October Break

Scott

Thanks Publicus, we can feel a little less envious. I am not unfamiliar with China--at least many years ago. (Not as a teacher). They can be quite demanding in their expectations.

It's nice to compare and contrast working conditions. I've worked in active war zones. That was easier than trying to get anywhere during Chinese New Year!

Thanks.

:)

We get 8 weeks of holiday time annually, not including public holidays. They are divided as follows: 2 weeks in October, 1 week over Christmas/New Year, 5 weeks for summer. The summer break is actually 6 weeks. This is extra time given to make up for the public holidays occur in the break periods.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

AS a parent, I am once again disappointed in the total lack of consideration and disregard to teachers and students alike.

Prior to breaking up for the recent break, I enquired about the finishing date and if any extra days would be needed for re test ect.

I was assured that M4,5,6 did not do re tests and so we could arrrange for a planned trip for my wife and daughter to visit family.

We booked tickets and they then sent a letter home saying a camp had been arranged and all staff and pupils must attend.

This was for 5,6,7th of this month and we where told we could not be excused.

Then arranged for the 9th, only for our daughter to come home on the 6th and say the school had decided her class, M4, had to atttend for retest on the 12-10-09 with no exceptions.

We tried to get them to check if she had failed any test and if so, could she take them the day after the camp (9th ). NO she cannot. !!!

Her teacher was really upset by this and said they had only just been informed by the head sister about the re tests and although she tried to help, the h. sister again said No.

My daughter went with her mother to check the results and sit any possible retests.

Would you believe it, she had passed all the tests and did not need to resit for anything and they left straight after getting the results.

W T hel_l is up with those who run the school and it,s administrators ???

We have complained several times about things like this, only to be told if we did not like it...we could leave the school !!!!

My wife said on the 12th several other parents she spoke to had also raised their concerns about lack of consideration ect. and had been told the same as we were.

It is a private school and sadly there isn,t a suitable alternative to our liking in the area. ( we have done the rounds and sought advice from several teachers who we know ) but they say the other private school is a lot worse academically and the gov. schools are having lots of problems including massive overcrowding, as a consequence all students ( who can afford it ) have to pay for private tuition as the classes are to big to allow them to be taught properly.

I don,t really want to name the school.......................... buttttttttt sod it

It,s St. Mary,s in Udonthani

marshbags :):D

Edited by marshbags

I completely sympathize with you. We have the same problem. The teachers must stay for 2 weeks after the students are gone with virtually nothing to do. If I say anything to the Administrtion they start with all the things they 'should' do--so basically everything is the teachers' fault. Not much better for students, who get called to come in for mundane things, like re-taking all their tests, not because they failed, but because they were late/absent too much and are being punished.

Such is Thailand.

I completely sympathize with you. We have the same problem. The teachers must stay for 2 weeks after the students are gone with virtually nothing to do. If I say anything to the Administrtion they start with all the things they 'should' do--so basically everything is the teachers' fault. Not much better for students, who get called to come in for mundane things, like re-taking all their tests, not because they failed, but because they were late/absent too much and are being punished.

Such is Thailand.

I worked in Taiwan for over a year, 9 a.m. until 6:30 p.m. (teaching, not office hours, with minimal preparation time!), no work for me on weekends though. A couple of days as public holidays, six days off for Chinese new year (including a weekend of course), NO school holidays whatsoever for teachers or children, ever. We worked Christmas, new year, you name it. Worth it for the money only, but then after a year, I literally collapsed with exhaustion and spent 2 days virtually unconscious with a friend in Bangkok, fever, chronic fatigue. I would never do it again, it left me totally shattered and spent. I couldn't go anywhere near a school for a few months.

I try to remember this "work ethic" whenever I am upset that we only get 5 weeks off per year in Thailand. I really wish I was allowed to take some time off summer school as unpaid holiday though, after all these years. I feel very very tired.

The "funny" thing is, you cannot teach more in China or in Thailand than you can in an easy-going 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. school system in Europe. Both children and teachers just spread out the same finite amount of energy and concentration. You end up with the same achievements after a lot more energy and hours of input. Sometimes less is more.

"The "funny" thing is, you cannot teach more in China or in Thailand than you can in an easy-going 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. school system in Europe. Both children and teachers just spread out the same finite amount of energy and concentration. You end up with the same achievements after a lot more energy and hours of input. Sometimes less is more. "

Firefly, that is so very, very true. There is a point of diminishing returns and this is particularly true in the education arena.