Settlement Visa Extention In The Uk + Ilr Advice

Do not count on a certificate alone. It is a requirement that there is a letter confirming suitable accreditation, that the course included stipulated citizenship materials and must be signed and stamped by that college.

I have looked on the college website and it seems remarkably short on information about the courses. There is no mention of citizenship materials or suitability for ILR. Be very careful if this is what you plan to submit. If it is not correct ILR will not be granted nor will your fee be returned.

It would be of great interest to many people here if it is above board as the UKBA generally expect a course to last about 30 hours (on their website). There are colleges promising the world and delivering a lot less.

If this day course is considered OK by the UKBA please let us know when ILR is granted!

Edited by bobrussell

I will let you know how he gets on but he is a difficult guy to get the truth out of. Think he said the application goes in end of September.

We have just got home from Preston taking the Life in the UK test and my wife failed again only got 14 questions right and you need 18. We will book tonight to take it again next week 6th or 7th time. Been so many times I cant remember Fingers crossed we get it next time. If not will have to book into the test centre on Chapel Street Preston to get the A1 English pass and apply for the FLR.

Can some one please let me know if we go for FLR can we get a visa for her two children in Thailand? We did hope to get ILR then we could work on that in a more relaxed manner.

We are very grateful for all the above advice given especially from 7by7 who has been a star on this site.

Your wife does not need ILR for her children to apply to settle in the UK with her. Indeed, they could have applied, if your circumstances had permitted, at the same time as she did. So FLR is fine.

See Settlement, children, paying particular attention to SET.8 What is sole responsibility? for more.

It has to be said that the longer sponsoring parent and child(ren) have been separated, the more difficult showing sole responsibility can be.

Wife had a talk with his wife today and she said didn’t want to talk about it as I(me) don’t know what I am talking about and they had taken advice from the local multicultural office, and they said the certificate was ok for ILR. She did say the last day of her visa was 13th October and they will send the application in next month.

Will see how this one pans out.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news today :D my wife passed the life in the UK test. We had it cancelled half way through the test last month as the UK computer network went down adding more stress and waiting. Just have to start getting the paperwork together ready to apply for ILR.

My friend above applies 13th September I will keep you posted as too what happens.:ph34r:

Many thanks for all the help on the site.

Do we have a thread on filling out the ILR form would be helpful if we had?

Edited by chewy22

• 3 months later...

Submitted our application for ILR on the 10th October application received on the 12th our last day of the visa was the 7th November money was taken out of the account one week after the application was sent, its now been 12 weeks. Have a letter stating case number and case started on the 12 October. Anybody have recent experience of how long they take to give a decision?

I don’t know what has happened to our friend’s application they are also waiting for a reply so I don’t know if their application will be successful without the relevant documents as I posted above.

Submitted our application for ILR on the 10th October application received on the 12th our last day of the visa was the 7th November money was taken out of the account one week after the application was sent, its now been 12 weeks. Have a letter stating case number and case started on the 12 October. Anybody have recent experience of how long they take to give a decision?

I don’t know what has happened to our friend’s application they are also waiting for a reply so I don’t know if their application will be successful without the relevant documents as I posted above.

My wife and step-daughters went in the same time. So far nothing back either. The UKBA are clearly in no hurry to process these despite the thousand pound price tag. Lousy service when you think about it but the only other choice is to pay more for the application to be made in person. I gather from start to finish most take a couple of hours. I suspect ten minutes questioning, ten minutes to process and the rest to print and stick the vignette on the passport!

For most of these applications there is little for them to do. Clearly non-standard applications will take much more work!

My sister-in-law and niece had ILR processed by post within a week, granted on grounds of abuse from her ex-husband to be. That did impress me! I am much happier to wait as long as it takes knowing that such applications (serious cases) can be processed effectively and speedily where necessary.

Edited by bobrussell

Waiting times

We will:

• decide 95% of postal applications within six months; and
  • decide 90% of applications made in person at a public enquiry office within 24 hours.

Remember that they deal not just with ILR applications from Thais, but all leave to remain applications from all nationalities; they must receive thousands of such each month.

As applying in person shows, when an application actually reaches the 'top of the pile' then the actual processing does not take long; unless for some reason further enquiries are needed.

The solution would be to employ more staff; but as both this and the last government are committed to running the UKBA at a profit (remember it's the politicians who decided to charge for FLR and ILR applications, and they who decide the fees) that ain't going to happen.

To be fair to the UKBA, they do clearly state on their website that applying by post can take a long time; see above.

I am far less concerned about the waiting times for our application. Life goes on as normal while we wait. This is very different to settlement visas where families can be separated for long periods and life gets put on hold for some!

My wife feels left out because her sister got ILR within a week and my sister-in-law got hers within a few hours (by paying for in person application). More an issue of losing face rather than anything else!

• 2 weeks later...

Today I have seen the cert and it is an E1 test pass. He now believes this is enough to use for the ILR application is he right. I have read the UKBA site and it's not clear. I thought she would need to progress from level 1 to level 3.

From ESOL course in English with citizenship

A 'relevant ESOL qualification' is
  • an ESOL qualification in speaking and listening at Entry 1, Entry 2 or Entry 3 level approved by the Office of the Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual); or
  • one National Qualifications Unit in ESOL at Access 2, Access 3 or Intermediate 1 level approved by the Scottish Qualifications Authority.

'Approved awarding bodies' in England, Wales and Northern Ireland are:

• Ascentis (formerly Open College of the Northwest)
  • Cambridge ESOL
  • City & Guilds (Pitmans)
  • Edexcel
  • Education Development International (EDI)
  • English Speaking Board (International) Limited
  • National Open College Network
  • Trinity College London

In Scotland, the only approved awarding body is the Scottish Qualifications Authority.

So, if by 'E1' he means 'Entry 1' then he may be right, but only if the awarding body is on the above list and the course she attended prior to taking the exam was provided by an accredited college and included citizenship materials; she will need confirmation of this from the course provider.

See Question 5.3 and associated note 2 of form SET(M) as well as section 22 of the SET(M) guidance notes, especially 22M

Just got an update on my wife friend who used the white chapel college to obtain a certificate and then applied for ILR, see previous post, She got her passport back this week with a “Resident stamp” on the inside. Does she now have ILR? If so they have got around the rules too obtain it.

Sound too good to be true if that's how to quickly satisfy the Language requirement...

There's no stamp in the passport anymore though ?

I thought it was all changed to only issue a Biometric ID card renewable after about 5 years.

and nothing at all in the passport such as a rubber stamp or vignette sticker as was done a few yeas ago.

Chewy, I haven't seen an ILR endorsement since my wife got hers 10 years ago, and I'm sure they've changed since then. I'm also sure that it wont say "Resident Permit."

Maybe there's some misunderstanding here and she has not got ILR but residence under the EEA regulations; what nationality is her husband?

If she has indeed been granted ILR then she must have either:

Satisfied the KOL requirement; unless she is exempt there is no way of obtaining ILR without doing so.

or

Obtained false documents to show that she has satisfied KOL and so obtained ILR through deception.

If you suspect the latter, it is up to you what action you take.

Wife submitted her ILR application end of October.Last week received her Visa..Processing time 10 weeks.Good considerringXmas/New year holidays.

The ILR Visa is a full size Vignette sticker in Passport. The Visa is headed "Residence Permit"

Chewy22 ,sounds like your wifes friend has met KOL requirement & obtained ILR.

The UKBA regularly update there list of approved test providers for a purpose.Not suggesting

for a moment you can pay £450 to a college for a day course & meet the requirement for KOL is suspect . To do so would be Slanderous giggle.gif

Wife submitted her ILR application end of October.Last week received her Visa..Processing time 10 weeks.Good considerringXmas/New year holidays.

The ILR Visa is a full size Vignette sticker in Passport. The Visa is headed "Residence Permit"

Chewy22 ,sounds like your wifes friend has met KOL requirement & obtained ILR.

The UKBA regularly update there list of approved test providers for a purpose.Not suggesting

for a moment you can pay £450 to a college for a day course & meet the requirement for KOL is suspect . To do so would be Slanderous giggle.gif

Lucky you! We are still waiting for ILR!! Paperwork went in the same time yours did!

We got the visa today with RESEDENT PERMIT on the inside. biggrin.png

I don’t wish to report the above as I think it would be bad karma; just think it is very wrong how they got it. Even found out her husband didn’t even send in his passport when it clearly states you have to unless you don’t posses one?

Not sure the UKBA are doing the job properly and just taking the money,

On a lighter note the UKBA sent with our paperwork someone’s letter that was addressed to a solicitor so I now have their details.ohmy.png

Edited by 7by7
Font size increased to make easier for older eyes to read.

Congratulations Chewy.

I remember you from 2+ years ago when we were Waiting for FLR.

Were did that time go i am sure it was only last week

My wife got ILR in Sept so all is well

Married 4 years Tommorow So might just treat her to a new Iron ( if I do I doubt we will make it to 5 Years )

Congratulations Chewy.

I remember you from 2+ years ago when we were Waiting for FLR.

Were did that time go i am sure it was only last week

My wife got ILR in Sept so all is well

Married 4 years Tommorow So might just treat her to a new Iron ( if I do I doubt we will make it to 5 Years )

I remember you Ken.. Does my wife still hold the record for longest wait for a settlement visa???

• 5 weeks later...

Chewy, I haven't seen an ILR endorsement since my wife got hers 10 years ago, and I'm sure they've changed since then. I'm also sure that it wont say "Resident Permit."

Maybe there's some misunderstanding here and she has not got ILR but residence under the EEA regulations; what nationality is her husband?

If she has indeed been granted ILR then she must have either:

Satisfied the KOL requirement; unless she is exempt there is no way of obtaining ILR without doing so.

or

Obtained false documents to show that she has satisfied KOL and so obtained ILR through deception.

If you suspect the latter, it is up to you what action you take.

I know it’s a bit of a pain to bring this thread up again but it has taken a new twist.

The visa my wife friend got did indeed say resident permit but underneath it says “limited leave to remain” with an expiry date of Jan 2015 they got the visa Jan 2012 so looks like I was correct and they only got an extension for 3 years and not ILR How do I know? Well he came to me in a panic today. So it looks like they will have to start the process again and do it the correct way.

Be warned of these colleges promising false hope and taking £450 of your cash for a document that does not fit the requirements.

I had a closer look at my wife ILR visa and it clearly states Permanent indefinite leave to remain with no expiry date it does look the same as theirs but the wording is different on the bottom

Edited by chewy22

Not surprised about the FLR instead of ILR. The system is pretty clear cut and I suspect there are no loopholes.

My wife's ILR application was sent in October and we are still waiting! Some SET (M) applications are still pending at 22 weeks! The 6 months processing time seems to have become a target not a limit!