How to get maximum interest for your money?

4 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

The weirdest possible scenarios occur when dealing with almost anything in Thailand!

GSBank yesterday, girl tells me that if I put 10,000 baht every month for 24 months, I will get 6,360 baht interest at the end, and then can take the money out.

I asked her, how about if I put the total 240,000 in a fixed deposit right now, how much interest will I get at the end of 2 years, she said "less".

I simply could not believe it, because if I go her route of 10k per month, the bank has very little of my money for quite a few months, but if I deposit the entire amount immediately, the bank (technically & also logically) should give me a much better return at the end of 2 years.

I asked to see the Manager, and she confirmed what the girl said!

Sorry for the lengthy post, but my mind is totally blown, and therefore I humbly ask all of you learned people, where can I deposit a million or so baht for the maximum interest, for a year, renewable each year.

Similar to buying say a vehicle on HP, where the total interest is added on at the start no matter how much you still owe them.

Most of the answers I have read are nothing to do with the OPs question.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thank you all for your valuable info and advice!

Tomorrow, a visit to Land & Housing Bank, thanks to FreeWorld's input!

And a last question for anybody still reading this, what about if I consider other options rather than banks, would you think Gold, or the Stock Market would be better?

15 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Interest rates in Thai banks are barely worth the hassle.

True at this time better rates in other countries. But 2012-2014 Thai banks were quite good. Especially Bank of Ayudhya Mee Tae Dai savings accounts. But yeah right now money needs to be elsewhere 😉 Capital One is 4.25% which is about what Ayudhya was back then

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, mania said:

True at this time better rates in other countries. But 2012-2014 Thai banks were quite good. Especially Bank of Ayudhya Mee Tae Dai savings accounts. But yeah right now money needs to be elsewhere 😉 Capital One is 4.25% which is about what Ayudhya was back then

Yeah, i can get 5.5% in a 1 year fixed bond in my home country bank which is pretty good.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It is not weird, Goverment bank may be actively encouraging regular savings and the interest under this scheme may fall under a tax-exemption.

I just locked 1 mil away for 10 months for my son with Krungsri at 2% with  1400 baht interest paid monthly. (This is a 'Special' as mentioned by previous poster)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Altria stock on NYSE pays more than 9% and they are well positioned in the 'smokeless' market. They continually command higher prices with Marlboro in the US. Phillip Morris sells Marlboro outsife the US.  KPR, another + 9% dividend interest payer is an oil lease drilling company.  Charles Schwab opens international accounts where you can pretty much control your $$$.

13 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

Thank you all for your valuable info and advice!

Tomorrow, a visit to Land & Housing Bank, thanks to FreeWorld's input!

And a last question for anybody still reading this, what about if I consider other options rather than banks, would you think Gold, or the Stock Market would be better?

I've always been a bit of a gold bug in LOS. It's instantly convertable to cash and it has appreciated in value since I arrived full time in 2004. I've also had a good dividend stock (CPNRF) previously thru Bualuang Securities.I've rarely left any larger amounts in savings accounts. Thats just me, there are a myriad of other ways to invest.I've been lucky I suppose. 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2024 at 6:48 AM, CanadaSam said:

The weirdest possible scenarios occur when dealing with almost anything in Thailand!

GSBank yesterday, girl tells me that if I put 10,000 baht every month for 24 months, I will get 6,360 baht interest at the end, and then can take the money out.

I asked her, how about if I put the total 240,000 in a fixed deposit right now, how much interest will I get at the end of 2 years, she said "less".

I simply could not believe it, because if I go her route of 10k per month, the bank has very little of my money for quite a few months, but if I deposit the entire amount immediately, the bank (technically & also logically) should give me a much better return at the end of 2 years.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but my mind is totally blown, and therefore I humbly ask all of you learned people, where can I deposit a million or so baht for the maximum interest, for a year, renewable each year.

A 12-month fixed account pays around 1.30% p.a. right now, so 240,000 x 1.30% is 3,120 baht, two years deposit gives a gain of 6,280 baht with interest's interest.

• Agree 1

On 5/21/2024 at 10:21 AM, PJ71 said:

Interest rates in Thai banks are barely worth the hassle.

Where in the world do banks pay where the hassle is worth it? ...and your money is safe.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Forget about bank's interest rates.  Instead ask the banks about '' foreign investment funds,'' especially indian funds.

Edited by fonzo
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mason45 said:

I'm currently getting 4.85% for 9 months, Australian Government Guaranteed.

CBA are offering 4.9% for 11 months. Trouble is when you hit the icon to accept the site says not found. This was this morning.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/20/2024 at 11:48 PM, CanadaSam said:

Because 24 months of business is worth more than 30 minutes of business? :unsure:

• Confused 1

Go to Cambodia. Convert your money to Khmer Riel. Or transfer and deposit US$ directly. Deposit in someone like Woori Bank or LOLC and get decent interest rates. Depends on how much effort you want to go to to get resident tax (6%) on interest or non-resident (14%). If you have the interest paid monthly use the banks app to transfer it to Wing and from there to yourself at a Kasikorn account with no fees on the last day of each month. 
To open the account you will need a Cambodia E type visa (possibly with an extension to qualify for resident rates).
A local rental agreement (guest house, serviced apartment, etc)

Letter from the local Sangkat saying you are resident in their area.

Rates have come down about 0.50% in the last couple of months. 

Screen Shot 2024-05-23 at 9.44.56 PM.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/22/2024 at 6:56 AM, Mason45 said:

I'm currently getting 4.85% for 9 months, Australian Government Guaranteed.

Yes, but some interesting tax implications are on their way, both in Australia, and in Thailand. 

• Agree 1

On 5/21/2024 at 2:48 PM, CanadaSam said:

where can I deposit a million or so baht for the maximum interest, for a year, renewable each year.

Money in the bank is dead money, i.e. you receive low interest, while they lend it out to others for a higher rate.

Then you have the cost of goods and services which have risen at least 15% over the last couple of years, thanks to governments for printing more and more money, due to let's say Covid....LoL

Invest your money into hard core assets and reap the rewards, that said, you need to do your home work.

A simple hint would be Bitcoin or Ethereum, I have been making an absolute killing since January, now if you think these legally approved ETF's are a scam, please carry on earning your interest from the banks, while I continue to make anywhere from 5% to 30% on these two Cryptocurrencies, which will continue to grow.

Now you did ask where you could get the best interest, to me interest is a % of money invested, not in banks, that is the last place I would invest my money as it is a loss after you take inflation into account.

Good luck anyways.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

In the UK i have a 6% 1 year term deposit maturing soon.

New rate about 4.5%

Got too much already invested in the markets so i'll probably stick with declining interest rates. By no means ideal.

• Thumbs Up 1