Chaengwattana Government Center Trip Report

Part 1 - Pre Trip

I am currently holding a 1 year Non imm O, multiple entry visa which expires 23 October. My current passport stamp for a 90 visit ends 7 October.

So this is the perfect time to convert my visa into an Extension of Stay for Retirement (ESR).

I have had the ESR in the past but did not renew it last year as I was not in BKK.

I received the 1 year non imm O through the Royal Thai Consulate in Dallas.

Today, I did the following:

1) New photos

2) American Embassy notarized letter confirming required income. I wrote $3,500 per month.

3) Filled out 2 copies of TM7 – visa application and TM8 – Multiple re-entry application with pasted photos.

4) 2 color copies of each of the following – with signature on the copies:

A) The front ( photo ) page of my passport,

B) Current visa,

C) Last date entered stamp,

D) Current TM6 departure card

E) Copy of all bank passbook pages, in case they ask about my income.

The manager of my building wrote out specific directions for the taxi I'll be taking tomorrow morning at 09:00.

A complete timed trip report will follow when I return home Wednesday.

If you guys can think of anything I've overlooked, please let me know.

Cheers,

Twin

Part 2 - Trip Report

Summary : Way better experience than expected!

Jumped in a taxi in front of the Landmark Hotel at 9:32. I had excellent written instructions in Thai from my apartment manager. He Driver knew right where to go.

Got off the freeway at 9:48, but did not get to the building until 10:05 due to traffic on ChaengWattana (CW).

Be certain the tell the driver the building is the very last building at the end of the government complex, which is just past the massive CAT complex. Taxi with tolls was 250 baht.

Building has a very nice open entry, with 3 or 4 greeters, who will steer you where you need to go.

The room for us Room 1 on the right side as you walk down the corridor.

When you enter there will a greeting counter with people asking you what you want to do.

I cannot stress this enough: Have your paperwork filled out before you get there. That way there is no confusion or having to explain what you want, as the assistant will see the form and know directly where to send you.

I showed the girl my TM7 and she gave me a purple plastic badge with L -4 - 4 inscribed.

I walked into the large room and immediately noticed various cubicles had different color codes for different functions. Purple led me to the Visa Extension area and each cubicle is numbered L - 1. L - 2, etc.

I found L - 4 and it was clear L - 4 - 3 was the current customer, so I was next in line.

At 10:22, I was called into the office and found a very friendly long time (28 years ) employee. I gave her the TM7, Notarized income statement, and photocopies of the front passport page current visa, and TM6. (The above poster was correct. Only one copy of each was required. )

She asked for 1,900 baht and disappeared. She came back, we chatted for a bit and within 10 minutes a guy came back with my new stamp.

Step 1 done!

I asked where to go for the TM8, and she must have thought I already had a queue number for that, so she sent me over to the Re-entry desks, but when I got there I was told I needed a number.

So, back to the front, where I showed then my TM8, a number was given, then it was back over to their section. A woman beckoned me into her area, took my paperwork, asked for 3,800, gave me a receipt, and asked me to wait 15 minutes.

Right at that time, an electronic LED counter arrived and this sent everyone into a tizzy, all work stopping while The 3 Stooges tried to mount and operate the thing. It was laughable, but caused about a 15 delay. I had my re-entry permit and was walking out of the place at 11:20.

It's a very clean, open space with good air conditioning, and as others have noted, a food court downstairs.

Lots of chairs and much more clarity of where you should go for your specific needs.

And the few questions I asked were answered quickly and courteously.

Now, if you've take a taxi, it is a bit of a crap shoot what will be outside when you're leaving.

There were 7 or 8 people standing outside and no way of knowing if they were waiting for a taxi or not. There was an assistant out there, but no taxi queue, so it was fend for yourself if a cab was there.

Luckily, 3 cabs pulled up, and although there were passengers for each, one driver did not want to go where the guy asked, so I jumped in and said Sukhumvit, and he said "No problem?

Interestingly on the way back, he did not U turn on CW, rather going straight until he hit another highway that came back to Sukhumvit. Seemed to take even less time.

Taxi with toll was 220. Home at 11:50.

If CW are this smooth on the 3rd day, I think it bodes well for the future.

One other comment. Do not go there anytime after 10:30 if you want morning service. There are signs everywhere saying "Closed for Lunch 12:00 - 1:00". Get there by 10 and you should certainly be finished by 11 or 11:30.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Cheers

Twin

Legal for another year!

Which entry did you use? The main one off of Soi 7 (East) or South one at end or Soi 7 and around the corner? You said immigration area was on the right so if they drew the building plan right it would have to be from the South Entry. If from South Entry can taxi drive to it? There was some speculation that it is was walk up entry.

Which entry did you use? The main one off of Soi 7 (East) or South one at end or Soi 7 and around the corner? You said immigration area was on the right so if they drew the building plan right it would have to be from the South Entry. If from South Entry can taxi drive to it? There was some speculation that it is was walk up entry.

As you make the left turn off CW, just past the CAT complex, follow the road all the way to the end, probably 500 meters. There are several chances to turn right in to the complex. Do not. Just keep going all the way to the end of the buildings.

There are occasional "Immigration Office" signs with arrows. Follow them.

When you get the end of the property, turn right and there is a driveway that takes you to the steps to enter the building.

Very convenient, and once inside, only steps to the room we use.

Hope this helps.

Twin

I just came back from the Immigration and it was better than I expected as Twin expressed previously.

I got extension to stay, re-entry permit and 90day report, and was out the door in 3hours.

If it wasn't for the lunch break from 12:00 to 1:00 I would been out in two.

They close front door from 12:00 to 1:00 so if you are headed to the Immigration it would be best to avoid lunch hour.

For the 90day report, they didn't even give you the number.

You wait in line and they stamp it right there on the spot, you don't have to wait to get your passport back.

And another thing is that they don't have the counter anymore so you don't have the idiots hanging around the counter anymore.

Are there staff to greet you and point you in the right direction at the "south" door, or are they only at the main "east" door?

Yes, there were 3 or 4 people at the front door entrance who steered me to Room 1.

One inside Room 1 there were several people telling you which counter to get the proper queue number from.

All very efficient.

Twin

Yes. That would be the South entry. Thanks.

Thank you, Twin and Lopburi3. That's the confirmation I needed before moving the placemark on

Google Maps to the South entrance, which I have now done:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&i...mp;t=h&z=17

After a closer look at the map I now see that there is indeed a driveway leading up to that entrance.

--

Maestro

Thank you, Twin and Lopburi3. That's the confirmation I needed before moving the placemark on

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&i...mp;t=h&z=17

After a closer look at the map I now see that there is indeed a driveway leading up to that entrance.

--

Maestro

Thank you for the map. Very useful. And thanks go to everyone else for their reports, especially Twin.

--

Maestro

Thank you for the map. Very useful. And thanks go to everyone else for their reports, especially Twin.

Yes, thanks to everyone for making this easier. I drove there 2 days ago without any problems.

Small points:

- the CAT building, which is an excellent warning landmark for Soi 7, is 1.5km from the left turn under the Chaeng Wattana flyover which is itself under the Don Mueang expressway. There are green painted signs 'Immigration Bureau' after the left turn at the flyover, and in front of the CAT building. I didn't spot a sign marked Soi 7, but it's obvious because it's so wide. Go slowly as soon as you see the CAT building tho'

- if you ask Google for directions you get a map which shows a route into the complex by going past Soi 7 and making a left turn further down Chaeng Wattana Road. This seems misleading to me. I couldn't see how that route would actually go into the huge compound, which seemed to be fenced in all down its West side. Head for Soi 7 !

- When leaving the compound you have to use the Soi 7 route; the circuit won't at the moment let you exit at the north-west corner

- Chaeng Wattana road is a mess with fly-over construction, but by taking a left turn out of Soi 7, and going along Chaeng Wattana road to the next freeway, also a left turn (to come back into BKK) I found the traffic flowing easily on my side of the road (2pm), whereas it was choked up West to East.

- 90 day report took 10 minutes.

A friend who lives in Nonthaburi, near Nichada just went to Chaengwattana for her 90 day. She said they handed her a slip with the address of where Nonthaburi residents will eventually need to go, but it's not open yet, so she did her report at Chaengwattana with no problem. They didn't tell her when the Nonthaburi office would be open. The Nonthaburi office is across the river.

Did the 90 day today. 30 minutes/120 baht in taxi from Chok Chai 4 (almost as fast as Rasa Tower). Taxi did not have a clue where Soi 7 was but as said immediately after passing CAT. If coming from the other direction you have to make a U-turn beyond CAT so CAT is the landmark for left turn into Soi 7 (I also did not notice any soi sign). Had taxi go to South entry and about six taxi waiting there at 1000. Rather than Queue desk you can go directly to counter 1 a few meters to the right and queue to leave passport/TM.47. Took about 5 minutes with six in queue. You are given a pickup queue tag and told to wait a position 2 (end of counter and general seating near). Took about 10 minutes and lady was calling numbers in English. There is easy one-way exit directly from that area without going through the entry passage again. Took care of bank accounts in Bangkok Bank and SCB - both of which seemed happy to serve - in the lower are. At 1100 departure no taxi at South entry and got last one at East door. Believe most only wait a few minutes as they are not sure if they will get a fare soon or not. Exit is slow from Soi 7 getting onto Chiang Wattana but once on making a u-turn to head East was not a problem as only a few hundred meters to a place under the overpass.

Did my 90 reporting yesterday and got nothing but good things to say about the new place.

Much larger and less cramped... plenty of parking... plenty of sitting room... the airconditioning works well... looks like everything is well origanized and running smoothly.

Just want to add... in and out for 90 day report in less than 30 MIN

Edited by CWMcMurray

I did the trip today, from Sukhumvit Soi 22 and back the cab was 210 each way plus 45 baht each way for tolls.

I arrived at 12:15 so had a 45 minute wait, but downstairs there is a nice food court, couple of coffee places and a bunch of shops to help pass the time.

The building is very impressive and as others have said the staff are helpful.

Although I was the second person to be seen, my process took 90 minutes.

Sean

• 3 weeks later...

If you enter via the East Door (where the shuttle bus stops), you go in to the Great Hall, and turn left as if walking to the South Door, and after a short walk you will see signs on your left saying 'Immigration'

If you enter by the South Door, the Immigration area is directly on your right.

So, if you like, the Immigration section is in the south-east corner of the building.