Chess Sets In Chiang Mai

HeyNow

Chess sets (mostly carved wood but some soft-stone) in the basement of the Night Bazaar building - north side of the street......... there's a section that is nothing but games, wooden puzzles etc.

As a general observation, the quality of most stuff inside the building seems way better than the souvenir/knock-off/tat stuff on the street stalls.

I also recommend the upper floor of the large book-store/stationery place on Rachawith - about 50-100 metres along from UN Irish pub heading east towards the moat.

Could you explain in more detail what you mean by "the Night Bazaar building?" I understand the Night Bazaar as an area, but I'm not sure which building your referring to. Which street do you mean?

I believe I've been to the book store you mentioned - it has 3 or 4 stories, no? Lots of art supplies? Can't say I saw a chess set there, but then again, I wasn't looking for one at the time.

Chess sets (mostly carved wood but some soft-stone) in the basement of the Night Bazaar building - north side of the street......... there's a section that is nothing but games, wooden puzzles etc.

As a general observation, the quality of most stuff inside the building seems way better than the souvenir/knock-off/tat stuff on the street stalls.

I also recommend the upper floor of the large book-store/stationery place on Rachawith - about 50-100 metres along from UN Irish pub heading east towards the moat.

Could you explain in more detail what you mean by "the Night Bazaar building?" I understand the Night Bazaar as an area, but I'm not sure which building your referring to. Which street do you mean?

I believe I've been to the book store you mentioned - it has 3 or 4 stories, no? Lots of art supplies? Can't say I saw a chess set there, but then again, I wasn't looking for one at the time.

Apologies: first of all I got my geography/compass wrong and the street I mean is Chang Klan - which runs north-south and has all the stalls on each side. The Night Bazaar "building" (sorry, I really don't another name for it) is a large roofed mall on the west side not far up from the new and grand Le Meridien Hotel. From the street, you'll see wide stairs going down into the basement (where the wooden games are - 2-3 shops/stalls somewhere in the middle) and also up to the floor above. The building itself is about 50 metres long and probably the same deep - there's also a gallery floor above the first two......... i.e. the place is pretty big - and unmissable once you're outside it :) . Incidentally, the gallery floors tend to be mainly antique (type) furniture, carvings, art objects etc - not impossible you'd find an arty chess set/board there.

We're talking about the same book/art supplies store in Rachawith - I think you want the top floor where they have various toys, games etc. Not a huge selection but I have seen chess sets there before.

Edited by Steve2UK

• 10 months later...

Think I've seen some at those cheesy games stalls along the Night Bazaar (200 baht ish), although probably a bit naff for you if you're looking to have one made.

Hi...for some reason I'm unable to reply to the guy looking for nice wooden chess sets. Could you let him know, if you can, that I have a few very nice sets that I brought from the US. My number is 0857109926, and email is [email protected]. I have both tournament plastic sets, and incredible wood sets, along with a few boards.

Thanks a lot if you can help.

John