Pun Pun Restaurant

Ulysses G.

I've been hearing good things about the Pun Pun restaurant for some time, but it seems to be a little out of the way. I know that it is on the river somewhere. Can anyone make it easier to find? Is it near Sergio's Bulisimo at all?

I believe the Pun Pun veggie restaurant is located inside the grounds of Wat Umong on the Suthep Road. Its well hidden just behind the signed "Monk Chat". Its open air with terrible furniture but good, cheap food. I've just noticed that its UG who's posting who must surely know this restaurant so, perhaps there's another Pun Pun by the River which I'm not aware of.

Edited by Asmerom

Yes. Sorry I forgot about the vegetarian place with the same name.

The original Pun Pun was meant to be converting vegetarians long before Mike's Burgers opened. Some say the Pun Pun burger would be legendary, if anyone other that a few Hash House fellows had ever been able to find it.

Thanks everyone, but I'm looking for the meat eater's Pun Pun restaurant on the river, owned by a beloved poster on Thai Visa who does not seem to be up yet.

I've heard people talk about it for years, but I want to find it today.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Thanks everyone, but I'm looking for the meat eater's Pun Pun restaurant on the river, owned by a beloved poster on Thai Visa who does not seem to be up yet.

Same as Pun Pun GH ?? maybe

Head north up Ping River from Rimping Condo and its on left just before next bridge intersection. Next to a condo on the river - can never remember the name but it has a kind of spiky top.

I've been hearing good things about the Pun Pun restaurant for some time, but it seems to be a little out of the way. I know that it is on the river somewhere. Can anyone make it easier to find? Is it near Sergio's Bulisimo at all?

PAN PAN 1 is in Thapraya road Jomtien Pattaya

PAN PAN 2 is in soi 33 Sukumvit Bangkok

They also now have a sattellite in Central Plaza Pattaya.

It is indeed inside the grounds of Wat Suan Dok - I know I ate there last wekend!

The food is fantastic, and they have a very interesting menu as long as you can enjoy vegetarian food (of the best quality with fresh organic ingredients). I recommend the fried flowers salad - i'm a carnivore, but this was delicious! It's all pretty cheap with most dishes around 40 to 60 Baht.

The restaraunt is far from posh; there are simple wooden tables and chairs set in a horseshoe around a Banyan tree. There isn't even a Pun Pun sign on the outside - but it gets pretty busy. Note that there are no fans, although it is nice and shaded. I will definitely avoid the hottest afternoons.

To get there head up Suthep road from the moat; turn left into Wat Suan Dok; walk down the long(ish) straight driveway about 70 or 80 % of the way looking back and to your right. As you look back you will see nestled between the buildings the edge of the restaraunt.

Oh, I should mention it is closed on Wednesdays, on other days opens 10 or 11am (I'm not sure) and closes again by about 6pm.

I have nothing to do with the place, by the way. But, it's lovely food!

Please don't go on the cool afternoons clogging the place up when I want to get in! :)

Head north up Ping River from Rimping Condo and its on left just before next bridge intersection. Next to a condo on the river - can never remember the name but it has a kind of spiky top.

I knew guys who used to buy sandwiches from there and they looked pretty good. Just along from there is the Hollanda Montri guest house. They have a restaurant on the river. Has anyone tried this place? I knew a guy who used to go there for an after-work beer and the website makes the place look really nice - just wondered if it's a good place to go for food as well.

It is indeed inside the grounds of Wat Suan Dok - I know I ate there last wekend!

The food is fantastic, and they have a very interesting menu as long as you can enjoy vegetarian food (of the best quality with fresh organic ingredients). I recommend the fried flowers salad - i'm a carnivore, but this was delicious! It's all pretty cheap with most dishes around 40 to 60 Baht.

The restaraunt is far from posh; there are simple wooden tables and chairs set in a horseshoe around a Banyan tree. There isn't even a Pun Pun sign on the outside - but it gets pretty busy. Note that there are no fans, although it is nice and shaded. I will definitely avoid the hottest afternoons.

To get there head up Suthep road from the moat; turn left into Wat Suan Dok; walk down the long(ish) straight driveway about 70 or 80 % of the way looking back and to your right. As you look back you will see nestled between the buildings the edge of the restaraunt.

Oh, I should mention it is closed on Wednesdays, on other days opens 10 or 11am (I'm not sure) and closes again by about 6pm.

I have nothing to do with the place, by the way. But, it's lovely food!

Please don't go on the cool afternoons clogging the place up when I want to get in! :)

That is the big problem with Pun Pun; it is wedged in between two tall buildings in a horseshoe shape with no possibility of cross ventilation and it can be quite uncomfortable at times. I don't understand why they don't put up a couple of fans to blow the hot air through.

I am pretty sure that it is on Mondays they are closed, not Wednesdays.

The Pun Pun guest house/restaurant on the Ping river, owned by a TV member is not vegetarian nor inside the grounds of any Wat. Said establishment being a guest house is open 7 days a week unless the owner decides to close (have not seen this over the past few years) sally gave the correct directions in post no,7 They have several breakfast/ lunch/dinner groups who meet there weekly.

The name of the condo is Embassy Suites :)

Well if you will pardon the very explicit directions .

There may have been a Pun Pun something or other is in a a temple some where / someplace.

For those who need need directions such as GPS coordinates I don't have them amd I wouldn't bother to give then anyway cos is if you don't know where you are now how in he11 are you gonna know here you're want to get to.

Pun Pun Restaurant and Guest House has been in it's current location for more than ten years (so so much for all the "know it all" posters on TV)

Let us say that if you are are the Riverside Restaurant you continue to drive north (thats away from the south pole by the way) and you cross the intersection at Kaew Nawarat Road and with in 50 metres you will pass the Rimping Condo on your left (is everyone still with me or do we have to wait up for the stragglers.) you continue north and you will come upon a condo on your left

The one with the funny roof which is actually named Embassy Suites.

Well listen up and be alert (what ever a "lert' is) and immediately past Embassy Suites "still" om the left side of the road you will see Pun Pun Restaurant and Guest House.

If you have gotten to the next set of traffic lights you have gone too far (by 75 metres, sorry UG for the English)

Now if you want a meal and one that might overwhelme you this is the place.

If you're still struggling next week UG I will take you there.

Now what I am gonna say is not directed at you UG but what gets me sometimes is that you get all these folk who post on TV and who wouldn't know shyt from shinola when it comes to getting around.

They know everything whilst in fact they at the end of the day know sweet f/a :)

Edited by john b good

I knew guys who used to buy sandwiches from there and they looked pretty good.

I was pleasantly surprised at how professional the whole operation is. I had heard Pun Pun (meat eaters branch) was good, but everything from the menus to the presentation of the food was top notch.

Well prepared fresh food, big portions, lots of delicious side salads and steamed vegetables at no extra cost. Lots of unusual choices (like a frankfurter and Boston baked bean plate that I want to try).

I had a giant portion of meatloaf and mashed potatoes with lots of different veggies and was stuffed, but I had a most unusual strawberry desert anyway and that was quite good too.

All the other guys had fried fish with chips or baked potatoes and they were raving about that. 3 huge pieces of fish and HUGE baked potatoes.

I intend to go there somewhat frequently from now on (if the bike ride is not too painful).

I wish that they would get their food delivered by Meals on Wheels as they close to early for me to go there for dinner. :)

I was pleasantly surprised at how professional the whole operation is. I had heard Pun Pun (meat eaters branch) was good, but everything from the menus to the presentation of the food was top notch.

Well prepared fresh food, big portions, lots of delicious side salads and steamed vegetables at no extra cost. Lots of unusual choices (like a frankfurter and Boston baked bean plate that I want to try).

I had a giant portion of meatloaf and mashed potatoes with lots of different veggies and was stuffed, but I had a most unusual strawberry desert anyway and that was quite good too.

All the other guys had fried fish with chips or baked potatoes and they were raving about that. 3 huge pieces of fish and HUGE baked potatoes.

I intend to go there somewhat frequently from now on (if the bike ride is not too painful).

I wish that they would get their food delivered by Meals on Wheels as they close to early for me to go there for dinner. :)

So you have found it UG ?

It's a fairly closely guarded secret and I believe that there is no charge for water :D

Edited by john b good

Sounds good.

I know the place from the outside only. Is there a good seating area next to the river? What were the prices like?

They set up a special table for the group under some trees out front, so I did not get to see the normal seating, but it is on the river and Lonely Planet says there is a nice garden area for eating.

I have to admit that I looked at prices before seeing how much food they give and no alarms went off, so it was not expensive. Without investigating further, I would venture that one gets quite a bit for their money there.

I was REALLY impressed and kind of sorry that it took me so long to try the place. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

I'm going to get myself into trouble, but I think that the food at the Veggie restaurant (with the same name) is far over-rated. It has a wonderful atmosphere, but the food is the same old Veggie stuff you get everywhere in Thailand - nothing special.

I wish that someone would do a vegetarian restaurant that was not all Eastern food - like Green's in San Francisco - as it can be wonderful and healthy and no one is doing it out here.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Well golly willikers guys.

Some nice things were said in the above posts re Pun Pun. The real one where you can eat real food, not graze.

I have had Pun Pun now working on 13 years. Have had to move it 4 or 5 times , once people started to find about us and our somewhat eatable food. UG mentioned the portions being rather on the filling side. I find them to be just the right size. You come to a restaurant to eat , drink and bs. Not to take pictures of your food for Better Homes and Gardens.

One thing about Pun Pun, we prepare only the foods we like to eat, both Thai and Western. If you should desire something like a special veggie, like lima beans, asspara-gus, just ask us. We will be happy to tell you to go and open your own restaurant and cook what you like, we don't serve it.

As I said we have been happy clogging the arteries of CM's denizens for almost 13 years.

Now to be a little more serious, before the damnnned TOT goes out again. Oh my internet has not been on for more than 3 hrs over the past several days. Yesterday, I was suprised with a call about 2 hours before the group got here> Thank you TOT, [peckerheads]

But I wanted to say thanks to the entire group for coming. The internet was out , so there were no games to play and what the heck talking to you guys was better than nothing.

UG, after 12 long, long years, it was good to see that someone had to drive you out..... You kept telling me that its too far to ride your bike. Now you know.

To all the guys, Ventura, and Pete, the guys from the west coast state, with the crack in the ground that leaks gas from the center of the earth , and makes all of that states citizens a little wacko, thank you for coming. Thanks all to the rest of the gang.

I was so shocked to see you UG, that I really didn't recognize you at first.

Well after all that BS, I better get this posted, before the Internet goes south.

Thanks again all, and hope to see you again before the next 13 years

G

Hi Gonzo,

I met you once around 4 years ago at Pun Pun. I booked a room on behalf of someone for 30 nights at your guest house. I'm sure you won't remember me though. I remember you were very friendly and generous regarding the booking. I've heard good things about your food from more than one person.

Edited by Loaded

Hi Gonzo,

I met you once around 4 years ago at Pun Pun. I booked a room on behalf of someone for 30 nights at your guest house. I'm sure you won't remember me though. I remember you were very friendly and generous regarding the booking. I've heard good things about your food from more than one person.

Thanks L for the kind words, but please don't spread it around....

Remember Silence is Golden....... Duct Tape is Silver

4 years ago, and you haven't been by since.???? Did you eat when you were here, Gas, is that it ?????

:)

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Really enjoyed the food and company yesterday - the fish was good and more than I could eat - I took some home, and the baked potato was the best I have had in Chiang Mai. All for under 175 baht. I will be returning.

Edited by venturalaw