October Break

Scott

I am interested to know how much time off most foreign teachers get for October. We used to get pretty much the entire month. Each year it's been whittled down to where we now get less than 2 weeks.

How about the rest of you? Also, any exciting plans?

Back when I was teaching it used to be 3 weeks. Now I hear that most of my old mates will only get 2 weeks off and during that time they may have to take part in English camps and activities for the school. My brother-in-law runs a teaching agency and I see that most of his teachers will be getting 2 weeks off, without pay :)

If no students fail, today, September 25th until first day back, October 26th..

If any incomplete or zero scores, stay and and give make up exams, assignments, etc. until all pass, no later than October 6th..

In one of those "no-fail" systems too, huh? :)

If any incomplete or zero scores, stay and and give make up exams, assignments, etc. until all pass, no later than October 6th..

This is something I now refuse to do. Most of my colleagues agree with me but they are Thai & are stuck in the Thai system (if one can call it a system).

This is something I now refuse to do. Most of my colleagues agree with me but they are Thai & are stuck in the Thai system (if one can call it a system).

Which or both? do you now "refuse to do"? Giving zero/incomplete grades and/or staying an extra week and a half to enhance and improve their points?

Sorry about that...too much Archa :)

I refuse to perform any re-testing.

I was told the student has a "right" to request a re-test and that it was part of a teachers duty to not only grant said request but to do so with open arms and understand that some students who skip multiple classes and as a result get low/failing scores are not to be considered the culprit, rather, they are victims of the situation.

A welcome break in October but just over 2 weeks this year. :)

As an aside, I've been approached to privately tutor some individual students during the upcoming break and I would be very interested to find out how much you guys would charge per hour in the CM area before I make a decision?

I hope I don't get slated like the other guy who asked about private tutoring and got the whole work permit thing shoved down his throat. :D

I am aware of the legalities. Just want to see if it's financially worthwhile or not.

Thanks and enjoy your holidays guys. :D

MF

Edited by MagnumForce

I'm a little mystified at some of these long holidays, do you guys have two terms of 20 weeks, or are they a little shorter?

Some of the people including myself aren't posting the actual holiday. In some schools the foreigner isn't required or forced to sign in(and perhaps even stay on campus) after he/she is done. This would in essence cause us to say we have the break inclusive of these days. As for the 20 weeks, I don't think most foreigners are doing lesson plans with that in mind. So many unannounced events make it impossible.

While working at a Government school I had from about Oct 5th to Nov 2nd off, paid. In fact I had about 2.5 months of paid vacation total. I was free to travel home as well.

Don't know why many people think private schools are better. I taught less hours, had to be at the school for less hours, taught less kids, didn't roam and had paid vacation. I was making about 6k.month less than the local private schools offered.

For a few years at a proprietary school had most of October off with pay but then saw that reduced to about three weeks. April off with pay along with the first two or so weeks of May. Also spent time at a government school where vacations were without pay.

With a Thai partner opened an after hours and weekends school which I did full time so I worked like a dog, during vacations especially.

However here in PRChina it's either feast or famine.

My first teaching position in the PRC was at a proprietary language school where we taught 6 days a week to include mornings, a long lunch and nap time, afternoons from 2:30 and into the evenings sometimes until as late as 9:30 pm which I'm not sure Marx or Engles had in mind as their workers' paradise :) . Three weeks paid vacation interspersed throughout the year but not during January which everyone has off but without pay. (No medical anywhere or at all in PRChina, for anyone.)

Presently in the PRC I'm at a propretary university which is the opposite of the language school. Now at the uni I seem to have more time off with pay than time doing prep and being in the classroom. (The school year in the PRC runs the same months as in the West, Sept to June.) Last year I had Fridays off with pay each week (but this year am enslaved back into the five day week). Pay and accommodations are more than good and have vacations with pay during January and February, July and August.

At the moment PRChina is having an 8 day break, Oct 1-8 for its 60th national day which this year also runs into the mid-autmn festival holiday, with pay. :D

Well, thanks but I don't mean to try to make anyone feel envious. I consider I've earned what I have but there are downsides.

For example, immediately after this Oct 1-8 break we have to make up a few "lost" days on some days that we otherwise have off. We return to classes on Friday the 9th and have to do the Thursday schedule the next day, on Sat the 10th (Thursdays this year I have one class so the rescheduling is a pain and a bother but... :D ), then we have Sunday off but folowed by a full week of classes :D . It's feast or famine in PRChina in varied respects.

Actually, these people have so many holidays and long breaks when the country shuts down that I begin to comprehend why the Chinese are required to slave labor a 6-day week when they do work. They lose so much time to time off that the 6-day week becomes a necessity. I mean the whole country shuts down for the Chinese New Year/Spring Festival from mid Jan to mid Feb :) . When they are at the job, each day working stiffs blue collar and white collar alike are given the day's must do's and must stay until the must do's are done, which often means till 8pm or on a good day 7pm, no overtime or comp time. :D

The PRChinese talk all the time about Marx and Engles but I'm sure each is spinning in his grave.

(I constantly ask what two mid-19th century Europeans have to do with China then or now but all I get is a blink as people here just aren't prepped to answer such a question :D .)

Edited by Publicus

Thanks Publicus, we can feel a little less envious. I am not unfamiliar with China--at least many years ago. (Not as a teacher). They can be quite demanding in their expectations.

It's nice to compare and contrast working conditions. I've worked in active war zones. That was easier than trying to get anywhere during Chinese New Year!

Thanks.