Smart switch wiring

I know I should probably get an electrician, but was wondering how easy it would be to switch my regular switches to smart switches. (After switching off the power naturally)

The current wiring doesnt look like anything I find online. Is it just a case of sticking the 2 black and 1 red into the L1, L2, L3 and then the white into the L?

The electrician who wired my house said there was no neutral wire on the switches.

Screenshot_20240523_192416_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240523_192503_Lazada.jpg

Posted (edited)

Probably white into L and the others in the Lx terminals.

Try. And be careful. 

And about N: Look in the manual. Maybe it works without N, under certain conditions, maybe.

Edited by OneMoreFarang

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Probably white into L and the others in the Lx terminals.

Try. And be careful. 

Thank you. As there are 2 ends on the white. Should they be put together into the L?

20 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

Both whites into L, black into L1, black into L2, brown into L3

Ok, it's brown.. being colour-blind I could have sworn that was red!

Thanks for your help.

Check what is live and not with one of those very cheap  mains test screwdrivers before doing anything  the colour of the wire means nothing.

MKB Voltage Tester, Electric Tester AC 120-250V Electric Tester Pen AC 120-250V Screwdriver Probe Light Voltage Tester

On 5/24/2024 at 7:40 PM, johng said:

the colour of the wire means nothing.

So will poking around with a test pen unless one knows what they are doing.

You will find most correctly associated the existing connections with what was required in the new arrangement.

Colours quoted were to guide the Op in the right direction.

On 5/24/2024 at 4:40 PM, johng said:

Check what is live and not with one of those very cheap  mains test screwdrivers before doing anything  the colour of the wire means nothing.

MKB Voltage Tester, Electric Tester AC 120-250V Electric Tester Pen AC 120-250V Screwdriver Probe Light Voltage Tester

Looking at the picture above the while cable is clearly input, it connects to all 3 switches.

Switch.png.9144abb435c915e9999f42b2b208b92a.png

• Thumbs Up 1

My guess is that the two blacks and the brown run power to the respective receptacles…

the whites are all the same providing load current… there are probably two whites coming in because one is the load wire and the second is daisy chained to provide load to the next adjacent switch on the wall… 

Posted (edited)

My guess is that the two blacks and the brown run power to the respective receptacles…

the whites are all the same providing load current… there are probably two whites coming in because one is the load wire and the second is daisy chained to provide load to the next adjacent switch on the wall… 

Put the two blacks and brown on the L1 L2 & L3…

The two whites put together and put  in L

DISCLOSURE 
I am not a electrician but played one in a previous life where I forgot to wear my flip flops to work…

Edited by BKKKevin

8 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Much easier to replace the bulbs with smart LED/WiFi jobbies than 5..king around with wiring switches.

That may not be easier… I have a similar triple switch for my living room… Each switch controls a bank of 5 pot lights… So replacing the switch would be easier than replacing and programming 15 lightbulbs… Also the switches have to always be in the on position so they are useless… Then I have to train my Thai partner to NOT use the switches and instruct him on the use of an app instead…  😀

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, BKKKevin said:

That may not be easier… I have a similar triple switch for my living room… Each switch controls a bank of 5 pot lights… So replacing the switch would be easier than replacing and programming 15 lightbulbs… Also the switches have to always be in the on position so they are useless… Then I have to train my Thai partner to NOT use the switches and instruct him on the use of an app instead…  😀

OK, or as your Thai partner might say, up to you.

Once programmed, it is so good to have lights come on and off, brightness, colour etc without intervention. Works on my Aircon and Purifyer too, and can control with my Amazon Firestick remote, or Google. 

Edited by KannikaP

On 5/26/2024 at 6:09 PM, KannikaP said:

OK, or as your Thai partner might say, up to you.

Once programmed, it is so good to have lights come on and off, brightness, colour etc without intervention. Works on my Aircon and Purifyer too, and can control with my Amazon Firestick remote, or Google. 

Unfortunately I have a chandelier with around 50 bulbs, then there's all the garden LED floodlights. Changing switches is definitely the better solution for me. 

I have some Hue light bulbs for the lights I want to be able to adjust.

I decided to get an electrician to do it all. Much easier for the small cost of it all.

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

• Thumbs Up 2