Mukdahan Crossing

longstebe

Having done the Nong Khai crossing a couple of times I have decided to try Mukdahan.

Any thoughts of where to go once inside Lao?

How much would it be to take a ride into Savannakhet?

I will be coming back on my multi O visa.

Any tips or info will be great.

In Savannakhet there are a few nice places along the river to sit and have a beer and something to eat - a short walk from the Thai Consulate. If you submit your application in the morning you can get your Non-I O the same afternoon or the next day, depending on your needs. Savannakhet is a funny town, a regular grid of large but empty streets. Some nice old colonial architecture, but all crumbling. There is a small dinosaur museum, also close to the consulate. In summary, I would say it has charm, but little else; it is certainly an easy place to spend an idle day.

I left my car in a hotel car park in Muk., then took a tuk-tuk to the bus station (60 bt) and bus to Sav. (50 bt., every hour on the half hour). The bus takes one hour, and leaves you a short tuk-tuk ride from the consulate.

The bridge is quite far (7km) out of town. There is a public ferry from the town centre, but only for Laos and Thai people.

In Muk. there is a nice little restaurant on the Mekong, with the word "Wine" featuring prominently in its name or sign. I'm sure the locals can give you more information.

Cheers,

Mike