Decay Of Victory Monument Area

BugJackBaron

It seems that despite a bevy of expatriates living in the area it has become less

interesting recently. Many cool Japanese places have boarded up and even

thai restaurants that were popular sit empty. The free wifi places have closed this service.

Some western food places on a popular street have gone down in quality since their western owner sold out to Thais.

But VM has always been on the edge - No Starbucks, Coffee World or Burger King - like in truly upscale places.

Edited by BugJackBaron

Just imagine that! A part of Thailand that has no Starbucks, Coffee World or Burger King! How outrageous. What is the world coming to!

Yep :) I have no problem with that actually, but you have to admit it's strange to have

a market as big s VM with none of these. It does after all have a mceeDee and many crappy

western chains so you cannot say it

is really a pure Thai area anyways.

Some western food places on a popular street have gone down in quality since their western owner sold out to Thais.

If you mean Soi Ragnam I would agree that the loss of the popular farang restaurant now limits the quality of foreign food in the area, but I still think some of the Thai restaurants / cafes on the soi are excellent. Relaxed places to hang and friendly staff, not expensive and sometimes an interesting flow of people on the street. (But I wouldn't want to live on that soi!)

Would like to see a live music joint though -- something in addition to Saxaphone (maybe not quite as pricey!)

It seems that despite a bevy of expatriates living in the area it has become less

thai restaurants that were popular sit empty. The free wifi places have closed this service.

But VM has always been on the edge - No Starbucks, Coffee World or Burger King - like in truly upscale places.

Who gives a monkeys.... there are plenty of good places to go for free WiFi..... nothing at VM except schoolgirls..!

Not good economics?

I see less customers everywhere.

Not good economics?

Have you been to Central World and and the like lately? The restaurants are often packed...with Thais, not farang...sometimes with lines out front.

I actually think most shoppers anywhere in the CBD have gravitated to Central World and Siam Paragon simply because the Skytrain makes it convenient.

Not good economics?

Have you been to Central World and and the like lately? The restaurants are often packed...with Thais, not farang...sometimes with lines out front.

I actually think most shoppers anywhere in the CBD have gravitated to Central World and Siam Paragon simply because the Skytrain makes it convenient.

RE the line ups at Restaurants, only Fuji. :)

Not good economics?

No, not just Fuji.

Not good economics?

No, not just Fuji.

Well as a regular patron of Siam Paragon I can say that the Japanese places seem to have the most businessa

as they offer a more or less tasty meal at reasonable prices

whereas the more expensive but tastier Pi-Pi is at best 25% full. Same with the new fish n chip place.

Also keep in mind that many asians their are not Thai. The Thais that patronize such places are clearly in the

top 10% of the income bracket of Thais. Perhaps the top 10% of the population.

You may want to look at the "lonely few" at the far end of Siam on the first floor. The high class restaurants

seem never to be full(with or two exceptions)

From what I remember as a tourist here last year it is down down down.

It i