Can You Open A Thai Bank Account From The Uk

kscotland

hey, is there any thai banks who would allow me to open up a thai bank account from the UK and transfer several thousand pounds into it? I would then use the account when i come to SE asia in a month or 2. The reason I am looking into this is because to fund my trip I am selling a "research chemical" online, which is in a legal grey area in the UK and I would rather open another bank account and transfer the money into it so the one I'm using for my business dosnt have loads of funds in it.

I would imagine i would have to pay a fee as a foreigner, wouldnt want it to be any more than a couple hundred quid.

anyone got any knowledge about this type of thing?

cheers

hey, is there any thai banks who would allow me to open up a thai bank account from the UK and transfer several thousand pounds into it? I would then use the account when i come to SE asia in a month or 2. The reason I am looking into this is because to fund my trip I am selling a "research chemical" online, which is in a legal grey area in the UK and I would rather open another bank account and transfer the money into it so the one I'm using for my business dosnt have loads of funds in it.

I would imagine i would have to pay a fee as a foreigner, wouldnt want it to be any more than a couple hundred quid.

cheers

No there is a lot of paperwork and signing that has to be done. :)

cheers

The simple answer is no, as with most things in Thailand when it comes to farangs, lots of signatures on forms, copies of passport, Work permit/visa etc etc.

If you want an account outside the UK, explore possiblities in either Singapore or Hong Kong, you can open accounts there on-line. The only limitation with this arrangement in Thailand is the THB 150/time for drawing cash on an overseas card, unless you use the "pink bank"

cheers

I think the answer to that is no! However there is only one Thai Bank in England, and that's Bangkok Bank, situated in the City Of London, Threadneadle Street I think, it may be worth a phone call to them. The other possibility, HSBC Bank has a branch in Bangkok, some of friend use that to transfer monies, they also have opened Sterling Accounts. May be some help.

cheers

I think the answer to that is no! However there is only one Thai Bank in England, and that's Bangkok Bank, situated in the City Of London, Threadneadle Street I think, it may be worth a phone call to them. The other possibility, HSBC Bank has a branch in Bangkok, some of friend use that to transfer monies, they also have opened Sterling Accounts. May be some help.

Bangkok Bank PCL London Branch

61 St. Mary Axe, London

EC3A 8 BY, United Kingdom

Tel: (44-207) 929-4422

Fax: (44-207) 283-3988

The simple answer is yes!

If you have an HSBC Premier account in the UK they can instruct the Bangkok branch to open an account (Sterling or Baht or both) in your name and you will be able to deposit funds into that account - forms must be filled and cards issued once you arrive in Thailand and that will take three working days before you can access the funds. No costs involved provided you have Premier status somewhere in the world. It's a great account for transferring funds from and to the UK because it's fast and there's no cost involved plus their ATM cards work everywhere in Thailand (and beyond).

Yes I'm sure!

Edited by chiang mai

I think there is an Isle of Mann bank that is "offshore".

"Research chemical", legal grey area.....herbal party pills I'm guessing. :) If my lead to an offshore bank assisted, I'll be happy to recieve a token of your appreciation.

Umm, all Isle of Man banks are offshore, to UK residents that is - conversely they are all onshore to Isle of Man residents.

If you have an HSBC Premier account in the UK they can instruct the Bangkok branch to open an account in your name and you will be able to deposit funds into that account - forms must be filled and cards issued once you arrive in Thailand and that will take three working days before you can access the funds.

Yes I'm sure!

But that is not a Thai bank account, It is a british account at a branch in another country.

If you have an HSBC Premier account in the UK they can instruct the Bangkok branch to open an account in your name and you will be able to deposit funds into that account - forms must be filled and cards issued once you arrive in Thailand and that will take three working days before you can access the funds.

Yes I'm sure!

Going to play semantics here, the OP was asking about Thai banks....HSBC is not a Thai Bank per se... :D

You could also do the same with a Citi "Premier" account as well...

Also the OP mendtioned moving serval thousand pounds, "several thousand pounds" would not put you in a postion to open either Citi or HSBC account of the "Premier" type... :)

Yes I'm sure!

But that is not a Thai bank account, It is a british account at a branch in another country.

Not really, it is a stand alone account, dont know the details with HSBC these days as I binned them for cr*p service years ago, but Citibank in Singapore will open another stand alone account for in Thailand for you if you wish, as part of their "premier" account services, the two accounts are not linked in anyway unless you request it...

Have you tried asking the Thai consulate or the UK chamber of commerce ?

Try the Internet. "Thailand Banks" on google will give you all the banks and their web address etc.

I have a Baht and a Sterling account with SCB in Thailand. I opened them here in Thailand. Took about one hour max,to do all the paperwork.

I transfer sterling on-line from my UK bank to sterling account in Thailand. Almost immediately funds are available in Thai sterling account to transfer to Baht account. By having Sterling account it reduces transfer charges UK to Baht and I can then choose best time (exchange rate) to change to Baht.

ALT

mallen :)

Try the Internet. "Thailand Banks" on google will give you all the banks and their web address etc.

I have a Baht and a Sterling account with SCB in Thailand. I opened them here in Thailand. Took about one hour max,to do all the paperwork.

I transfer sterling on-line from my UK bank to sterling account in Thailand. Almost immediately funds are available in Thai sterling account to transfer to Baht account. By having Sterling account it reduces transfer charges UK to Baht and I can then choose best time (exchange rate) to change to Baht.

ALT

Mallen..the OP is trying to open an account from the UK, not in Thailand..

Yes I'm sure!

No, that is a Thai bank account with an overseas bank that operates in Thailand - the fact that the account will accept Baht, Sterling, USD or a range of other currencies is neither here nor there, as is the fact that the bank is head quartered in the UK. I use an HSBC Thailand bank account for my everyday ATM usage here in Thailand and for many of my overseas transactions.

ALT

Same scenario with SCB as in the case of HSBC described earlier, both work well.

Yes I'm sure!

Going to play semantics here, the OP was asking about Thai banks....HSBC is not a Thai Bank per se... :D

You could also do the same with a Citi "Premier" account as well...

Also the OP mendtioned moving serval thousand pounds, "several thousand pounds" would not put you in a postion to open either Citi or HSBC account of the "Premier" type... :D

If you can play semantics so can I :)

HSBC is licensed to operate in Thailand and is governed by BOT regulations - in every respect it is a Thai bank except in its ownership.

Also, it wasn't clear (because it wasn't stated) that the owner did or did not have an existing HSBC account in the UK (which is quite common because it's a very popular bank) and/or whether the (potentially) existing account was of the Premier class. :D

But as another poster has already stated, SCB is yet another choice of a foriegn bank that operates in Thailand. I like to use HSBC because the service levels are closer to what I expect than at a Thai bank and HSBC represents a financially secure financial group hence little risk involved. Also, if I have problems with a particular transaction or response from Bangkok I can escalate matters to my UK or Hong Kong branch, always with positive results.

Do you need a work permit (or be expecting to get one) to open a Thai bank account?

I ask because when I go somewhere and they ask where I am from I show my Bangkok cash card and I get to pay local rates instead of farang rates to gain admission.

Do you need a work permit (or be expecting to get one) to open a Thai bank account?

No, not necessary, anyone can open an account.

I ask because when I go somewhere and they ask where I am from I show my Bangkok cash card and I get to pay local rates instead of farang rates to gain admission.

Oh really!! Sorry my friend but as a general rule that's highly improbable - you may well have got very lucky and found one or two establishments throughout the country where that approach will work but not more. Even if I produce a five year Thai drivers license and speak in Thai I still get charged the farang rate for everything, everywhere in the country.

Edited by chiang mai

ALT

Mallen..the OP is trying to open an account from the UK, not in Thailand..

Sigh. Yes Scoutpeel. Thanks for that comment.I knew I should of elaborated more on my post. My fault.

I did get that kscotland wanted to open a Thai account from the UK. That is why I advised in my first paragraph some avenue's to pursue for information. i.e. Asking directly to Thai banks via the Internet if he could open an account from the UK. Also as kscotland said in his first post he has a business then also the UK chamber of commerce maybe able to help.

The reason I put my experience of opening a bank account here in Thailand was to show that it is an easy and quick process. Reading yours and Strickens posts they gave the impression that it was difficult with loads of paperwork to do. That was not my experience. Very easy actually.

So if kscotland finds it impossible to open an account in Thailand from the UK he could consider the option of waiting until he comes to Thailand and then opening an account here.

Hope that is more illuminating.

ALT

Mallen.

Oh really!! Sorry my friend but as a general rule that's highly improbable - you may well have got very lucky and found one or two establishments throughout the country where that approach will work but not more. Even if I produce a five year Thai drivers license and speak in Thai I still get charged the farang rate for everything, everywhere in the country.

I'm surprised at that changmai, Whether we go to a national park , zoo, or even a boxing stadium my wife shows them my thai driving licence and talks a bit and I always get in for the thai price.

Some friends use their driving licences and some their work permits all with the same results.

Dont take this the wrong way mate but maybe its your attitude or what you say to them?????

HL :)

Unfortunately most of the banks don't know that and will ask for a WP (except Kasikorn usually)

Then you've been very very unlucky 'cos EVERYWHERE I've been in Thailand acccept a Thai driver licence for Thai price admission, even a 1 year licence.

Thats been my experience also generally.

However, last month I went with the wife and kids to the Crocodile farm in Samut Prakan, and they made me pay the Thai price even after seeing my 5 year driving license and the missus explaining I've lived and worked in Thailand for nearly 10 years.

Unfortunately most of the banks don't know that and will ask for a WP (except Kasikorn usually)

Then you've been very very unlucky 'cos EVERYWHERE I've been in Thailand acccept a Thai driver licence for Thai price admission, even a 1 year licence.

Admittedly I haven't tried to open a new bank account for a while but I opened six or seven since I've been here and never once have I been asked for a work permit - this has been true in Chiang Mai, Bangkok and Phuket. But I do have a retirement visa and the bank has always asked to see that. Judging from other recent threads on this topic the ability to open a bank account does vary from branch to branch although individual bank policies seem to be that farangs, even tourists, can open bank accounts with any bank, regardless of visa type.

I agree that it is possible for a farang to get the Thai rate for an attraction using a Thai drivers license, but certainly not using a Bangkok Bank cash card (almost certainly this must be the case). But like bank accounts above this varies from attraction to attraction and the people involved. I haven't tried to get the Thai rate on anything for a while and I think the last time was at the Royal Palace in Bangkok about one year ago - even with a Thai drivers license my request was refused. Prior to that it was at national parks in CM where there was not even a chance of getting the discount. I don't know whether this is a case of me being unlucky or you being very lucky.

I must admit both times I was asked where I was from and I said 'Bangkok'. They asked if I had ID (didn't use the word ID) and I showed my bank card (doesn't even have my name on) and it was ok. Tried to show my apartment swipe card but they said no!

People here also use their word ID card to get local rates apparently but then people do talk a lot of sh1t in Bangkok so I'm not sure that is true.

I have an account with Siam com. , Bangkok bank, and TMB bank and all of them with no work permit and no problems.

But they are all savings accounts.

If I wanted to open a current account with a credit card etc then I would need to show a work permit with a minimum earnings of ??? amount.

Is it this different type of account that is confusing everybody???????

HL :)