New Non-imm O Multi On 23 9 09 In Penang

I received a Non-Imm O Multi 1 year on 23 9 09 in Penang after submitting: a copy of my marriage certificate; housepaper on our condo that we own in Bangkok; a copy of a bankbook with 50K baht showing; a business format letter in Thai from my wife requesting the visa with her business card attached showing her degrees, engineers license and position with her company; and a copy of the letter in English.

I used NJ bookstore on Chulia street in Penang. When I picked up my passport, Haji at NJ told me that of the five applications for Non-Imm O multis he submitted the previous day, I was the only one to receive a multi. Four other applicants were given 3 month, single entry, Non-Imm O visas and a portion of their fee was returned. I met one man of the four in the agent's office and he and his wife were pretty unhappy about it. He had submitted the same papers with 90K showing in the bank. Haji thought the difference was the letter my wife wrote.

Two other agents told me they were not always able to tell which applicants for 1 year multis would get them at this time.

After discussing the situation re 1 yr multis in Penag on the forum before going I was pretty unsure what would happen - and even though I got what I wanted, it does seem like there may be really no way to tell.

Also contrary to what has been reported recently elsewhere on ThaiVisa Forum there seems to be no hassle at all involved getting free 2 month tourist visas there and I talked to a number of people who had gotten them for a 20 Ringgit fee to an agent while they enjoyed Penang.

I had a great stay at the Old Penang Guesthouse on Love Lane (turn off Chulia at the 7-11, a few doors down on the right). I would say it is the best place I ever stayed in Penang of the 6 times I have been there in the last 15 years. For the same price (or less) for staying at one of the numerous truly horrible cheap guesthouses in the same area, Old Penang was exceedingly clean, recently completely remodeled with newly painted rooms with high ceilings, remote controlled new aircons, nice wood furniture, great mattresses, lights, mirrors, and pictures on the wall - pretty much like a boutique hotel - included was free internet computer use, wireless, a big flatscreen TV with great channels and books full of movie dvd's in a big confortable lounge area, free tea and coffee and toast and jam in the mornings which you could eat in a sort of atrium where a series of new power plugs along the wall were for laptops. The manager lent me a Nokia charger for the duration of my stay and was one of the nicest people I have met in Penang and the staff were equally great and everyone spoke English. The place was almost always full during the 5 days I stayed there so booking in advance might be a good idea if you are interested.

Another great thing, Penang has a new fleet of busses - just about anywhere on the Island is accessible in air-con comfort for a few ringgit. There is a bus stand at the jetty where the ferry from Butterworth docks. No need to get ripped-off by cheeky Taxi drivers. And, finally - Woodlands (Vegetarian South Indian) Restaurant in Little India. Great tasting food, and low prices like all the dirty Indian places in the area, but air-con, clean and quiet.

RF

Thank you for your report, rangefinder. Previously, the latest success of a multiple-entry non-O visa at the Penang consulate to visit Thai wife was on 2009-05-15, also by a member who submitted more than the bare minimum of documents. It appears, therefore, that the consulate does evaluate applications individually and makes decisions based on the merits of the application.

--

Maestro

• 4 weeks later...

More or less the same story as rangefinder on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week. Multi Non Imm O granted, based on marriage, with no problems in Penang. I used the same documentation as rangefinder but without an English translation of the letter from my wife.

Two applications for Non Imm O's were made. Mine was OK, the other guy was refused. The difference in documents between the two of us, according to the agent, was the letter from the wife!

One other guy was refused a Tourist Visa and was last seen cursing his way to a van bound for Kuala Lumpur. He was convinced that it was because he had had an extension from Samui, rather than elsewhere, that had made the difference.

Didn't spot The Old Penang Guest House though I wish that I had. Good tip rangefinder.

The dominant force appears to be the New Banana organisation, which seems to have expanded enormously since I was last in Penang two years ago.

Relatively easy, but I also made the bid on an over documented basis.