Starting A Bar In Bohput

Yes, just like everybody else, I have just returned from Samui and I'm looking for a way to live there.

We have been there 3 times now for several weeks at a time and fall in love with the places everytime we go.

Now, me and my partner tought of an idea to open a bar in Bohput. It wouldn't be run of the mill but I can't really tell you our idea incase some else tries this aswell!! :o

I think it would be possible as there isn't a bar like this on Samui. We love Bohput as a location as it isn't as bussy as Chaweng.

I read in a thread before that people treat bars as a "hang -out" so again with our idea, if it works i think people will travel from Chaweng to Bohput as it isn't that far anyway!!!

Now can anybody tell me prices of buying a bar there, leases, keymoney etc.

Also if we were to rent a bar, can we change the interior completely or will it have to stay the same as when we rent it?

Also, I'm not expecting to make a lot of money but just to cover costs and enough to live on. Can anybody tell me what you could make in a bar?

Any tips, advice will be greatly appreciated!! :D

Thanks, Isabel

Isn't Samui great!

For tourists.

I loved the place to death. Now i live and work there. The beaches are normal, most are dirty. The many tourists get to your nerves. Have to work long hours, no time to do the things i loved when i was just touristing the place.

Be aware that a bar can demand a lot of time, and i do mean A LOT of time. So much so that you don't have time for anything else but sleep.

I have an internetcafe and the hours are long. Long because you have to earn the money in high season. Employees are terrible. Your customers will know and stay away.

Think about this very very carefully. Don't be blinded by its "paradise" feeling. That will last a few weeks. Then you start to see that this "paradise" is being destroyed right before your eyes. And you can do nothing about it.

I think what you will have to do is when making plans, plan for your free time. Don't let business eat up al of it. You'll get grumpy and miss enjoying this island and missing al the things you were initially attracted to.

And to tell you the truth, You are simply NOT ready after a few weeks visit. Stay here for at least six month. Experience the place in low season. You'll wonder where all the people are, and how to make a living. Th eplace IS reaaly different in low and high season. Experience this first because it is a major factor in deciding what location will be good.

Expect to pay premium prices on good locations. Owners are a greedy bunch and many of them are dreaming of high prices. If tourists are your public stay with the known places. Chaweng is very busy, tourists concentrate only on a small strecth of the beach road. A little south or north of this and your earnings will be dramatically different. KNOW where this place is, go there and get the feeling for it.

You said Bophut, so i expect you will be catering for people who live there, don't expect too many tourists, or you have to have a really fantastic idea. Then pulling people will be no problem and you can choose a little bit cheaper location.

I don't know your ages, but starting a business is not easy unless one of you is a Thai. Many hurdles have to be taken. Know all of these hurdles before you spend any money.

I wish you the best of luck, but don't skip the six month trial period. It is really an eyeopener.

Jean

Isn't Samui great!

For tourists.

I loved the place to death. Now i live and work there. The beaches are normal, most are dirty. The many tourists get to your nerves. Have to work long hours, no time to do the things i loved when i was just touristing the place.

Be aware that a bar can demand a lot of time, and i do mean A LOT of time. So much so that you don't have time for anything else but sleep.

I have an internetcafe and the hours are long. Long because you have to earn the money in high season. Employees are terrible. Your customers will know and stay away.

Think about this very very carefully. Don't be blinded by its "paradise" feeling. That will last a few weeks. Then you start to see that this "paradise" is being destroyed right before your eyes. And you can do nothing about it.

I think what you will have to do is when making plans, plan for your free time. Don't let business eat up al of it. You'll get grumpy and miss  enjoying this island and missing al the things you were initially attracted to.

And to tell you the truth, You are simply NOT ready after a few weeks visit. Stay here for at least six month. Experience the place in low season. You'll wonder where all the people are, and how to make a living. Th eplace IS reaaly different in low and high season. Experience this first because it is a major factor in deciding what location will be good.

Expect to pay premium prices on good locations. Owners are a greedy bunch and many of them are dreaming of high prices. If tourists are your public stay with the known places. Chaweng is very busy, tourists concentrate only on a small strecth of the beach road. A little south or north of this and your earnings will be dramatically different. KNOW where this place is, go there and get the feeling for it.

You said Bophut, so i expect you will be catering for people who live there, don't expect too many tourists, or you have to have a really fantastic idea. Then pulling people will be no problem and you can choose a little bit cheaper location.

I don't know your ages, but starting a business is not easy unless one of you is a Thai. Many hurdles have to be taken. Know all of these hurdles before you spend any money.

I wish you the best of luck, but don't skip the six month trial period. It is really an eyeopener.

Jean

I agree ... especially low season can be very low . I'm thinking also about moving there but not for the moment because i know all the hurdles which need to be taken and i don't want to take large risks . When you do the bar as a extra , just to keep busy , no problem , you need it for the living ... be carefull what to do . Prices of renting a bar aren't very big , let's say that probably your interior will cost you more ( depending on location and size ) . Take the 6 month trial period from july till januari and see how you can make money back then .

I agree with the trial period first, just to get the feel for the place where you want to do business. I'm sorry to say that I've seen so many come here and start

up a business and fail, I'm not saying this will happen to you.

It's just there are so many hurdles when starting up, especially if you don't

have a Thai partner to ease the way for you. Key money is usually required

and it can be rediculous. Like khun jean said the owners of property and

land have got very greedy after seeing the influx of tourists.

If you are going to run the bar yourselves then get the right visas,

work permits and company papers before your opening date, this can be expensive aswell.

Ask in the other sections for costs on these, I'm sure someone will help you

out.

Give us some more info and we can proberly help you out more.

Good Luck

Noodles

Thanks very much for all of your nice replies! It is much appreciated and have taken all of your comments on board.

We are going back to Samui next Januari for 2 months to talk to people who have a bar there, check out locations and basically get as much information as possible.

About the trial period, we are considering coming over for 1 year but we still have a business at home that needs to be taken care off! ( and thats not that easy!)

We would like to keep our business at home running, so we always have something to fall back on, if things don't work out in Samui.

About what Jean was saying about make sure you plan for free time, I strongly agree with that. We are not planning to make heaps of money and work our life away.

Ideally I would just like to open the bar from 5 o'clock in the evening so we have the day for ourselves. I figure most people are on the beach or on a day trip anyway. ( but again I don't know if that would be possible)

We can still consider times etc when it comes to it.

It would just be a small bar so we can run it by ourselves and we don't need staff.

I guess I also have to find out about visas, workpermits etc.

Bohput or Lamai would be the locations as it is more low key and probably not so expensive.

We have got a very good friend in Samui who is Thai, we known her for 3 years now and has a business of her own.

You mentioned before if you have thai friend they can help, could you maybe tell us how ?

Again thanks very much and if you need moer info just let me know,

Kind regards Isabel

Yes Samuis lovely and bophuts pretty.

Quite a few old expats in the area and a few younger guys who have done quite well in property development.

They all tend to hang mainly in the dark dingy english style pubs ,and play pool etc ,Couple of places do well there,the Billabong Aussie pub is well set up and has its good and bad days,and some of the restaurants that can command premium prices do well in the high season.

I would say you definitely need a concept or theme.

Dont rely on the expat trade,they are on a budget if they are retired.

You need to focus on high quality food,drinks etc and with an edge that gets the tourists.

What kind of money do you want to invest?

Yes, just like everybody else, I have just returned from Samui and I'm looking for a way to live there.

We have been there 3 times now for several weeks at a time and fall in love with the places everytime we go.

Now, me and my partner tought of an idea to open a bar in Bohput. It wouldn't be run of the mill but I can't really tell you our idea incase some else tries this aswell!! :o

I think it would be possible as there isn't a bar like this on Samui. We love Bohput as a location as it isn't as bussy as Chaweng.

I read in a thread before that people treat bars as a "hang -out" so again with our idea, if it works i think people will travel from Chaweng to Bohput as it isn't that far anyway!!!

Now can anybody tell me prices of buying a bar there, leases, keymoney etc.

Also if we were to rent a bar, can we change the interior completely or will it have to stay the same as when we rent it?

Also, I'm not expecting to make a lot of money but just to cover costs and enough to live on. Can anybody tell me what you could make in a bar?

Any tips, advice will be greatly appreciated!! :D

Thanks, Isabel

A well run bar requires an owner to be there every open hour. Partnerships are difficult to start with but without a trusted partner paradise will quickly become a ball and chain. Your chances of being happy running a bar are slim to none. IMHO!

You will need Thai staff. You can "run" a bar, but you cannot work in it youself. This is work that is reserved for Thais, so you cannot get a work-permit for it.

you can get a work permit for a bar!where do you get your info from?

Yes I have alot of friends that are or have at sometime work

in bars restaurants. You will need to set a company up and get all

the company papers in order. Then you take all this with bank a/c

documents to a Thai consulate to arrange your non immigrant B visa,

and then you apply for your work permit.

There have to be a certain amount of thais working for he company

aswell....I think! Like I mentioned before Isabel this may be expensive

for you.....on top of key money, rent, electric, accomodation, wages for

staff, monthly tax....I think there maybe an accountants fee aswell.

Like you said if you have a good thai friend on the island they may be able

to help you out conciderbly.

Hope I'm not putting you off :o

allow me to mention that your (desired) "free" time b4 five pm is nothing else but .... a dream! Who's gonna supervise the bar stock? Who's gonna supervise the cleaning? Who's gonna supervise (###### important) advertisment procedures? Who's gonna get in touch with potential customers? Who's gonna check, double-check, triple-check your accounting? ............. YOU !!!!!!!!!

Anyway, wish you good luck and success. IF you really gonna open a nice, no-girlie, no 08-15, no sh1t-music-like-any-other - bar I might be one of your frequent customers any time I have the time to come...

allow me to mention that your (desired) "free" time b4 five pm is nothing else but .... a dream! Who's gonna supervise the bar stock? Who's gonna supervise the cleaning? Who's gonna supervise (###### important) advertisment procedures? Who's gonna get in touch with potential customers? Who's gonna check, double-check, triple-check your accounting? ............. YOU !!!!!!!!!

Anyway, wish you good luck and success. IF you really gonna open a nice, no-girlie, no 08-15, no sh1t-music-like-any-other - bar I might be one of your frequent customers any time I have the time to come...

Hi there,

Our plans are indeed to open a bar that is different from the rest, we have got good ideas concerning music, interior etc, so if it all takes off I'll let you know and you can come have a drink!

I know myself about the freetime that it will be impossible, at least in the beginning, but a girl has to dream!

Does anybody know a website where I can get legal info what you need to do, to be able to open a bar. For example what the laws are, how many thai people need to be employed etc?

Thanks Isabel :o

Isabel,

A part from all good advices and words of wisdom from the forum members I whish you good luck in your decision.

But dont make any hasty decision. It may be better to work your butt off at home and them spend some relaxing weeks or months abroad (Samui)

//JI

it is not a normal busniess environment

agents , landlords , suppliers , lawyers , jealous rivals , police , immigration , phone companies , electric companies , water companies and more jealous rivals have perfected the art of separating foriegners from their capital in the shortest possible time and ensuring that your business does not become too succesful.

like taking sweets from a child.

business on samui is a law unto itself.

research everything very well and then research it again before you do it.

and make sure you have a viable plan B researched too.

so many have come here and left with their tail between their legs.

less than a handful succeed.

dont rush into this.

sunbelt asia have a website with lists of businesses for sale . lots of bars and restaurants .

good legal and immigration advice from them too i've heard.

• 2 weeks later...

So... you love Bophut because it is peaceful and not as busy as Chaweng - so you want to open a bar and encourage people from Chaweng to visit thereby make Bophut busy like Chaweng.

Thanks a lot Isabel

As one long term Bophut resident I hope your plan does not succeeed