Settlement Visa Online Or In Person?

Just about to start the process of acquiring a settlement visa for my thai wife.

there is an online application facility on vfs website which would be helpful as we dont live in bangkok.

Has anyone used this facility, does it speed things up or hinder the application in any way.

secondly we want to travel around the 10th November does this leave us enough time.

thirdly i noticed that the online application requires an itinerary. does this mean that we have to book tickets prior to hopefully receiving the visa?

lastly as we are settling in Uk is a one way ticket acceptable to VFS.

Edited by sagaris

There are more experienced people on the forum who will correct me if I am wrong - we have just been through the system!

You need to complete the form on-line. Print it out then take it, together with all supporting documents and the fee (bankers draft) to VFS in Bangkok - they will check it and send it to the British Embassy. They have always been very polite and helpful.

For settlement X-rays to check for TB will probably be required and this has to be done at an approved hospital.

As far as I know there is no way to do the whole thing on-line.

Settlement visas are taking approx 11 weeks and there seems little chance of speeding things up. My daughter has missed several weeks of school because of this delay - the Embassy did not seem interested.

If you wade through the VFS website the info is there - if you are not sure it is possibly worth getting help from an advisor preferably registered with the Office of the immigration services commisioner as this means they are regulated!

A single ticket makes sense if you are coming to settle so should not be a problem.

You must complete the online form and make a booking to attend at VFS for biometrics to be taken. Also she must have the TB clearance before applying. This can only be done at the two approved hospitals in Bangkok. Currently settlement visas are taking about 12 weeks to process so the chances of coming in November are slim unless you are very lucky indeed. Do not book tickets prior to the visa being issued as this is not a requirement and when you do so one way is perfectly OK as it is for settlement.

My daughter-in-law made an application on 19th August and got her visa today, after only 6 weeks! It was not a straightforward application because my son is on benefits and is partially disabled. So things seem to be speeding up.

They had to make the application on-line, then print it out and take it and all supporting documents to the Visa Application Centre in person.

Ask me if you would like to know any more detail.

To quote Orchid of Siam's signature:-

"One of our OISC registered advisers is a Thai national who also works as a translator for the Home Office, UKBA, Police and HM Customs & Revenue."

Is the UKBA aware that one of their interpreters is also an immigration advisor? Surely that's a conflict of interest?

I am in the north and I'm going to Bangkok to apply for a settlement visa for my stepson. I've been through the online form and it seems to be relatively straight forward. I got an email answer to a question from Regent house and at the end of the email they said visa fees are going to change on 5th of October. I dare say they aren't going down but I can't find what the new prices are on their website.

Dave

This ministerial statement published early in the year shows the new fees.

The increases were discussed here at the time.

Unfortunately, UKVisas and the UKBA only publish the current fees, and don't seem to publicise upcoming increases. Probably on the instructions of the government, who don't want people to find out about the exorbitant and unjustifiable increases and so bring their application forward to avoid the increase.