Thai Visa Regular 'yeti' Passed Away 22/09/2009

Abandon

Many French families have family tombs/vaults where they

will all end up 'together'. I'm sure his parents will want to perform

their duties as good catholics and give their son

the rite of passage that they feel is the way they need to

grieve and seek closure, and to give the rest of

their family a focus for them to show their grief and love to him and them and each other.

So sad for the wife too, I can't imagine all their grief.

RIP

David

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously some unease re hospital costs/care ... just run the daily figure for ICU again through us: it was circa Baht 80,000 - Baht 120,000 - and Christophe was in ICU for how long - couple of months?

At current exchange rates thats not far off Western European hospital rates

If I recall correctly this is not the first time this hospitals' care and costs have come into discussion on the forum

Guys for what it worth - government hospitals may not have the flashiest/brightest rooms, they may not have sat TV and ex-pat menu's, they may not have the "presentation", but rest assured they are staffed by doctors and nurses who work on very small salaries, who are very dedicated and the care/treatment provided (and in ICU - I speak from personal experience) is up there with the private hospitals - at a fraction, a fraction of the costs of the private hospitals.

If you need treatment, your insurnace has lots of "fine print" limits, and are concerned costs are going to take the shirt off your back - don't discount State hospitals.

.... talking about Catholic cemetries in Thailand: you guys know what happened to South East Asia's (not only Thailand's but of the whole regions oldest and largest) Catholic cemetries (located just off Silom)? The Catholic Church in Thailand sold it off for commerical redevelopment and have given relatives a specified time frame in which they have to move deceaseds remains - and if I am not mistaken, that time frame is now well up (some years ago).

Food for thought......................

I felt physically ill reading the account in the OP if the events.

I have talked to Yeti over the forum and other online-ways, but did never meet him in person. I have nothing bad to say about him, always a decent bloke. Being in the same age as me and in other situations similar at large his event struck me hard and unexpected.

RIP Yeti.

And good that some of TVs more objectionable members are staying away.

If anything should teach us the petty pointlessness of some of the bickering that goes on on a daily basis on this forum, it's a cruel story like this.

Save your point scoring for another day caf.

RIP Christophe.

Life is indeed a cruel bastard.

some friends of Yeti, who heard of his passing away have expressed their condolences and have requested I post the following message for his family:

I read with sadness the thread on Yeti passing away. We would like to post our condolences and a short message to wish the family well.

Fletch and Fletchsmile

Mrs. Yeti - if you read this, I think that is testament of how well your husband was liked. Fletch and Fletchsmile are not members on the forum anymore, but expressed the desire to post here just so they can share their thoughts with you and wish you and your family the best.

regards, and condolences from me too. I sincerely wish you lots of strength.

• 2 weeks later...
Our good friend Yeti - who has posted on Thai Visa for a number of years passed away today, Sept 22nd 2009.

He was 32 years old, and leaves behind a Thai wife and two kids : Girl of 14 months and a boy of just a few weeks. He saw his new born son only once, and was not allowed to touch him.

Yeti, Christophe Bilhaut, called in at hospital with a skin rach and a slight fever about 2 months ago. He was kept over night and by the next morning was in the ICU. He was on the brink of dying for 5 days, when he started to stabilize slightly. He was not conscious for the 5 days, but I saw him on the sixth and there was a slight reaction to speech. His parents had already flown in to be with him, and they kept him in Samitvej hospital throughout.

The diagnois was battered around for several days, but in the end they siad it was type A flu virus, but not swine flu, which is a later and slightly more potent version of its predecessor. Its possible it was h1n1 and they did not want to panic the staff.

The virus was gone pretty quick but Yetis body had filled with water, and with bacterial infections all over. His brain was relatively untouched.

A few days later he spiralled down and Drs said he would not last the night. He did last, and slowly, inch by inch clawed his way back into contention amongst the living. All his organs had shut down, espcially lungs (filled with fluid), kidneys, liver, intestines. He was conscious, and could nod or shake his head. He indicated (after many many yes/no questions) he wanted ice cubes, and his fingers hurt. He also wanted his legs moving around as he was too weak even to raise a hand.

He got ever so slowly better, but in the ICU throughout. After 3 weeks in the ICU his breathing pipe was removed, and a day or two after that he could speak again. He did not remember anything before the point where he could speak, though he was very clearly conscious for most of the time.

Once his 'self' had returned so did the panic, and his heart rate shot back up into the 130-140 range. After 1 month he got out of the ICU for a couple of days, only to return following breathing problems connected with the Dialysis. Another week and he got out of the ICU and had just started on weak soup and banana (He was still fed milk through a nasal feeding tube - and he said he was always a bit sick when he took milk).

When they removed the dialysis pipes, for no apparant reason, he spiralled into shock. Back in the ICU he was jerking around violently throughout the night. Despite the 80 000 - 120 000 baht PER NIGHT charge, the Doctor was not there - the nurses treated him with the Doctor on the phone (?!?!?!) I was there at that time.

A day later and he was 'brain-dead' which means legally he had died. It was not just a deep coma. The Drs told me he would not recover, but they maintained his body for 2 more weeks while the family adjusted. He finally passed at 4 pm today.

Yeti was always utterly polite, even behind the anonyimity of the internet. A lovely guy, with very few friends or social activities, he was more than happy to stay home with his wife and daughter. He posted on TV fairly often, mostly in the computing forum. I met him in person via TV.

His parents, both in their early 80s are lumbered with the bulk of the bill, which will run into many millions of baht, even with some insurance for some of the treatments. His wife has no trade, and two babies in tow. They only recently bought a condo, so its unlikely she'll be able to keep that. The flu virus cleared after a few days, so it was the ensuing complications that brought about the problems. In fact, the Drs and everyone is agreed that there is no real medical reason for this kind of reaction to the flu in the first case, or the sudden final spiralling in the latter stages.

His parents as strong Catholics have insisted on taking the body back to France for a Christian burial. Which seems a bit harsh on Mrs Yeti, but then the whole story is harsh.

Be careful you have good health insurance! Yeti was 'insured' but the fine print shows it covers some treatments and not others, with caps on payouts.

my deepest sympathy to the remaining family members too....

i have a rather insensitive question to ask though....

how is it possible to have yeti back to france?

doesn't the mrs have anything to say on this issue?

does she have an adequate representation?

pls pardon me for asking the above questions....

how is she with his two children going to feed themselves henceforth....?

does she have to beg or worse.... now that her hubbie is gone....>

Very sorry to hear ... may he RIP.

Something doesn't sound right in the medical treatment. A healthy system just doesn't go through those kinds of radical state changes without something being very wrong internally, or misdiagnosis and incorrect medicating. It's a frightful scenario.

As far as passing the hat, Mat & I would be willing to make a contribution.

Our good friend Yeti - who has posted on Thai Visa for a number of years passed away today, Sept 22nd 2009.

--------------

abandon

could you possibly tell us more about the surviving family members, wife and two very young children?

are they well taken care of and provided for either by the deceased or family of deceased or insurance proceeds?

yeti's immediate family members, particularly his surviving wife, do not have to be left for some temples to take care of them or left on some side streets forgotten and all.... ?

it is difficult enough to be without a loving and providing husband, not to mention the two young children in the family.....

just want to join the above op in offering some tangibles, other than words of sorrow...., to her and her children who might or might not be in need of any assistance from any of us.....

pls post and let us know more specificities.....

thx much abandon

Edited by nakachalet

My name is Florence and I am the sister of Christophe Bilhaut, also known as Yeti.

I want to thank you for your messages of sympathy.

Christophe was the youngest in a family of 4 children, and our pain is immense. Our only consolation is that his wife generously accepted that we could bring Christophe back to France for a catholic burial. This took place on September 30th, in the presence of his family and French friends.

He has left behind him his thai wife and two children, 16 month-old Elisa and 1 month-old Matheo

Your message deeply touched us and confirmed that Christophe was liked and appreciated by those who knew him.

In answer to some enquiries, Christophe loved life and never imagined that an illness would take him away... He therefore never took out any life insurance to cover his family's needs in the event of his death. However my parents will continue helping his wife and children, and many people have made donations to help his family financially. We have therefore decided to open a bank account to deposit these funds, which will then be totally reversed to his wife and children as a monthly allowance, to enable his children to benefit from the education Christophe would have wished for them. Please PM me if you wish to contact me for any further information :

I wish to thank you for all the support you have given us

Yours sincerely;

Florence Bilhaut

bilhaut

to post what you want others to read....

1--click on the quote box appearing at the lower right hand corner of each post.... see it?

2--after having clicked on the quote box which will make that particular post appears on a new page,

3--also click on the box that says reply....

4--a few seconds later, a new page will appear.... with the blinking cursor

5--reposition the cursor to the next line or so--where you want to start typing your message....

6--go ahead and type your message.....

7--after finishing up your message, scroll down to the bottom where it says.... add reply.... click on the box to send your typed message and

it will be delivered to the center where your messages are processed.... and then it will reappear as your own message in your own new

boxs on a new page....

SIMPLE..... ISN'T IT..... lol

good luck

<no, no one taught me how to do this, but after a while of frustration, barriers are successfully crossed..... lol

Edited by nakachalet

My name is Florence and I am the sister of Christophe Bilhaut, also known as Yeti.

I want to thank you for your messages of sympathy.

Christophe was the youngest in a family of 4 children, and our pain is immense. Our only consolation is that his wife generously accepted that we could bring Christophe back to France for a catholic burial. This took place on September 30th, in the presence of his family and French friends.

He has left behind him his thai wife and two children, 16 month-old Elisa and 1 month-old Matheo.

Your message deeply touched us and confirmed that Christophe was liked and appreciated by those who knew him.

In answer to some enquiries, Christophe loved life and never imagined that an illness would take him away... He therefore never took out any life insurance to cover his family's needs in the event of his death. However my parents will continue helping his wife and children, and many people have made donations to help his family financially. We have therefore decided to open a bank account to deposit these funds, which will then be totally reversed to his wife and children as a monthly allowance, to enable his children to benefit from the education Christophe would have wished for them. I should give you later the number of account bank for people wishes.

I wish to thank you for all the support you have given us

Yours sincerely;

Florence Bilhaut