Extending Or Revising Visa Within Thailand

Hi - I'm in Thailand on a 6 week tourist visa and would like to know whether I can extend or revise (to a new a visa category) without leaving the country.

I'm married to a Thai so believe I can get a Non-Imm O, but do I need to apply from outside Thailand for a revised visa?

What about simply extending my tourist visa, how many months can I extend it for and again, would I need to leave the country?

Thanks,

MP

Nationality - British / Age - 42

A six week tourist visa? Maybe 60 days? That can be extended in country for another 30 days at a cost of 1,900 baht.

If you have a legal marriage you can obtain and O visa at Penang or another consulate that will allow up to 90 day stay using marriage certificate and copy of her ID card.

If you have the resources (400k) in a bank here immigration could probably change your current tourist visa to and O type with the expectation that you will apply for and extension of stay but if you are not planning to stay here or do not have overseas income this may not be the best choice.

You can still cross the border for a new 30 day entry but that option may not always be available.

You can also obtain new tourist visa at an overseas consulate.

Thanks Lopburi, and right you are, it's a 60 day visa I have.

If applying from outside Thailand, is it not possible to get a 1 year O-type visa without putting funds into a Thai bank? Marriage is legit and we have been living in Britain for several years.

Some consulates will issue multi entry non immigrant O visa with a copy of your marriage certificate and id card of wife; but not all. Penang is normally the best choice in this region but most people have the best luck in there home country.