'red October'- Red Shirts Plan Major Rallies

baht&sold

The quesation is when will Thaksin feel despearate enough to pump

a last large chunk of cash into a rally and let his acolytes loose off the leash?

He specifically held off last time, saying he was waiting for a better moment.

As the assets trial winds up or down, so will wind up his nervousness, and sense of impotence.

He doesn't deal with impotence too well based on past observations....

I can bet that Abhisit's UN speech put Thaksin off his feed for a day. :D

There were several reports that the money has been brought in for some purpose.

When will that 'push come to shove', or is it, 'putcsh come to shove'?

good thing. A good economic stimulus package, give 100.000 poor people 500 Baht each.

They spend it for lao kao or beer chang, the local shop owners buy new motorbikes with the profit.

lao kao, beer chang and motorbike factories need more staff.

the new staff buys beer chang and new motorbikes.....

Part of his stolen money goes back to the Thai people.

simply brilliant! :)

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The next few months are going to be interesting. There is far too much going on for it to be otherwise and already the manouvers are starting. ASEAN, Asset seizure case, police chief, governor reshuffle, constittuional change and potentially other stuff. And everyone is readying for an election just in case and then there is the military.

I tend to think the red shirts are here to stay by the way, and the yellow shirts too although support for both may rise and fall depending on how things develop.

Be interesting to see how the rallies in October go or if anything happens

Peaceful protests inline with civil order are a good way to vent your feelings... let's hope these rallies stay this way, like the last. :)

Last time Thaksin didn't pay much, no money-no trouble

Are you discussing Abhisit's recent 'stimulus package' to hand money out to the masses, H90? :)

That also stimulated the economic. People also had to wait all the day in the sun/rain to get the money.

Just they could wear any color. It was also the tax payers money.

It was meant to make the government popular.

While Thaksins was meant to make his future government.

A cynical person can think it is similar.

Next red-shirt rally to be held on Oct 17

The red shirts plan to organise their next political rally on October 17 to mark the 60 days of their submission of a petition for royal pardon to fugitive expremier Thaksin Shinawatra.

appears to me like a cult.... petition memorial day

Next red-shirt rally to be held on Oct 17

The red shirts plan to organise their next political rally on October 17 to mark the 60 days of their submission of a petition for royal pardon to fugitive expremier Thaksin Shinawatra.

appears to me like a cult.... petition memorial day

The Great Thaksin the Magnificent shall return to Thailand. :)

Plus asked me about my support for the red shirts. I have don't have strong feelings of support for the red shirts; it's much more based in my dislike for the yellow shirts and their antics at Gov't House and the airport and their impunity and arrogance in treating BKK like it was a private fiefdom. When that behavior is allowed, common sense tells you that those who are against it will try the same thing.

The treatment of the reds has been significantly different. This I think is wrong.

It is more about their right to participate in the gov't process and it's about the gov't treating all it's citizens the same way.

I have no particular fondness for Thaksin, and I don't believe it would be wise for him to return in any political capacity. I don't believe that coups are the proper vehicle for changing the gov't and I don't see the coup as having produced any good lasting effect.

I am not Thai, and basically, I would like to see the Thai people decide their future in a democratic manner. I would like to see the rule of law applied evenly to everyone.

I do, however, admire the tenacity and conviction with which many posters have.

Up where?

Upcountry.

Most upper northern provinces and almost all of Isaarn have weekly Red Shirt events, from provincial level down to village meetings. But you don't read much about that.

Might be in a village in the Udon Thani area next month. Will keep an eye out for the local Red Shirt meeting there...

Especially in Udon it should not be difficult at all to see a local Red Shirt meeting as Udon is one of the most politicized provinces.

Up where?

Upcountry.

Most upper northern provinces and almost all of Isaarn have weekly Red Shirt events, from provincial level down to village meetings. But you don't read much about that.

Might be in a village in the Udon Thani area next month. Will keep an eye out for the local Red Shirt meeting there...

Especially in Udon it should not be difficult at all to see a local Red Shirt meeting as Udon is one of the most politicized provinces.

Pardon me but I believe that's what the poster said (in different words). Again, I don't mean to interpose or suppose.

a last large chunk of cash into a rally and let his acolytes loose off the leash?

As the assets trial winds up or down, so will wind up his nervousness, and sense of impotence.

good thing. A good economic stimulus package, give 100.000 poor people 500 Baht each.

They spend it for lao kao or beer chang, the local shop owners buy new motorbikes with the profit.

simply brilliant! :)

1899123093221x.jpg

1899123010576.jpg

...It is more about their right to participate in the gov't process

The issue of double standards has been discussed to death, but this is a new turn.

What right to participate in govt process should they have? Normally it's done via their elected representatives in parliament.

And if people take to the streets, they should present some reasonable demands, something the govt could really do for them.

Return of 1997 constitution is impossible, certainly not when the amendments to 2007 version are being hotly debated in parliament.

They can demand speedy processing of their petition, that's a reasonable demand, though it has always been a non-starter, and they have changed it from pardon petition to airing of grievances. They've been told time and time again that it won't work, the only speedy solution would be to burn it tomorrow.

They can demand speedy processing of their petition, that's a reasonable demand, though it has always been a non-starter, and they have changed it from pardon petition to airing of grievances. They've been told time and time again that it won't work, the only speedy solution would be to burn it tomorrow.

The interesting details here are that the ones who have been shouting loudest that "it won't work", and that they would impose on the monarchy, dragging the institution down into politics were the ones who in 2006 made a petition themselves asking to have Thaksin removed, and replaced with a royally appointed Prime Minister. This petition though did not work indeed - it was shot down by the King himself during a televised address to the judiciary.

And the very interesting part that those have also forgotten is, that an elementary and maybe most defining aspect of the relationship between monarchy and people here in Thailand, according to Thai state ideology, is that every citizen of Thailand has the right to petition the king. This, as every Thai child learns in school, dates back to King Ramkanghaeng, in front of whose palace was a bell that anybody with a grievance can ring, and his problems will be attended to.

The fascinating explanation by those that told the Red Shirts not to petition the king was that only "puyai" were supposed to do this.

Quod licet Iovi non licet bovi... :)

Edited by justanothercybertosser

Pardon me but I believe that's what the poster said (in different words). Again, I don't mean to interpose or suppose.

Yes, of course. You just have nothing to say, but need to say something anyhow and regardless.

Very understandable. :)

You have such a charming way of stating things.

So now are you going to take the above statement and also quote it out of context, as you did with a statement by me the other day? To do so would be consistent with your shameless attitude of say and do anything.

And if people take to the streets, they should present some reasonable demands, something the govt could really do for them.

How about giving them the right to vote, just for starters. The current administration was not elected by the people. That seems to be a key point the red shirts are making. They are sick to death of the military getting involved and running the country. Red shirts want the military to stop interfering in the democratic process. Don't you think those are reasonable demands?

How about giving them the right to vote, just for starters. The current administration was not elected by the people. That seems to be a key point the red shirts are making. They are sick to death of the military getting involved and running the country. Red shirts want the military to stop interfering in the democratic process. Don't you think those are reasonable demands?

They would be if they were to be believed. However, they are not to be believed. The clear motive of the red shirt movement is to install Thaksin as an undemocratic autocratic leader. Resistance to that is quite rational.

indirect taxation :)

Has anyone seen the "Making Mao" documentary that is presently running on History Channel? In watching it, I began to notice a lot of parallels between the Thai red shirts, and the reds (red guards, etc.) of the Chinese communist movement: the choice of red as their colour, and then the creation of a personality cult around Mao Zetung. Have a look...could Mao privately be a role model for someone out there??

Do you think TRT were "elected by the people", or by money? Why aren't more people "sick to death" of corruption and vote buying by wealthy politicians? Why don't more people think of taking 500 baht for their vote as selling a tiny piece of their own country to a greedy politician who fully intends to make a profit on that investment?

Edited by bubba

The interesting details here are that the ones who have been shouting loudest that "it won't work", and that they would impose on the monarchy, dragging the institution down into politics were the ones who in 2006 made a petition themselves asking to have Thaksin removed, and replaced with a royally appointed Prime Minister. This petition though did not work indeed - it was shot down by the King himself during a televised address to the judiciary.

And the very interesting part that those have also forgotten is, that an elementary and maybe most defining aspect of the relationship between monarchy and people here in Thailand, according to Thai state ideology, is that every citizen of Thailand has the right to petition the king. This, as every Thai child learns in school, dates back to King Ramkanghaeng, in front of whose palace was a bell that anybody with a grievance can ring, and his problems will be attended to.

It's not Sukhotai era anymore and people DO NOT have the right to petition the King.

Previous refusal to appoint a PM to replace Thaksin should give reds a clue about prospects of their petition, in case they presented it as airing of grievances, and Publicus explained it once again why the petition as a pardon request won't work either.

..How about giving them the right to vote, just for starters. The current administration was not elected by the people. That seems to be a key point the red shirts are making....

That doesn't make any sense - all MPs are elected by the people. The election of Abhisit was televised to the whole country, and every MP, elected by the people, had cast his or her vote.

And if reds want the administration to be elected by the people directly and not via their representative in parliament, why do they want to restore 97 constitution that doesn't have any such provisions? It makes no sense whatsoever.

Up where?

Upcountry.

Dont read much about that because of the censored, govt. owned/controlled 'news media'. I don't read these rags,or listen to same case tv and radio broadcasts. I don't get my misinformation in bars or other establishments. I prefer to be out on the streets, mingling and listening to the populace. The Reds are very active around the country, and they are GROWING in numbers.

Up where?

Upcountry.

Dont read much about that because of the censored, govt. owned/controlled 'news media'. I don't read these rags,or listen to same case tv and radio broadcasts. I don't get my misinformation in bars or other establishments. I prefer to be out on the streets, mingling and listening to the populace. The Reds are very active around the country, and they are GROWING in numbers.

So what number will show for each one of the three separate Red October events? You are the authority who's "out on the streets" mingling and listening to the whispers of the rebounding reds who soon will roar again. Enlighten us.

Up where?

Upcountry.

So what number will show for each one of the three separate Red October events? You are the authority who's "out on the streets" mingling and listening to the whispers of the rebounding reds who soon will roar again. Enlighten us.

whispers??? Who said whispers? They are quite open about their views. Authority?? I didn't even hint that I am that, and to set the record straight; I am not a volunteer, nor a paid news correspondent for thaivisa, hence don't try to obligate me to furnish details that you, yourselves can get out there. I just get off my gluteus maximus, get out, interact with the common folks, keep my eyes and ears open and learn.

Upcountry.

whispers??? Who said whispers? They are quite open about their views. Authority?? I didn't even hint that I am that, and to set the record straight; I am not a volunteer, nor a paid news correspondent for thaivisa, hence don't try to obligate me to furnish details that you, yourselves can get out there. I just get off my gluteus maximus, get out, interact with the common folks, keep my eyes and ears open and learn.

So the info you've gathered out there among the "common folks [sic]" is top secret, or is copyrighted or otherwise unavailable to us?!? Your eyes and ears are open but your mouth is closed. Or is there a per word fee? :D

Okay have it your way :) .

I think people will be surprised how much support there is and will be from the north and eastern provinces for the red shirts. From what i can gather speaking to people from there, despite all the Bad aspects of Taksins time in office, we all know these stories, he made substantial diffrencess to the standard of living of many people in these provinces. There were road projects building projects etc all fueling the increase of there standard of living. Many now feel under the present regime that they are going backwards. Lets face it the yellow shirts bassically wanted to reteurn to the old ways with a plentifull supply of cheal labour so they can become even welthier thats why there power is In Bangkok. Sorry but fractured as there policy is and i dont want Taksin back either i think the reds are the ones in the right here most of them want what we all do the right for a good statndard of living.

Forum rule #2

2) Not to express disrespect of the King of Thailand or anyone else in the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family. Discussion of the lese majeste law or lese majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family. To breach this rule will result in immediate ban.

Any further discussion of the Royal Family, past or current, in a political sense will result in a long suspension. This is not up for discussion, or debate, it is the law.

Offending posts were deleted.