Where Can A Girl Go...

Shola

Hi ladies,

Despite being here for 5 years I have still yet to stumble upon a decent hairdressers, in the past I have paid astronmical amounts to Tony and Guy but have to say never came away completly satisfied. :o

I usually go for colour and a style cut, my hairs very long which tends to make anyone doing my hair rush through it and not pay attention to detail. (precisly why I won't go back to T & G)

Right now I have roots down to my ears and my hair is in dia need of a cut, I'm just wary about who I should choose. I have had a couple of nightmare haircuts in the past herepullhair.gif

So anywhere in Bkk?

Anyone been to the swanky ones in Emporium??

Edited by Shola

Funny Shola, I had a great cut at T&G. Been there twice and been very happy both times. Color is a different matter, but then I have problems with this at home too. My hair is totally gray (went gray at 27 :o ) and have been coloring ever since. So, not only is my hair gray but really dry from all the coloring so it absorbs color like nobody ever believes. I always end up with my hair too dark. Easier to just do it myself, after all this time.

but i would be interested in hearing others suggestions too!

I'm also looking around for where to get my hair done (infact, I was just going to post this very same question this week). I'm blond, but I have highlights to freshen it up, not an all over colouring. And I'd hate to have to do it myself as it's just too much 'keeping the arms in the air' if you know what I mean. Also, I'm sporting a perm to fight the humidity.

Any suggestions? I haven't tried anywhere yet and it's getting to 'that' stage.

desi

Saisuda on Sukhumvit 49 (near Samitivej Hospital) is where I go. A cut is 500 baht and my hightlights cost 2000. They are very friendly, speak English, and know how to do Western hair (for lack of a better term). I have curly hair and need all of the volume I can get and love going there because they don't try to make my hair flat and straight.

Wow, that is good, usually they blow dry the heck out of my hair just to make it straight. One time I had two girls on each side of my head pulling my hair straight all the while aiming high heat blow dryers at me. Then they hairsprayed my hair to the point of not moving. When I got back my husband almost didn't recognize me. I had to shower just to get my hair back to normal! But then, the guy I had a Toni & Guys also didn't blow my hair straight. In fact, he even used a diffuser to pump up the volume and curl abit!

Saisuda on Sukhumvit 49 (near Samitivej Hospital) is where I go. A cut is 500 baht and my hightlights cost 2000. They are very friendly, speak English, and know how to do Western hair (for lack of a better term). I have curly hair and need all of the volume I can get and love going there because they don't try to make my hair flat and straight.

I'm the opposite, wimpy blond hair but still need the fluff.

is 2000 baht the norm for highlights? i want to get just a few streaks put in so i don't look like i have helmet head (i have dark hair in a bob cut), but 2000 baht for that seems rather high. i can do it myself if i can find the products- anyone know where i can get ammonia free lightener and toner in BKK?

hey girlx,

for DIY hair product I go to a wholesale/retail professional stuff next to Big C Ratchadamri (just a few meters from the overpass between Isetan (World Plaza)and BigC. Stuff is good and very cheap, lots of choice :o

For hair styling:

my male friend visiting Bkk wanted highlights so I brought him to a new Japanese hair studio that opened next to my place (next to Vanissa Building, Chidlom). My friend is from Singapore and he said they did the best highlight he ever had.

I went there myself last week for hair straightening and the staff is really, really good (I got my hair poorly fried from a previous studio highly recommended by expat's sources / this Japanese studio y made the roots super accurately and even managed to save the rest of my locks for half the price of the first studio)

Really good value for money there :D If you are interested I can PM you the contact.

Hi ladies,

Despite being here for 5 years I have still yet to stumble upon a decent hairdressers, in the past I have paid astronmical amounts to Tony and Guy but have to say never came away completly satisfied.

So anywhere in Bkk?

The short answer is no. Quality is the one of the things you will not get in Thailand.

But I can recommend Afterschool Bar on Soi Cowboy. :o

Hi ladies,

Despite being here for 5 years I have still yet to stumble upon a decent hairdressers, in the past I have paid astronmical amounts to Tony and Guy but have to say never came away completly satisfied.

So anywhere in Bkk?

The short answer is no. Quality is the one of the things you will not get in Thailand.

But I can recommend Afterschool Bar on Soi Cowboy. :D

Unless you are a fan of old "all farang women are bisexuals" sbaker, then you are in the wrong forum. I am certainly not interested in going to some place called the afterschool bar for a haircut and color :o

Hi ladies,

So anywhere in Bkk?

Unless you are a fan of old "all farang women are bisexuals" sbaker, then you are in the wrong forum. I am certainly not interested in going to some place called the afterschool bar for a haircut and color :o

You make a fair point.

Nevertheless, I recommend Afterschool Bar on Soi Cowboy. :D

Hi ladies,

So anywhere in Bkk?

You make a fair point.

Nevertheless, I recommend Afterschool Bar on Soi Cowboy. :D

duly noted.

• 2 months later...

Hi Elle_bkk,

could you kindly PM me the addy for it please?

Many thanks in advance! :D

Preceptor

hey girlx,

for DIY hair product I go to a wholesale/retail professional stuff next to Big C Ratchadamri (just a few meters from the overpass between Isetan (World Plaza)and BigC. Stuff is good and very cheap, lots of choice  :o

For hair styling:

my male friend visiting Bkk wanted highlights so I brought him to a new Japanese hair studio that opened next to my place (next to Vanissa Building, Chidlom). My friend is from Singapore and he said they did the best highlight he ever had.

I went there myself last week for hair straightening and the staff is really, really good (I got my hair poorly fried from a previous studio highly recommended by expat's sources / this Japanese studio y made the roots super accurately and even managed to save the rest of my locks for half the price of the first studio)

Really good value for money there  :D  If you are interested I can PM you the contact.

Hi

I can recommend a really excellent hairdresser, but it's pricey. It's Franck on Sukhumvit Soi 43 and the number is 02 662 7967. Franck is french and he works with Rob who is from the UK. I've cut my hair with Rob and it was the best haircut I've had here in Bangkok. Apparently they're excellent with colour too. Plus the environment is lovely.

Another one you may consider which is considerably cheaper and I get my hair coloured with them (800 baht and they blend colours to get the right shade for you) is Schwing and the hairdresser is Nikki on Soi Lang Suan and the telephone number is 02 251 7727. Nikki used to work in Beverly Hills for a long time and he's popular with the American Embassy staff.

Hope that helps!

What is pricey? Sounds like a good idea to me (next time I am in bkk that is). I have to color my hair (premature grey :o ) and highlights never work (always come out orange), it would be good to go to a good colorist.

And then compare it to what a good colorist and stylist would go for back home and it is definitely worth it! I paid $175 US last year to get my color corrected (after seeing a Thai colorist and it came out too dark) and a hair cut. And that wasn't including the tip! Next time I am in Bangkok I will give them a try, do you need an appointment or is it ok to walk in?

Just to mention I went to the Shiseido hair studio in Emporium with Lola a couple of weeks back and we both got fab cuts, OK it was 900 Baht but well worth it. I then cheated and bought hair colour and done it myself at home!

I'm now Totally Brunette! :o

Another one you may consider which is considerably cheaper and I get my hair coloured with them (800 baht and they blend colours to get the right shade for you) is Schwing and the hairdresser is Nikki on Soi Lang Suan and the telephone number is 02 251 7727. Nikki used to work in Beverly Hills for a long time and he's popular with the American Embassy staff.

Hope that helps!

Hey girls, after reading through the suggestions here and calling several, I took the leap and went with Nikki. He's wonderful. I felt totally at ease with his suggestions and said "go with it". And let me tell you, after having years of bad hair cuts and colour in Asia, this is NOT something I do lightly. I'm very happy with the results and will continue to be spoilt rotten by Nikki :-)

Btw - the haircut is 800 baht. Colour, highlights, etc are a different/higher price but still cheaper than a hair college I checked on.

thanks SmartFish! I now feel 'safe' in Thailand.

desi

• 1 year later...

Hope that helps!

Hey girls, after reading through the suggestions here and calling several, I took the leap and went with Nikki. He's wonderful. I felt totally at ease with his suggestions and said "go with it". And let me tell you, after having years of bad hair cuts and colour in Asia, this is NOT something I do lightly. I'm very happy with the results and will continue to be spoilt rotten by Nikki :-)

Btw - the haircut is 800 baht. Colour, highlights, etc are a different/higher price but still cheaper than a hair college I checked on.

thanks SmartFish! I now feel 'safe' in Thailand.

desi

Here's just one more option: From eljeque's Mom

Somsak Ruanchang on Yaek (soi) 5 where it crosses Soi 36 at Sukumvit. Call for further directions.

For a number of years, Somsak was the hairdresser to the Miss Thailand Universe competitions, and to many Thai celebrities while he operated a very busy salon at the Imperial Queen's Park Hotel on Soi 22/Sukumvit. A number of articles also appeared about him in upscale magazines. He has since downsized and besides operating his small salon, he remains sought after as hair stylist for television commercials in Australia, Malaysia, and India. He continues to maintain a list of impressive clients at his smaller salon and is very well-respected in the hairdressing community. I have been seeing him for 10 years and he is always my first and last stop if I only have a little while in Thailand. 02-661-3548 FAX: (02) 661-3549

Prices: Will vary depending on the length of one's hair.

A4 salon and lounge on siam square soi 6.... very quality work there.

Or if you want to go where the stars go, it's in on Rama 4 just past silom in the building next to robinsons (the highrise with the crappy mall inside)... i can get you the details for that one, but it's very pricey.... but all work prior to any hair commercial advertisements are done here. PM me if you want the details, it really is the best in the business as known in the entertainment circle, but for you I'd say A4 is quite good enough.

I agree with SmartFish70 about Shwing salon! Went there 2 weeks ago and was very satisfied! Paid 2500B for full head highlights and long hair cut. This salon was recommended by many people on the Forum, so I went to try, and they are absolutely right!!! A bit far from BTS stop, though. I find the price very reasonable, considering the quality of work.

Two thumbs up! :o