Fireworks During Vegetarian Festival

GraemeF

There are (unfortunately) already on sale all over the island. The kids of our neigbhors are playing with it for more than a week now which drive my dogs (and me) crazy :)

We must be neighbours - for one week now my dog is a shivering wreck thanks to the kids letting off bangers in our soi up until bedtime at 10pm :D

There are (unfortunately) already on sale all over the island. The kids of our neigbhors are playing with it for more than a week now which drive my dogs (and me) crazy :)

We must be neighbours - for one week now my dog is a shivering wreck thanks to the kids letting off bangers in our soi up until bedtime at 10pm :D

We must be neighbors as well.

Super Cheap has a huge selection of fireworks for sale.

Someone must be making money out this dam_n festival every year. It's a pain in the arse - processions, traffic jams, fireworks, stupid people with shears and swords through their faces. Phuket town becomes one big car park... and for what? I just had a load of brussels sprouts with my pork chops but I don't need a fokking festival to celebrate it.

Please, someone enlighten me as to what the h3ll this is all about.

PS. This "Leo" is really good stuff.

Someone must be making money out this dam_n festival every year. It's a pain in the arse - processions, traffic jams, fireworks, stupid people with shears and swords through their faces. Phuket town becomes one big car park... and for what? I just had a load of brussels sprouts with my pork chops but I don't need a fokking festival to celebrate it.

Way to respect their holiday :)

Way to respect their holiday :)

I have nothing against people having their holiday and do whatever they like during it. But I certainly object to parents allowing their children to play with fireworks whenever the children feel like it. I have been plagued by explosions in the neighbourhood for the last 3 weeks. First it was some sort of festival making merit at the temple, could not find it in my calender. Now the excuse is the run-up to the vegetarian festival, and after that it will be Loi Kratong and after that what? It drives me nuts sometimes. The kids also have these home-made type of cannons, a steel tube where they pour gasolene in at the end and then light it, and it makes a lot of noise. They set up even batteries of these things 10-15 side by side.

I thought that in order to set off fire works you need a permit for a special occasion, and minors in any case are not allowed to use them. I live in Ban Lipon near the Heroines Monument. If this keeps on all year I may have to move someplace else. I have known about this undisciplined behaviour of teenagers in the villages of Isaan but it is new to me here in Phuket.

I thought that in order to set off fire works you need a permit for a special occasion, and minors in any case are not allowed to use them. I live in Ban Lipon near the Heroines Monument. If this keeps on all year I may have to move someplace else. I have known about this undisciplined behaviour of teenagers in the villages of Isaan but it is new to me here in Phuket.

to be honest i didn't realise there were any restrictions, people round here must have stocked up, can't recall one week where there hasn't been a reason to set off fireworks, kids appear to have an endless supply.

a consequence of this is that the numerous soi dogs barely respond, either so used to the bangs or they all have industrial deafness.

I have nothing against people having their holiday and do whatever they like during it. But I certainly object to parents allowing their children to play with fireworks whenever the children feel like it. I have been plagued by explosions in the neighbourhood for the last 3 weeks. First it was some sort of festival making merit at the temple, could not find it in my calender. Now the excuse is the run-up to the vegetarian festival, and after that it will be Loi Kratong and after that what? It drives me nuts sometimes. The kids also have these home-made type of cannons, a steel tube where they pour gasolene in at the end and then light it, and it makes a lot of noise. They set up even batteries of these things 10-15 side by side.

Dude, do you even know what country you are in?

Well they was doing it far longer than us lot have been here why try to change something that is not for us to change if you cant get into phuket town in your car then use a bike dont forget before we cam here they had push bikes

I know very well what country I am in. I have been living in it for the last 18 years, and at this particular location for the last 10 years. This is a new thing for this area. We never had this kind of annoyance before

I know very well what country I am in. I have been living in it for the last 18 years, and at this particular location for the last 10 years. This is a new thing for this area. We never had this kind of annoyance before

It's hard to believe that someone living in Thailand for 18 years would think you would need permits to set private fireworks, and is surprised when the neighborhood kids set them off. Every mom and pop minimart, and even huge Super Cheap, has them for sale in mass.

It's hard to believe that someone living in Thailand for 18 years would think you would need permits to set private fireworks, and is surprised when the neighborhood kids set them off. Every mom and pop minimart, and even huge Super Cheap, has them for sale in mass.

You have only have to have lived in Thailand since last month to know that in order to set off fireworks you need a permit. I refer you to Issues and Answers of the Phuket Gazette of 16 Sept, 2009 where this issue was discussed. Because every Mom and Pop store sells them that still does not make it legal. As I said in my post, for 10 years of living in this location it has not been a problem, only since about 3 weeks ago. However, I have to say, that for some reason or other during the last few days it has been getting less, perhaps the bored juveniles have found another activity to amuse themselves or to prove their manhood, such as motorcycle racing, soon they will be piercing their faces with sharp objects.

bellachg, is it possible the article was reffering to orgainized larger commercial type fireworks? (Although I admit I have seen some 6" diameter shells and tubes at the supermarket in Rawaii that looked as big as anything I have seen the pros use on TV)

I have a cutting from the Phuket Gazette on the subject of fireworks, the answer from Pol Col Paween Pongsriin,Superintendnt of Phuket City Police Station goes like this:

"Shops must have a license from the local District Office to sell fireworks, and they may only sell certain types.

Selling fireworks without a permit is punishable by a term of up to one month in jail or a fine of up to 1.000 baht or both.

There is no legal minimum age for buying fireworks.However, any person who wants to set off fireworks, including firecrackers, must first obtain written permission from the local Distict Office- although most people don't.

Anyone found disturbing the peace by setting off fireworks may be fined up to 100B. If you know of anyone breaking the law, you can file a complaint at the local police station."

For what it's worth :)