Double Entry Tourist Extension

I'd be grateful if anyone can shed any experiences they may have had with this scenario, please...

The expiration of the first of my Double Entry Tourist Visas happens to fall on a Saturday.

I guess I will have to go and request a 30 day extension at Immigration (BKK) on the Friday.

Can anyone advise whether my extension will start from the Friday or the Saturday, please?

Thanking one & all for any input in advance!

Bit of a grey area this one.................my own experience is that the extension will run from the Friday however there have been board members reporting the extension running from when the 60 days are up and not from date of application. In the past i always went a day before anyway just incase you get turned down for the extension then at least you have a day to cross a border.

Can someone explain this to me? I'm an American, currently in America, and I've just applied for my 3 entry, 60 day tourist visa before I make my trip over. Are you saying that I can get re-entries by going to "immigration" instead of having to cross the border? Can someone shed some light on this for me? How does it work?

Also, is there an "immigration" in Chiangmai, or only in Bangkok?

Thanks!

It works like this...

Day 1 (Of 1st Visa) - Enter Thailand

Day 60 (or before) - Go to Immigration and apply for 30 day extension (Cost 1900 Baht)

Day 90 - Leave Thailand (However you wish but got to go out)

Stay out as long as you want... THEN...

Return to Thailand

Day 1 (Of 2nd Visa) - Enter Thailand

Day 60 (or before) - Go to Immigration and apply for 30 day extension (Cost 1900 Baht)

Day 90 - Leave Thailand and go to a country that will re-issue you with a new Double Entry Tourist Visa...

Can someone explain this to me?  I'm an American, currently in America, and I've just applied for my 3 entry, 60 day tourist visa before I make my trip over.  Are you saying that I can get re-entries by going to "immigration" instead of having to cross the border?  Can someone shed some light on this for me?  How does it work?

Also, is there an "immigration" in Chiangmai, or only in Bangkok?

Thanks!

No. What you can do at immigration is obtain a 30 day extension of the 60 day stay at a cost of 1,900 baht allowing 90 days on one entry. Then you would have to cross border to activate a new 60 day stay (entry).

You will have to make up your own mind; keeping in mind the visa validity time of your 3 entry visa and how long you intend to stay. If you only intend to stay six months the 60 days and border crossing probably is best.

Yes, there is immigration in Chiang Mai and there are also border crossings within a day travel.

But remembering that...

In your case you have a Triple Entry Tourist Visa which DOES NOT mean you can do the same thing 3 times! (I think!!!)...

I believe you still only have a maximum of 6 months to utilise all 3 entries.

(That's what I was advised when I asked about that type of Visa at Penang 2 Days ago!!!)...

But you DEFINITELY CAN apply for the 30 day extensions!!!

I'm sorry I cannot advise of any Immigration facilities in Chiang Mai...

ALSO

Apologies I noticed a slight Typo with my last post

Please read: Day 90 - Leave Thailand (However you wish but got to go out)

AS

Day 90 - Leave Thailand (For however long you wish but you MUST go out!)

But remembering that...

In your case you have a Triple Entry Tourist Visa which DOES NOT mean you can do the same thing 3 times! (I think!!!)...

I believe you still only have a maximum of 6 months to utilise all 3 entries.

Almost correct toss.........your right in so far as the entries must be used within the 6 month period however with careful timing if you exit Thailand just before the 6 month period is up you can re-enter Thailand using the third entry and thereby can stay for close to 9 months with 1 final 30 day extension.

The thing to realise is that although the visa has reached the end of its validity after 6 months providing you re-enter the final time before expiry of the visa you can stay on for a further 60+ 30 days.

Edited by thaiflyer1

Also beware of a new little detail: your visa now expires 3 months after purchase,(for double entries anyway) either you've already entered thailand or not.....So make sure to re-enter thailand before visa expiry date as oppose to permission of stay expiry date...Otherwise you'll get a "sorry visa u expy" from mthe immigration officer.....

Edited by Miaow

Also beware of a new little detail: your visa  now expires 3 months after purchase,(for double entries anyway) either you've already entered thailand or not.....So make sure to re-enter thailand before visa expiry date as oppose to permission of stay expiry date...Otherwise you'll get a "sorry visa u expy" from mthe immigration officer.....

A single entry is valid for 3 months but i think you/ll find a double entry or better is valid for 6 months from date of issue.

Edit............Miaow where did you get this information? Anybody else heard about double entries only being valid for 3 months?

Edited by thaiflyer1

Also beware of a new little detail: your visa  now expires 3 months after purchase,(for double entries anyway) either you've already entered thailand or not.....So make sure to re-enter thailand before visa expiry date as oppose to permission of stay expiry date...Otherwise you'll get a "sorry visa u expy" from mthe immigration officer.....

A single entry is valid for 3 months but i think you/ll find a double entry or better is valid for 6 months from date of issue.

Well i bought my last visa sept 15th and entered thailand sept 29th...got the usual automatic 2 months on arrival, nov 26 went for extension of 30 days valid until dec 24, BUT, had to leave Thailand before dec 15th as this was it's expiry date..... Usually double entries could be used within 6 months of purchase....But apparently not any more, according to my visa' expiry date and to the immigration officer....

Thanks thaiflyer1... I stand corrected BUT that isn't how Khun Immigration Man advertises it in Penang!

However, It does mean you have to do 3 Visa runs... Correct?

Also, I'd be interested in knowing the exact timing you mention...

Also, Can you advise what the "Enter Before" refers to, as the Visa issued the other day says...

Date of Issue: 22 Mar 2005

Enter Before: 21 Sep 2005

i.e. 6 Months

(Unlike a previous Non-Imm 'B', this Double Entry Tourist doesn't have an expiry date)...

Well i bought my last visa sept 15th and entered thailand sept 29th...got the usual automatic 2 months on arrival, nov 26 went for extension of 30 days valid until dec 24, BUT, had to leave Thailand before dec 15th as this was it's expiry date..... Usually double entries could be used within 6 months of purchase....But apparently not any more, according to my visa' expiry date and to the immigration officer....

Miaow i can only think they have entered the incorrect expiry date on your visa............As you/ll see from toss's post he has been given 6 month expiry for visa issued 22 March 2005.

That's my point Thaiflyer1, Have I been given a 6 month expiry or 6 months before I have to enter in the first instance and then I could utilise the Double Entry after that... Very grey if you ask me as opposed to an ACTUAL expiry date being written on my Visa!?!

However, It does mean you have to do 3 Visa runs... Correct?

Also, I'd be interested in knowing the exact timing you mention...

Also, Can you advise what the "Enter Before" refers to, as the Visa issued the other day says...

Date of Issue:  22 Mar 2005

Enter Before:  21 Sep 2005

i.e. 6 Months

(Unlike a previous Non-Imm 'B', this Double Entry Tourist doesn't have an expiry date)...

Only 2 runs one after 90 days and one after 180 days (or thereabouts)..........if you go for a new triple entry lets say to Penang then it would be 3 runs if you include the initial run to obtain the visa.

The enter before date is the expiry date of the visa............i have old visas issued in Penang with "valid until" written on, all much of a muchness.

In your case lets say you enter 23 March you get 60 days and extend incountry by 30 days that puts you at the 20th of June, so you cross a border on the 20th June and return immediatly using the second entry and recieve a further 60 days stay which you extend by 30 days locally this would take you to the 18th sept...............now if you had a triple entry visa you could exit on the 18th and re-enter using the 3rd entry and stay a further 60+30 days even though the visa expired on the 21st Sept. Effectively the visa is "dead" once you use the third entry and has no bearing upon your stay in the country.

Miaow i can only think they have entered the incorrect expiry date on your visa............As you/ll see from toss's post he has been given 6 month expiry for visa issued 22 March 2005.

There has always been an expiry date on every double entry tourist visas i've purchased..Usually had to used the second entry at the latest 6 months after date of purchase, but this year i was sruck to see that this time was shortened in half...Noticed that detail dec 12, visa was expiring dec 15 but had permission of stay until around dec 24...So went to the immigration office and got told that was

recently introduced, the lady told me i could stay in thailand until dec 24 if i wished, BUT that i couldn't use my second entrty as it would have expire by then...Don't know about triple entries though......

That's my point Thaiflyer1, Have I been given a 6 month expiry or 6 months before I have to enter in the first instance and then I could utilise the Double Entry after that... Very grey if you ask me as opposed to an ACTUAL expiry date being written on my Visa!?!

Sorry i/m missing something here....................once the visa is issued you can enter Thailand immediatley, youve been given 6 months expiry...........The 6 months runs from date of issue.....i.e you have 6 months to use it and all the entries on it.

So went to the immigration office and got told that was

recently introduced, the lady told me i could stay in thailand until dec 24 if i wished, BUT that i couldn't use my second entrty as it would have expire by then...Don't know about triple entries though......

This goes contrary to toss's post his visa was issued this month and it has a 6 month validity..........something tells me she fobbed you off ......strange.

So went to the immigration office and got told that was

This goes contrary to toss's post his visa was issued this month and it has a 6 month validity..........something tells me she fobbed you off ......strange.

Yeah i found it strange myself but couldn't deny at the same time the expiry date stamped from the thai embassy in Canada...But anyway, Thai application or interpretation of the law seem to vary from one to another, pointless to argue or try to understand , so anyway, i just left before the 15th and activated my second entry....lost 2 weeks according to the original life of my visa but just went to myanmar for an extra month.....

But my point is that either it was a mistake or not, That just how it was so just make sure to double check the expiry date before re-entering....

Any validity over three months is at the discretion of the issuing office as per this quote from the Royal Thai Embassy in Washington wed site:

VALIDITY OF VISA :-

Visa has a 3-month validity and , as a result, must be utilized within 3 months as from the date of issue (more than 3-month up to 1-year validity of visa may be granted on a case-by-case basis if more than one or multiple entry visa is issued.)

Can anyone advise whether my extension will start from the Friday or the Saturday, please?

From my today experience, in Immigration Office in Bangkok :

my visa was going to expire on next sunday (in 2 days).

I got 30 more days from sunday, not from today.

more details about my run in the office here :

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...38entry310238