Alcohol Shakedown

george

Alcohol shakedown

BANGKOK: -- A group of antialcohol activists yesterday pushed for stricter measures to control the sale of "alcohol shakes", which are popular among teenagers.

Launching their campaign to mark National Youth Day (Sunday), the group - led by the Child Can Change foundaฌtion - asked Deputy Prime Minister Sanan Kachornprasart to clamp down on unregulated alcohol stalls.

Foundation manager Khamron Choodecha said 21 per cent of 1,000 college stuฌdents surveyed said their first taste of alcohol was from an alcohol shake.

Sanan promised to look into the matter.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-09-22

Foundation manager Khamron Choodecha said 21 per cent of 1,000 college stuฌdents surveyed said their first taste of alcohol was from an alcohol shake.

Even if true, so what? Drinking age is 18, college students are old enough to drink.

Even if true, so what? Drinking age is 18, college students are old enough to drink.

and now what, these activist go and cerebrate by getting drunk

ever imaginated a world WITHOUT activist?

for sure you wouldnt be here.

Ever seen the rampant distruction in Isaan due to alcohol abuse?

O yeah drink wisely......

Nice if you have a job or a steady income or a future to look forward to.

But if your dont have that prospect? what then.....O yeah drink wisely!!!

CHEERS

and now what, these activist go and cerebrate by getting drunk

I thought it was 20. Did it change?

Interesting at how all these anti-alcohol campaigns are aimed at nicey nicey drinks and student drinking and middle class drinking but dont ever take into account the alcohol abuse over lao khao and definitely dont ever head into the realms of actually educating people (across the social bands) about the health problems associted with alcohol consumption. At the end of the day overage people can make their own decisions on whether to drink or how much to drink but it woukldnt hurt if a greater awareness of the damage alcohol can cause were known. I say that as a drinker myself

No - it is 20 to drink. At 18 you can work in a bar!

Drinking age is 18. Age to go in to a bar or club is 20. 18 year olds can buy booze at 7-11 but they can't legally go in to a bar

Oh for crying out loud, if someone said "Rain is wet" you all would fill up page after page with objections!

This group has a legitimite beef concerning unregulated alcohol stalls that sell alcoholic drinks to "teenagers". Last time I checked, "teenagers" includes those well below the legal drinking age and well below the age most parents would want their kids to begin drinking. Just because they surveyed university students doesn't mean they were IN university when they first tried these alcoholic shakes. This group, as far as I can see, has made no suggestion to limit YOUR access (unless you're a teen!) to your alcohol. If they have, start another thread on that.

Edited by FreedomDude

Interesting at how all these anti-alcohol campaigns are aimed at nicey nicey drinks and student drinking and middle class drinking but dont ever take into account the alcohol abuse over lao khao and definitely dont ever head into the realms of actually educating people (across the social bands) about the health problems associted with alcohol consumption. At the end of the day overage people can make their own decisions on whether to drink or how much to drink but it woukldnt hurt if a greater awareness of the damage alcohol can cause were known. I say that as a drinker myself

That explains your typos!

:)

This group has a legitimite beef concerning unregulated alcohol stalls that sell alcoholic drinks /.../

Isn't it ironic that you, with your username, is a proponent for regulations?

Just saying. :)

I'm not for regulating alcohol offered for purchase by adults. Perhaps "regulate" is the wrong word for kids. They should STOP these places from selling to kids.