I Got A Disturbing Call From Thailand Today

kubota

My girlfriend called me today saying that she had been scammed by somebody that where suppose to be a potential buyer for my house.

This started a couple of days ago, she called and said that a woman went to the house saying her sister was interrested in buying the house, and she would come to the house a few days later.

"her sister" which turned out to be 5 guys in a Toyota Fortuner showed up yesterday, all dressed up/hi-so looking, as she said... somehow she was lured to hand over money to them for god knows what?? and they where suppose to show up later with a deposit for the house.

All in all she handed over about 500k baht... The first thing on my mind was gambling-debt,,, but i am not to sure about it.. I called later today and then she was at the police station, they told her that this was a profesional gang, that have been reported before, and the car was most probarly a rented one with fake plates. Tommorow they are going to Lotus on Sukhumvit to go trouhgt the cctv cameras, and see if they can recognise the car/plates (they didn't go in with her to the bank).

So what you think guys/ladies, is this just another rather advanced excuse for a loss of money, or have somebody heard anything about this? We have been together for about 5 years, and this is not a common thing...

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to be cruel but if this is not 'spam' she's scamming you! I mean who in their right mind would hand over 10 Baht let alone 500K to someone interested in buying YOUR/HER property no matter what it is?

the LORD and a woman's mind work in mysterious ways :)

Where are you at the moment - in the UK?

Do you have a friend over here who can help your girlfriend do the search of the tapes?

I would do as a previous poster suggested and get a copy of the Police Report.

My wife recently needed to report a theft and the police produced a report and gave a copy to my wife - so it will be easy to at least prove that part of the story.

I have found that with many Thai women, my wife included, that they are almost childlike in their obedience to 'authority' figures, so as odd as this story may sound, it may well be true!

Until you are sure its a scam I would be very supportive. Not supporting her nor believing her without proof she is lying will ruin your relationship for sure - hey its bad enough losing 500k baht. So its best to believe her story until you are sure.

If she is proven to be a liar then dump her immediately you can!

My girlfriend called me today saying that she had been scammed by somebody that where suppose to be a potential buyer for my house.

This started a couple of days ago, she called and said that a woman went to the house saying her sister was interrested in buying the house, and she would come to the house a few days later.

"her sister" which turned out to be 5 guys in a Toyota Fortuner showed up yesterday, all dressed up/hi-so looking, as she said... somehow she was lured to hand over money to them for god knows what?? and they where suppose to show up later with a deposit for the house.

All in all she handed over about 500k baht... The first thing on my mind was gambling-debt,,, but i am not to sure about it.. I called later today and then she was at the police station, they told her that this was a profesional gang, that have been reported before, and the car was most probarly a rented one with fake plates. Tommorow they are going to Lotus on Sukhumvit to go trouhgt the cctv cameras, and see if they can recognise the car/plates (they didn't go in with her to the bank).

So what you think guys/ladies, is this just another rather advanced excuse for a loss of money, or have somebody heard anything about this? We have been together for about 5 years, and this is not a common thing...

It appears very suspicious; get a Private Investigator to do some uncovering. Your gambling debt or some sort of debt related

matter can be a scenario. (default in bank loan?)

You did list your house/property through a legitimate real-estate company?

This unfortunately is a common scam, usually the person being scammed is invited to the "office" which is usually a rented house, and given a "welcome drink" the drink being laced with a drug, which ends up with the person being deleriuos and doing whatever the scammers ask!!!! :D Sad but true.

A freind of mine was done by the same scam a couple of years ago, we tried to retrace the steps and it led us to a house in Jomtien which had been rented for the day, and according to the neighbours this happened a lot???<deleted> :)

Ask the local police, believe me, this is not a rare event!!!

What is that interesting smell?
Sorry to be cruel but if this is not 'spam' she's scamming you! I mean who in their right mind would hand over 10 Baht let alone 500K to someone interested in buying YOUR/HER property no matter what it is?

the LORD and a woman's mind work in mysterious ways :)

book a flight to Tao land of the lost mate, you have been had.

Do you have a friend over here who can help your girlfriend do the search of the tapes?

My wife recently needed to report a theft and the police produced a report and gave a copy to my wife - so it will be easy to at least prove that part of the story.

I have found that with many Thai women, my wife included, that they are almost childlike in their obedience to 'authority' figures, so as odd as this story may sound, it may well be true!

Until you are sure its a scam I would be very supportive. Not supporting her nor believing her without proof she is lying will ruin your relationship for sure - hey its bad enough losing 500k baht. So its best to believe her story until you are sure.

I will get a copy of the report when i go back in about 2 weeks time, but how much is a report worth...not much i guess?

I haven't got the whole picture yet, guess i never will, but like it is now she said she lost all her money.

No she didn't keep the money at home of course, they drove her to the bank, that's why they are going to check the cameras tomorrow.

"almost childlike in their obedience to 'authority' figures" agree with you there, one of the first things she said was that "they looked like people have money".

let's see what tomorrow brings..

inocent until proven guilty

it does seem a little bit far fetched. but she is your girlfriend of five years i seem to remember.

also i think you said she lost all "her money"

if its proved she lied, well only you know what you will do with her after all five years is a long time.

best of luck

mick

This unfortunately is a common scam, usually the person being scammed is invited to the "office" which is usually a rented house, and given a "welcome drink" the drink being laced with a drug, which ends up with the person being deleriuos and doing whatever the scammers ask!!!! :D Sad but true.

A freind of mine was done by the same scam a couple of years ago, we tried to retrace the steps and it led us to a house in Jomtien which had been rented for the day, and according to the neighbours this happened a lot???<deleted> :)

huh, they would have to be pretty lucky scammers to find someone carrying 500k around in their purse.

Edited by stevehaigh

Let me get this straight, your girlfriend of five years is selling your house (you don't mention if this is with your approval or not?), a woman comes around and says her sister will be around later, the sister turns out to be five guys? The five guys convince her to go to the bank while they wait outside so she can get 500K to give to them? did she tell you <deleted> the 500K was for?? The guys are supposed to come back later with the deposit for the house?? My friend, your girlfriend has a very poor imagination if that is the best story she can come up with!!!!

Similar thing happened to my mate's wife when they were selling a car. Someone came around to view it and slipped her a drug (possibly rohypnol?) and got her to hand over money and jewellery that was in the house and even go to the ATM to withdraw more money.

I'm going to play devils advocate here and say that she was duped.  They told her it was for "closing costs" and she believed them.  I find it hard to belive that the mrs. would settle for 500K when she can sell the house and get much more if she was in it for the money.  To many people 500K really isn't a huge sum of money so I'm not sure why everyone immediately jumps  on the OP and says his wife/g'f is stealing from him, especially after 4 years.

I will get a copy of the report when i go back in about 2 weeks time, but how much is a report worth...not much i guess?

I haven't got the whole picture yet, guess i never will, but like it is now she said she lost all her money.

No she didn't keep the money at home of course, they drove her to the bank, that's why they are going to check the cameras tomorrow.

"almost childlike in their obedience to 'authority' figures" agree with you there, one of the first things she said was that "they looked like people have money".

let's see what tomorrow brings..

The police report is not a lot of proof as such, but it is the place to start. If there is no police report then I would suspect this story is false. The first thing my wife wanted to do was to let the police know what had happened. When her friends heard about the theft the first thing they asked her was if she had been to the police station. One friend had a brother in the local police and asked him to keep an eye on my wife's case etc..

Thai's network a lot in this way, so if she has not reported it to the police and asked for help from her friends and family to find these scum, then the story could be smelly.

I know my wife, her family and friends would be 'parked' in the bank office demanding to see all the tapes the bank had and make a massive fuss. As you know 500K is a lot of money to a Thai.

Sadly people who are duped in this way are often ridiculed or not believed by those clever people out there who would never be caught in this way. In my case I am one of the most careful people around - yet I had my identity stolen - and money taken from a bank account. I got the money back under UK banking rules. So perhaps I have more sympathy towards 'stupid' people who are the victims of these scum :)

Edited by dsfbrit

It should be them paying her for the house not her paying them !!

Unless, they have drugged her somehow, I have heard of this before, a Lady in Big C, talking to two Ladies, and then next thing, she handed them her thick Gold chain, afterwards she could not remember anything.

Scary !!!!

I have just seen your post and read a few replies, but have to say I am slightly stagggered even by the standards of Thailand to read what happened.

You are saying that your house is for sale, correct?

but somehow your g/f was persuaded to pay 500,000 baht to a group of unknown men?

To be frank the whole story sounds quite ridiculous.

Can we have more detail?!

Im shocked about the possible drugging that could have be involved. Its frightening to know that we could so easily hand over anything we have without realising and without resistance. Also, the possibility of remembering nothing. I, like others, read your op and thought it sounded very odd, and had my doubts..but then reading what drugs like rohypnol can do to a person I can then understand how a person may be duped.

If your gf was a victim of drugging then she must be very distressed about it. Sorry this happened to you both and good luck in tracking them down.

Makes me realise i need to be more wary/cautious!