Anyone Spotted Skippy Natural Peanut Butter In Chiang Mai Lately?

Ulysses G.

Anyone spotted Skippy Natural Peanut Butter in Chiang Mai lately? It has no hydrogonated oils, but stays solid because it is mixed with natuaral palm oil.

Bangkok and Pattaya sell it everywhere, but I can't find it in CM now. Have you seen it around?

There are new bottles from China that only say "soy bean oil", but Skippy has always been hydrogenated to keep the oil from separating, so my guess is that in China, you do not have to declare it as "hydrogenated soy bean oil'. It is not saturated enough to keep from separating.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Palm oil ain't exactly good for you either. I eat Healthy Mate peanut butter (bought at Rimping or Tops), which has no added oil. You do have to stir it when you first open the jar, but storing it in the fridge keeps it solid after that. My only gripe is that the jars are too small.

I am sorry I cant help you but I have to tell you that I just bought a peanut butter maker and it is so nice! Natural peanut butter!

Good luck

Anyone spotted Skippy Natural Peanut Butter in Chiang Mai lately? It has no hydrogonated oils, but stays solid because it is mixed with natuaral palm oil.

Bangkok and Pattaya sell it everywhere, but I can't find it in CM now. Have you seen it around?

Palm oil ain't exactly good for you either. I eat Healthy Mate peanut butter (bought at Rimping or Tops), which has no added oil. You do have to stir it when you first open the jar, but storing it in the fridge keeps it solid after that. My only gripe is that the jars are too small.

Supposedly, they have now discovered that natural palm and coconut oil are very good for you, but any kind of hydrogenated oils have trans fats and are terrible.

Rimping Meechok Plaza has boatloads of Skippy. I was just there and saw it on the shelves. S, M, & L sizes.

Is it Natural Skippy with a brown label, instead of blue, that says "Natural"? The blue label has hydrogenated oils and is everywhere.

Palm and coconut oils are quite healthy if they are processed properly and not rancidified. For that matter almost all fats can be healthy if handled well. They need to be cold processed and protected from oxidation. Lots of palm and coconut oil are treated with heat and become unhealthy and very pro inflammatory. Of course its more expensive to cold process and store oils.

Just the type of oil is less important than how they are delivered.

Palm and coconut oils are more stable than most oils because they are saturated. They go bad much less easily.

Sure and that's why they are suitable for cooking while others are not but heating Palm and Coconut oils partially or significantly dissapates or destroys some of the valuable components such the caproic, caprylic and capric acids , Vitamin E and other tocopherol all dissipate with heat. In the case of Lauric acid for Coconut oil significantly dissapates. So now an oil which was really healthy is a lot less healthy.

It's why there is such a premium on cold processed Coconut oils in the health food stores and Tops/Rimping.

For health reasons it's important to know but I doubt many people really care. Just avoiding the trans fats is an important first step.

Rimping Meechok Plaza has boatloads of Skippy. I was just there and saw it on the shelves. S, M, & L sizes.

Is it Natural Skippy with a brown label, instead of blue, that says "Natural"? The blue label has hydrogenated oils and is everywhere.

Sorry UG I didn't look too closely, but I seem to recall blue labels.

Thanks for trying. The blue labels are all over the place and I don't think that they have a huge amount of transfats (legally, they are allowed to say that they have none), but I rather avoid them as much as I can.

Transfats are man-made in a lab and seem to be really bad stuff.

One thing about imported peanut butters is that they are a blend of different kinds of peanuts that is much tastier than only using one variety.

I have seen cold processed Red Palm oil in the US as a healthy supplement oil but not sure why it's not offered here. Could be a perception issue and lack of demand. For a long time in the US Palm oil was thought to be about as good as Lard.

Also important to know that Cold pressed and Cold processed are different. With cold pressed they usually still use heat to extract more oil. Not as important with Palm or Coconut oils because they are more stable. With Cold Processed they avoid any heat during the process. Cold Processed oils are the best quality with the most healthy components intact.

~

Okay, I probably shouldn't be laughing but geez, you would have to be really into chowing down a LOT of peanut butter to be worrying about the oils within. :)

Do you perhaps spread jars of it on your fried chicken and hamburger steaks?

I am fortunate in having a wife who is VERY much into the beneficial oils and I have taught her that if you are a bit late in adding ingredients and your oil begins to smoke, dump it and start over.

She is a strict Jain vegetarian but does occasionally buy meat-treats for me but not only restricts me to grilled fish and poultry things but leans WAY over the shoulders of the folks who prepare anything else and walks away if their oils are not quality and fresh or if she can find any evidence whatsoever of MSG in their shop.

Gotta tell ya, she, like me, can smell burned or old oil a block down the street..

I just checked our cupboard and found, much to my dismay, a couple of old jars of red-label Jif and blue-label Skippy. I suppose that I assumed, silly me, that a teaspoon a month of either were not of major concern and I DO restrict their usage only to minimal applications to my occasional banana-bread muffins. I have long been into grinding/crushing my own favorite mix of fresh nuts (cashew, hazel, almond, peanut, Caucasion) so really don't need to be reading the labels in RimPing.

I go in every year for voluntary annual exams and full testing and my blood doc still looks over his glasses at me and remarks that my HDL is right up there but my LDL is in the basement.

Not bad for a guy my age (I just turned 109) but I still look like crap so maybe all this concern over diet is a waste of time?? :D

healthy-living.jpg

haha maybe you have good genetics. But you look like crap? and you want everybody else to look like crap also?

Been reading some reviews of the natural skippy and people seem to rave about the taste. It does have a few grams of sugar per serving but less than the regular brands. Seems to be a lot more enjoyable product than the stir it yourself natural brands.

Okay, I probably shouldn't be laughing but geez, you would have to be really into chowing down a LOT of peanut butter to be worrying about the oils within.

I see what you are getting at, but we are not talking about natural oils, we are talking about transfats that are man-made in a lab and have been totally banned in New York City restaurants.

Hydrogonated oils are really bad stuff. Why eat hazardous chemicals if they are easy to avoid?

Edited by Ulysses G.

it's even a little bit more complicated than that because if its under a threshold of 30% or something of the fats then they can use transfats and label it transfat free. Not exactly clear on the rules but interesting.

edit: not sure if its 30% or 10% but have read people concerned about it... could just be BS or this product might not be bending the rules at all.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

skippynaturalpeanutbutter.jpgIn recent years peanut butter has gotten some mixed attention. Many have lauded its abundance of healthy unsaturated fats, protein, and fiber. However, others have criticized the commercially prepared varieties of peanut butter for its trans fats. Skippy Natural Peanut Butter has eliminated the trans fat from its products. Partially hydrogenated oils no longer appear...

THIS IS IT!

This thread has spurred me to learn more about palm oil, and I'm grateful for that. I knew that saturated fats are more stable and therefore a good choice for cooking, but we're talking about peanut butter here, not cooking. And pretty much all the material I found online claiming actual health benefits of palm oil turns out to come from... people trying to sell palm oil. Surely it's better for Skippy to use cold-processed red palm oil (assuming that's what they're using) than hydrogentated oils. But I don't see how adding saturated fat to an already high-fat product, just to avoid a one-time stir, is a good thing. Come on guys, take a word of advice from Bob Marley (there's my obligatory Chiang Mai connection). Stir it up!

Do you perhaps spread jars of it on your fried chicken and hamburger steaks?

Actually, I mostly use peanut butter to replace meat. That is why I want it to be as healthful as possible. As far as stirring up chilled peanut butter - it should be refrigerated as soon as the container is opened - it is a real struggle and I would prefer the small amount of saturated fats in the red palm oil to keep it solid.

Edited by Ulysses G.