desktop, even though I might be writing a reply or scrolling through an active window. I might even be viewing my email in Outlook and a just loaded IE window pops up over the top of everything else. It can be extremely frustrating.

Anyone else have this problem and knows how to fix it?

BTW, I am running Internet Explorer 6.02 on Windows XP Pro 5.1 Service Pack 2.

Edited by Jai Dee

Understand the problem. Had a quick look through the settings and the registry but nothing blindingly obvious jumps out.

You can set the focus back on the previous window quickly by pressing [ALT]+[TAB] though...

Understand the problem. Had a quick look through the settings and the registry but nothing blindingly obvious jumps out.

You can set the focus back on the previous window quickly by pressing [ALT]+[TAB] though...

Thanks Insight, but it is really frustrating when you're replying in an email or a TV window and a new window pops up over the active one and you've lost part of what you've written.

Any other ideas?

Edited by Jai Dee

Yeah I hate that too.

Must be a setting somewhere ... myabe someone will enlighten us.

When I get a YIM (Yahoo Instant Message) , a light blinks on and off on the Start bar down below and I can get to it when I please. It does not interfere with other things. So I can multitask when talking to someone via YIM.

This was one of my pet hates with IE as well. I eliminated the problem by using FireFox with tabbed browsing.

I surf TV in exactly the same way, often having 10 or more tabs open. In FF you can control how the new tabs are created.

This was one of my pet hates with IE as well. I eliminated the problem by using FireFox with tabbed browsing.

I surf TV in exactly the same way, often having 10 or more tabs open. In FF you can control how the new tabs are created.

Gotta agree - ditch IE and go for FireFox - a great browser, muck better than IE and more secure to boot.

firefox is ok, but chews up RAM. Also you need to go find all kinds of extensions for it to set it up how you like it (such as the highlight buton).

Maxthon is much more complete. Tabbed browsing means that you open lots of windows in one instance of maxthon, and click the tabs at the top to switch between screens - exactly as the op wants. There is a handy button at the bottom that allows all links to open in new tabs, or to use whatever tab you are on for the new page. E.g. you can open the front page of a newspaper and anything you click on will open on a tab behind the one you are viewing, and not jump to the front. Firefox tabbed browsing is the same (minus the handy button). The advantage with maxthon is that it uses IE as it's base and so all your favourites go into the favourits folder, unlike FF which has it's own bookmarks and needs a special extension to syncronise the bookmarks and favourites. All your regular IE settings prevail, and are changed in the same place, but there are also added security settings, great pop up stopper, and Flash ad controller + lots more.

http://www.maxthon.com/

It doesn't do much that FF won't, but is easier to use, and IE only sites open in it fine (such as trend online virus scan)

firefox is ok, but chews up RAM. Also you need to go find all kinds of extensions for it to set it up how you like it (such as the highlight buton).

Maxthon is much more complete. Tabbed browsing means that you open lots of windows in one instance of maxthon, and click the tabs at the top to switch between screens - exactly as the op wants. There is a handy button at the bottom that allows all links to open in new tabs, or to use whatever tab you are on for the new page. E.g. you can open the front page of a newspaper and anything you click on will open on a tab behind the one you are viewing, and not jump to the front. Firefox tabbed browsing is the same (minus the handy button). The advantage with maxthon is that it uses IE as it's base and so all your favourites go into the favourits folder, unlike FF which has it's own bookmarks and needs a special extension to syncronise the bookmarks and favourites. All your regular IE settings prevail, and are changed in the same place, but there are also added security settings, great pop up stopper, and Flash ad controller + lots more.

http://www.maxthon.com/

It doesn't do much that FF won't, but is easier to use, and IE only sites open in it fine (such as trend online virus scan)

OK, I'm not going to start a Firefox vs. Maxthon war :o , but I think Firefox does everything you want, and more. I haven't used Maxthon much, so can't compare it to Firefox but I will say what I can in Firefox's defence against the post from Pandit35 :D

I run my Firefox on a WinXP SP2 laptop with only 256 MB RAM. I concurrently run Outlook Express and a graphics program at the same time - Paint or Compupic - as well as antivirus, trojan hunter, firewall, antispyware... with no RAM problems :D .

Obviously Tabbed browsing is the number one feature of Firefox and Maxthon that sets them apart from IE. I have my tabbed browsing preferences set up so that any link I click on opens in a tab in the background. Even when I'm reading my email, I can click on a link and it will be loaded into Firefox while I continue to read my emails. When I want to see what the link was all about, I switch to Firefox and click on the tab that has been created and read the page.

Regarding links, you can do this:

links7xb.jpg

- basically anything you want! Open them all in tabs, in windows, open all the images - it'll even open "text" links, i.e. web addresses that are not HTML links.

And if you like to search the web while you're reading, you'll love this extension. It's called "Conquery" and it's described as a "context sensitive webquery extension". Basically, you select some text and then give it to Google, or a translation web site, a dictionary site, to yahoo, Amazon, eBay etc... to whoever you want:

conquer3lb.jpg

This one is rapidly becoming my favourite - after the Ad-blocker and Spelling checker - because it is so easy to add more and more search engines to the list.

As for Maxthon.... I wish I had the time to try it and compare it to Firefox. Maybe I'll have to if pandit35 comes back with a retort! :D

RDN, you definately should try Maxthon to see how good it is.

I have used both browsers, and am fully agree with pandit35. I think that Maxthon is a winner in all categories at least for now.

When you try, you will see for yourself.

RDN, you definitely should try Maxthon to see how good it is.

I have used both browsers, and am fully agree with pandit35. I think that Maxthon is a winner in all categories at least for now.

When you try, you will see for yourself.

Hi Condo_bk, nice to see you back again. Yes, I think I must try it again, just so I can argue for or against Firefox from a point of knowledge! :o

But can Maxthon do everything that Firefox can? Can you get the extra functionality like the extensions to Firefox?

My Firefox can do all this stuff, can Maxthon? :

Adblock - permanently remove any item from a web page

Allow Right Click - defeats the "right click not allowed' on some web sites

BBCode, BBCode extra - extra BB codes

Bookmarks Home - makes a start-up page out of your bookmarks

Compact Menu - puts the menu bar in a single button on the toolbar

Conquery - see my previous post - allows passing any text to any other search engine or web site

Copy Plain Text - allows copying without formatting

CuteMenus - adds pretty icons to menus (aaah!)

Download Manager Tweak - allows configuration of downloads

DownThemAll - allows all images and/or links with images to be downloaded from a website

GMail Notifier - tells you when you have new mail

Image Zoom - allows images to be zoomed in or out

Linky - allows any or all links or images to be opened or downloaded, even text links

Mouse Gestures - allows all sorts of functions to be done using the mouse, e.g.. drag mouse up = increase font size, drag down = decrease, etc, etc

Ook - Adds bookmarks to the context (right click) menu

Prefbuttons - adds popular menu buttons to the toolbar

Reload Every - configures automatic reloading of web pages

Session Saver - saves what you're doing so Firefox starts up with the same pages next time, or any pages you define

Spellbound - spelling checker with dictionaries

Tabbrowser Extensions, Tabbrowser Preferences - everything you could possibly want to do with tabs

Toolbar Enhancements - adds various buttons and increases toolbar configurability

User Agent Switcher - can pretend to be IE, Netscape or Opera

I know it's a long list, but I would really like to know if all this is built in to Maxthon, or is it available as "extensions" like it is with Firefox.

And for anybody using Firefox - I recommend all the above extensions!

:D:D no, Maxthon does not do all that. But does most of it. And I have never looked around for extra maxthon features, nor even tried all the options in advanced. It does have a very handy button for choosing opening links in fore/background without having to go through the menus.

I had a lot of little gripes with ff, such as not having drag and drop for the various components of the toolbars like IE and Maxthon do.

I finally had to conceed to RDN's impressive and thorough arguements :o (elsewhere) that ff can do all the things I griped that it couldn't. And the extensions you can DL for it are impressive in scope. For a real browser junkie FF has to come out on top every time.

although.... there are a few things Max does that ff cannot, such as open the trend online virus scan engine....

But anyway, Maxthon is nice and familiar as it is very like IE, and you don't need to DL extensions to set it up how you like it. So it's probably easier for the OP who is not a computer expert. He won't have to go finding extensions for things like the highlight button, or advanced search engine options.

But anyway, we are all agreed that both Maxthon and Firefox blow the old IE out of the water... for most people there is not a lot to choose between ff and Max.. and I don't think anyone would go back to IE once they try the alternatives.

But anyway, Maxthon is nice and familiar as it is very like IE, and you don't need to DL extensions to set it up how you like it. So it's probably easier for the OP who is not a computer expert. He won't have to go finding extensions for things like the highlight button, or advanced search engine options.

Thanks for all the great replies guys. :o

It sounds like Maxthon is the go, I'm downloading it now.

Thanks all.

:D

Thanks for all the great replies guys. :o

It sounds like Maxthon is the go, I'm downloading it now.

Thanks all.

:D

I downloaded it last night and started to play - but I hope I can find an easy way to export my Firefox "bookmarks" and import them as favourites into Maxthon as the favourites that Maxthon uses are the same as the IE favourites - and they haven't been updated since I started using Firefox.

So, once I get the favourites sorted, I'll use Maxthon exclusively and report back what I think. But it does look nice and I like the way it displays favourites - if there are too many to fit on the screen, it generates another column - you don't have to go to the top or bottom of thescreen and scroll - very neat.

I like to have multiple windows open when logged onto the Internet and accessing Thai Visa in particular.

The problem is, after a window loads, it immediately pops itself to the fore of my desktop, even though I might be writing a reply or scrolling through an active window.  I might even be viewing my email in Outlook and a just loaded IE window pops up over the top of everything else.  It can be extremely frustrating.

Anyone else have this problem and knows how to fix it?

BTW, I am running Internet Explorer 6.02 on Windows XP Pro 5.1 Service Pack 2.

I am doing the same and don't have that problem. When a page completes XP show a flashing button on the bar, it is not popping up over the one i am reading or using at that time. Strange that 2 similar systems act so different. I suspect a registry entry :o