Pun Pun Restaurant

Ulysses G.

Really enjoyed the food and company yesterday - the fish was good and more than I could eat - I took some home, and the baked potato was the best I have had in Chiang Mai. All for under 175 baht. I will be returning.

Thanks for the kind words.

Glad you enjoyed the food.

Now that we have you hooked, stop by and see our new and updated menu with just a slight price increase.

Thanks again

Gonzo

ps sorry about that green stuff on the top of the baked potato....... If I told them once, I've told them a thousand times, scrape that green fuzzy stuff off the potatos before serving

Just yesterday I had breakfast in a well known restaurant in the city. (the GF had already for some reason fallen in love with Pun Pun) but she wasn't with me so I ventured to a place I hadn't been to for quite some time.

I won't mention the name some people are sensitive aren't they. The food was good but should have been at 220 baht.

If making a comparison (s) it couldn't hold a candle to what the Mad Dog (on price, quality or quantity) and NOR, could it come close on the same criteria to the breakfast at Pun Pun.

If you order the "superman" breakfast (at Pun Pun) you need to have Lois Lane, and "batman & robin" with you if ya gonna make a real dent in it.

I think that now UG has found the place he will be there every second day.

Better enrol in California Wow UG :)

Edited by john b good

Gonzo

Now I know who you are. Thanks for the great food.

I blindly accept your thanks, and that the secret to our food..... the cook is blind.

Its sometimes hard to tell the chilli from the pepper or salt from the sugar, so rather than sample each seasoning, we wait til its cooked then share a few spoonfulls from your plate around.....Don't worry though we wipe the spoon each time, except for the last which is the dogs turn.

Thanks again and keep on the medication I'm sure that that stomach pain will go away eventually

Gonzo

ID yourself the next time in and you can be rewarded with all your food un-tasted

:)

• 2 weeks later...
Really enjoyed the food and company yesterday - the fish was good and more than I could eat - I took some home, and the baked potato was the best I have had in Chiang Mai. All for under 175 baht. I will be returning.

The wife and i went to Pun Pun Guesthouse and Resturant last night for the first time.What a nice person the owner is we have never met him before and he made us so welcome.The food was second to non i had the green curry and it was one of the nicest that i have had in CM my wife had the spaghetti Bolognaise which she enjoyed very much i finished off with home made apple pie and ice cream which again was very nice.I then had the largest coffee that i have had in CM. A very enjoyable couple of hours the staff could not do enough for us .We will be returning in the near future to try the fish and chips.

DIRECTIONS TO THE PUN PUN

These directions are to the meat-lover's Pun Pun on the river... not the vegetarian place at Suan Dok.

If you get on the Rama IX Bridge from town [going east] as you cross the bridge you will see a condo hi rise on the right hand side. As you get off the bridge itself, there is a traffic light. Turn right and the Pun Pun is on your right hand side (about 50 metres or less) just before you reach the condo.

Do definitely give it a try.... great food and very friendly owner.

Edited by Bearnagh

• 3 weeks later...
jerry, my man your thoughtful input is greatly appreciated.

Just had the superman breakfast yesterday. If you follow the eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper then this is the breakfast to have. The bacon will send your blood pressure soaring though.

I've been to Pun Pun a few times now. I first heard about it right here on ThaiVisa.

I can tell you that the food is truly top class. This is real 'home cooking' and the difference is right there in the taste. It certainly isn't "petite cuisine" either - you'll never leave this place hungry.

You will also find a warm welcome like none other from the ever-cheerful owner, John, who takes a genuine interest in making people feel at home.

I thoroughly recommend this place. If you don't give it a try you really are missing one of Chiangmai's 'best kept secrets'.

One of my very good friend`s who sadly died last year from a massive stroke at age 54, was the previous owner of the Pun, Pun, Mr John Moore.

I knew John both when he lived in England and Thailand.

About 15 years ago, the Pun Pun used to flood during the rainy season and I would often see John under the buildings up to his neck in water trying to remove old bits of wood and stuff sweep in by the waves.

John is still sadly missed.

One of my very good friend`s who sadly died last year from a massive stroke at age 54, was the previous owner of the Pun, Pun, Mr John Moore.

I knew John both when he lived in England and Thailand.

About 15 years ago, the Pun Pun used to flood during the rainy season and I would often see John under the buildings up to his neck in water trying to remove old bits of wood and stuff sweep in by the waves.

John is still sadly missed.

WAVES ????

No I know what you mean I bought the place from John & Dang when Demi was a little cutie in arms.... there were some duzzy floods in the early years..... just building up for 2005. That was the big one. The river was up to about a foot and a half in Charoenrat Road in the front... but thank goodness for the dredgeing and the boys selling out the riverbottom, we haven't ha a flood since..... got some great flood shots though, but enough is enough...

Tonight is also Halloween, and I expect John to drop in....... I'll give him your best and tell him you said Hi.

If you haven't seen it, look in the thread pinned at the top of CM Forum,,,,, "Page of rememberance" there is some nice stuff written there about John

Gonzo

Edited by Gonzo the Face

All that's missing in this discussion is the explanation of how Pun Pun GH got its name :)

.....as folklore would have it ......long, long ago, in a spot where behemoths and dragons wandered, along the banks of the Mighty Mae Ping, there stood a spot , possessed of such natural beauty, that it appeared almost mystical. A spot, so unlike today, that the living jungle encroached directly to the rivers edge. This spot was deigned [ by dem dat dood de daining] to be so magical, so mystical and so enthralling, as to demand being given a name that would befit its aura of utopian beauty.

Dem daining dudes decided to bestow, upon this place of beauty, a name that WRAPPED up , ROLLED, BUNDLED, and held together each and every leaf and vine of this Eden like spot..

It just so happened, that in the time of this magical realm, there was a word that fit the term of wrapping, rolling, bandaging, and that word was "PUN" . ...... And as magical as it was to those saying it once, saying it twice, " PUN PUN" provided the sayer with the most ecstatic and exhilarating of sensations. "PUN PUN " Aaaaahhhhhh.

Well it came to pass, as the years came and went, to a time of about 25 years ago, a kindred and spirited person, was so enamored with this spot of beauty, that they felt that if they could just provide the means for a simple overnight accommodation, and a place for weary travelers to have a modest repast, to simply rest their tired souls, the beauty of this spot could be shared by many, many more travelers.

BOINK..... Pun Pun Guest House Pantry and Restaurant had arrived. [The one that serves meat ] There came a flood of weary , tired travelers, with their backs bundled and packed, [in todays language, known as backpackers] with all their worldly treasure.

These weary travelers, discovered the jungle to the rivers edge, the quiet serenity of this magical spot, almost completely unseen by the almost touchable outside world and did just that..... They un BUNDLED, they WRAPPED and they ROLLED, why some of them went as far as to even LIGHT , their magic wand. Soon they were transported back to the time of behemoths and dragons, and it is told that some of them even saw these magical mystical beasts. And they all lived happily ever after or at least until the headache went away.

......and that boys and girls, the rolling, wrapping, bundling , in the old language is what Pun Pun means.

Now what was the question...?????

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I went to the Pun Pun on the river today for lunch. I needed my occasional 'fix' of Farrang food. I was in heaven with my Superman Breakfast (even though it was 2.30 in the afternoon!). My wife prefers Thai dishes. Worth noting that the Pun Pun also has an excellent Thai menu, which I think is a major plus-point. She chose the garlic fish dish which was mammoth! It's the first time in my memory that she couldn't finish a meal. She also said it was the best fish she's had in Chiang Mai... and that's saying something!!

Here's a snap of her with that fabulous fish dish...

post-91856-1258463235_thumb.jpg

This place should definitely be on your "to go" list.

Edited by Bearnagh

I'm going to get myself into trouble, but I think that the food at the Veggie restaurant (with the same name) is far over-rated. It has a wonderful atmosphere, but the food is the same old Veggie stuff you get everywhere in Thailand - nothing special.

I wish that someone would do a vegetarian restaurant that was not all Eastern food - like Green's in San Francisco - as it can be wonderful and healthy and no one is doing it out here.

Go back and order something else. The food is hardly the same old veggie stuff one gets everywhere. I recommend the banana heart salad;

My wife and I went to the Pun Pun on the river today for lunch. I needed my occasional 'fix' of Farrang food. I was in heaven with my Superman Breakfast (even though it was 2.30 in the afternoon!). My wife prefers Thai dishes. Worth noting that the Pun Pun also has an excellent Thai menu, which I think is a major plus-point. She chose the garlic fish dish which was mammoth! It's the first time in my memory that she couldn't finish a meal. She also said it was the best fish she's had in Chiang Mai... and that's saying something!!

looks a bit dark and dingy for 2.30 in the afternoon.. :) fish looks nice though!

looks a bit dark and dingy for 2.30 in the afternoon.. :) fish looks nice though!

Everyone needs to visit the DARK Side from time to time.....

Pun Pun operates on daylight saving time and therefore was saving daylight for the night.....

Everyone needs to visit the DARK Side from time to time.....

Pun Pun operates on daylight saving time and therefore was saving daylight for the night.....

Well now... I've heard many a judge's critique of my photographs but that's the first time such wonderfully descriptive eloquence has been used :-)

Edited by Bearnagh